title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Tired Tuesday

The high temperature today was:  69
The humidity was:  34%
Could the weather be any more perfect?  
NO!
===========================================



After working outside yesterday, for a couple of hours--I was hurting so bad that I couldn't get to sleep.  I got up around 1:00 and rummaged in my bathroom cabinet until I found those lovely pain pills they gave me after my hip surgery.  These little miracles are called Percocet.  I took one and slept until 9:00 and got up with no pain and no stiffness.

SO--I decided, I should do more this afternoon.  Three and a half hours spent on the front garden!! I think another Percocet at bedtime is in order.


This is what it looked like in 2006--Fred put an edger around it for me.  It was to showcase my spring flowers.




Fred started giving me lilies for Sweetest Day and I planted them in this garden.  Then I transplanted my Momma Iris and a beautiful purple iris in this bed.



Now it was an Iris and Lily garden, along with the spring bulbs.  I also had a large Lemon Lily, that had been my Mother's, in the middle of the garden.

Then, Jackie, from across the street, thought I needed some Rudbeckia, so I planted one little plant on the west side of the front garden.

Well--four years of not being able to weed or take care of the gardens and--the Rudbeckia  took over--choking out the other plants.  

When Pearl came down this morning, we went outside and discussed what to do.

"Well, that Rebecca has certainly taken over the entire garden!" she said.  (Notice, what she called it :-) )

"You mean, Rudbeckia?"

"You call it what you want--it's name is Rebecca or Brown-Eyed-Susan."

I am not going to fight with Pearl over a plant name--not any more!!  She worked in a garden shop and she knows the name of all plants--remember?

"Well--I'm going to tackle this garden this afternoon and by dusk--there will be NO Black-Eyed Susan's or Brown-Eyed Susan's or Rebecca in it!"  

This has taken over the entire garden.  It looked like a huge planting of just Rudbeckia!

I still have a bit on the west end, but now my garden is back to being Iris and Lilies!!

The pots are filling in nicely.

I wanted to water everything--didn't think my new hose would reach all the way around the front, so I put another section on and watered with Miracle-Gro on everything.

When I was done, I turned off the water and went to un-screw the other hose and--it exploded water all over me with such force--kind of like being hit with a fire hose!  I had forgotten to open the nozzle and drain the hose first,  

OHMYGOSH!!!  I was soaked!!!  I laughed my head off.  Since there was no wet T-shirt contest in the area, I went in and changed.  Water dripping off my head into my eyes---I had just had a shower this morning--I did not need this.  So funny!!!

Come to find out--when it expanded, one length was plenty long enough to reach to the front.  GEEZ!!!

So--tomorrow, I tackle this garden--where I transplanted some Hostas.  It is an area under my Lilac
and Rose of Sharon bushes.  
I need to cut back the spring blub leaves.



This is what it looked like this spring.


Then, I noticed that my back porch was listing to the west--it is NOT on a cement pad.  Over the years, I have put shims under the back and front corners and the outside.  I pushed up on the railing to raise the porch and saw that I needed boards or something to put under the outside edge.

I walked down to Merle and Pearl's and asked him if he had some old wood--"I need a one by four."  He said he did.  I went on home and he came down in about an hour with three pieces of 1x4, about 8 inches long.  I raised the porch again and he put one under the back edge, one under the front edge and I shoved one under the side--in the middle.  Nice and sturdy and level!!!

I thanked him.  He went home.  Then I thought, "Why didn't I have HIM lift the porch and me put the shims under?"  Oh well!!!

"If I have to, 
I can do anything.
I am strong.
I am invincible.
I AM WOMAN!!!!!"

...and my back and arms are screaming tonight!!!










4 comments:

  1. Everything is looking great. Glad you got the porch level. We can't have you rolling off after a percocet. Hope that pain goes away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great progress, Judy, and it is all so beautiful. Those iris photos are lovely. You will have a lovely reward for all the hard work! You do have great neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing better than I am in the yard work area. I just can't seem to get with it here, then again I don't even own a lawn mower anymore; the farm manager mowed a couple of time but it's looking bad again.

    That Pearl cracks me, rather both of you do. But, she ain't never gonna give in about names of plants & flowers. LOLOL
    xoxo to you my twin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you've been really busy! It's hard to deal with a plant once it's started to take over. I hope that the weather stays a bit more settled - no more high winds! Jx

    ReplyDelete