title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Monday, August 5, 2013

Moody




Today's high temperature was:  66 degrees
Today's humidity was:   31%
Cloudy
=================================================

You guys are good!  Our pastor has been at our church for three years.  When he did Fred's funeral, I thought he was in his late sixties.  Pearl thought he was mid to late sixties.  When Dar went with me a few times, she thought he was near seventy.  When my sister visited one Sunday and I asked her, she said, 'well he's older then I am.'  So, I had to find out.  He has a Face Book page and I went searching.  His birthday is listed as September 9, 1958.  I thought it was a typo, LOL.

Then, last June, his youngest daughter graduated from high school.  

So--Pastor Lewis is nine months younger then my son!!!  He will be 55 in a few weeks.  

He looks much older the my son.  He looks older then my sister and her husband.  In person, he looks older then the picture I posted.  When I found out his true age, it gave me a different perspective of him--for some reason.  Then I found out, he lived in Saginaw, the same time I did, about two blocks from me.  He grew up Catholic, attended the Catholic Church were I took my grand children, when they came to visit.

He fell in love with a Methodist preacher's daughter and changed religion, then went to Divinity school to become a Methodist minister.  I have seen pictures of him at his last church.  He looked quite young, had a full head of dark brown hair--then six years ago, he and his wife were driving down I-75, he hit a patch of ice, the car slammed into a tree way off the road and she was killed instantly.  His daughter was only 13 at the time--he has three older sons--one was still home in high school.

He told us about it one Sunday, had the whole congregation weeping--it was part of his testimony on how he made it through that horror and still came out, his faith intact.  I suppose this is why he is such a good minister?  He is down to earth, very human, doesn't stand behind that pulpit all Sunday morning.  Must have his sermon's memorized because he walks down the aisle sometimes or stands at the foot of the altar, down on our level and talks.  Every single one of his sermon's pertains to our every day lives.  He is NOT a preacher--he is a teacher and I love that.

That little girl he is holding in his arms, is his first grand daughter, for her baptism.  She is named Patty--after his wife.
================================

So--I am in a mood.  I woke up at 7:30 (amazing, I know) and remembered that I had yet to take the rent check (due the 1st) up to the office.  The last day they will accept with no late charges is the 5th.  Jumped into my clothes--drove up there, and put it in the slot.  Came back home and pretended I was just waking up and went through the morning routine.

I had the business card out and was going to call the tree service (the ones who took down the humongous willow tree between my place and Tami's four summers ago--Tami--the one who really wanted it down and was going to pay half and never has?).  I had my hand on the phone and heard tree trimming noises and wood chipper noises coming from back of my place.  So I walked over and there they were.  So--the guy is going to stop in before he leaves the park and give me an estimate on trimming up my big Maple tree.
===================================
Then I walked down to Pearl's and she was busy cleaning up her dining room--I helped her move her table into the living room and we sat and chatted a bit about Dar.

"She must really like you," said Pearl.

"Why?"

"Because she is always down to your house asking advice.  It seems like she needs you for advice."

"Well--she rarely takes it."

"I know.  But....well maybe she just needs you to reinforce her feelings---or make her feel better."

"I just don't like how she always implies...or just comes right out and says how everything she buys or has or what she does is better then me or mine...or any one's for that fact."

"She actually said that...to your face?"

"Oh yeah--many times."


Then we talked about how Dar and Tami are so alike and yet, hate each other.  They are both impolite, loud, rude and everything is always all about them.  They will ask you a question and before your explanation is given, they will jump to an entirely different subject (about them), or check their watch or cell phone while you are trying to answer their question.  We wondered if they are bi-polar or just weird!  
=======================================
I came home and decided to change the filter on the furnace.  I had purchased the filter material yesterday.  Now most of you have furnaces in  your basement or another room of your house. You probably have a filter in a frame that you just pull out and replace from time to time.  People who live in manufactured homes have a wall unit that is hidden behind a door in a closet like area.  

Mine is behind a door, next to the bathroom.  You gotta take off the front of the furnace, cut new pieces of the filter material to put in and replace it.  So--it is easy and only took me 20 minutes.



An innocent enough looking door

                   Lift this up and remove
                                                                              and there is the furnace

Lay cover on its face on the living room floor

Take off old filters and reveal this---YIKES!!!

Cut filter material in half
Vacuum door louvers





















Put in new filter piece and replace metal bands to hold in place
Lift door, put down into track and snap rivets into grommets at top
Vacuum outside of furnace cover

Vacuum inside and outside of door and close



Notice how dirty wall around door is and promise to wash that down!

=========================================================

Got it done and sat down and watched my Soap and at 2:00 the tree service guy walked up to my door and we went out and looked at the job and he will do it--the smaller branches and a couple of bigger limbs for $100.00.  Pretty good price, but then, in the last four years he has been paid very well for the other two jobs he did for me.  I told him there was no hurry, "sometimes before the snow flies", and that my neighbor Tami works nights and sleeps days so maybe he could come in the afternoon?  He said he probably could and may be back as early as August 20th--which would be very cool!

Then I noticed that the carpeting behind the back of the toilet looked dirty.  I just had the carpet cleaned a couple of months ago, but apparently the guy didn't have a small enough attachment to get back in there?  So I got my Resolve carpet cleaning stuff, sprayed it down and brushed it in and will vacuum it up later.  Then I noticed that the toilet, sink and vanity needed a clean up, so...................if you look around--there is always a place in your home that needs cleaning in some way!!!!!
=========================================
Buddy likes to nap back there,
so
I put the cushion there for him



I think I need to move the table over a bit--he looks
like his ears are squashed.

My Precious Boy!!!








9 comments:

  1. What a tradgic story about your minister. It's very special that the family have named the new little girl after the Grandma she will never know. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog after missing it for a couple months. A good start to my day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you were meant to find this minister again, living within two blocks when you were younger! He sounds like a keeper for a spiritual guide.

    Which soap to you watch? I have a favorite or two I try to catch when I can.

    I think Buddy must have been a gunslinger in a previous life. He wants to sleep where no one can sneak up on him yet he can see everything that's going on. I wish I could have a cat but I'm allergic. They are more entertaining than dog and you don't have to walk them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew it :)
    he is much younger then he looks.
    You reminded me
    I have to check my filter
    but a lot easier then yours.
    Have a good day
    misty rain
    I like it....

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is very sad about your minister.

    I wish I could be more like you and accomplish ONE thing everyday. So many days I come home from work and don't do much besides the normal housework and play with my dogs.

    I'm LAZY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad you are getting around better. Buddy is a sweetie. I posted

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a productive day you had! I usually just want to go to bed the instant I walk in the door. Buddy is so cute. Almost enough to let my daughter get one. But no - we have a fantastic dog who would not enjoy that!
    You sure don't look your age either, so your pastor has nothing on you! LOL.
    Take care and keep enjoying this weather.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No wonder your minister looks a bit older than he. Goodness, how terrible.

    I would hate to have a job like that to replace a filter, but girl you are on the go all the time. And, yes there is always something that could be cleaned; I've become rather good at ignoring some of it.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. My son looks very young. He's 39 and still gets carded. I told him that he better stay looking young because all my friend's kids are getting fat and balding and that would make me feel old.

    We had to have a huge tree on our property taken down. It costs $700, but it was huge and they removed all the wood. Probably sold it for firewood.

    Oh, you have to clean those door louvers? :)

    ReplyDelete