title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Monday, June 17, 2013

Monday==Feels Like Tuesday--Where Am I?

Today's temperature was:  83 degrees
Today's humidity was only 33%
Sunny all day.

GOT IT DONE!!!!!


Too hot for me today--well, in the computer room anyway.  I do not want to turn on the A/C as yet, so I just suffered!!!

Tonight, while I watched Tiger's Baseball, I put together Pearl and Merle's family tree album.  It turned out really, really nice.  I want to take it up to her tomorrow.  She is going to love it--I hope!  I made a chart that goes on the first page that says, in essence, "Your great, great, great grandfather on your father's side".   Put in the name, then the great, great, great grandmother's name, and on down the list to her mother's side and the same kind of chart.  I think it will help her understand better.  Of course, there is an ancestor tree chart, and also a family tree page for each person, showing not only their parents, but their spouse and children.  To someone who isn't use to reading those types of things, it can be a bit confusing.    I also put tiny labels at the top of each family tree page with the specific person, i.e., "Great,great,great grandfather."  Because once she gets into the album, she will have forgotten what relation it is to her.

Just on a whim, while I was in ancestry.com, I typed in my 6th great grandfather's name.  I have huge genealogy albums for each side of my family, so we have the history--I thought.  While my sister was living in New York, she gleaned a lot of info.  BUT to my surprise, he and three of his brothers, fought in the Revolutionary War!!!  My sis and I could join the Daughter's of the American Revolution!!!  We could be member's of the D.A.R.  We have the proof.  I have the page with their names on it.  I have the record of them getting their pensions. I guess it's quite a big deal to be in the D.A.R.  I don't know, but---I haven't told my sis yet.  I will see her on Friday and show her the record.  She is going to FREAK OUT!!!

I had to take a couple of breaks today--my head was getting really foggy and dizzy.  I went up to Pearl's and took her the "step by step" list I had made on how to get pictures from the web, how to save them, how to find them again ( :-) ) and how to print them.  She was thrilled!!!

Then after my soap, I went out to my shed, got a bucket and went over to the service drive where I remember them dumping sand a few years ago.  I had purchased some succulent plants the other day and a cute planter to put them in.  

I put some of my pea gravel (like I used on the railing planters for drainage), then mixed a bit of sand with some potting medium, knocked the succulents out of their pots and planted them.  I had one left over--I love it--it looks like a rose.

I had a leaf shaped planter that I put a Philodendron in spring of 2012.  Maggie The Cat has eaten the thing down to a nub.  So I knocked the dirt out of that and repeated the drainage/sand/potting mixture and put the rose-shaped succulent in that.  I have them on the little table on my porch.  I think they will be able to stay out all winter--perhaps with a burlap bag around them?  I used to leave the succulents in my rock garden out all winter.  Or maybe, I will bring them because they are cute?  I probably won't though because, if I do, you know who will find them and eat them as her salad!!!


Cute--huh?  Looks like a giant coffee cup.





I love this rose one

An experiment to see how they do.

I definitely have to go on-line and find out the names for these pretties.  Someone on FB said they planted Hens & Chickens in their deceased husband's sneakers and have them outside.  Well--I still have Freddy's sneakers--just cannot throw them away.  I might just do something like that.  I could put them on the porch steps!

WOW--our Tiger's pitcher, Max Scherzer (who has one brown eye and one blue eye) just got his 10th win.  He is 10 and 0, which is a big deal.  First time since 1920 for the Tiger Team.  The Tiger's won another one and are firmly in first place in the Al Central.  Karen, Mark and some of their kids were down at the game tonight.

See ya tomorrow!!!  It's suppose to be cooler--YAY!

P.S.  I know when Dar's daddy's birthday is--I just might casually ask her what his name is and then go digging, LOL.  
======================================
Please go to this link and read the poem.  It is so beautiful.  My friend is a wonderful writer.



3 comments:

  1. Your little planters worked out very well. I think that they can stay out all winter. I used to have some old gardening shoes with plants in them. They finally just broke down and fell apart...it took years though. Everyone commented on them.
    What a generous person you are...doing this genealogy for your friend. She'll have many hours of enjoyment because of you.
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you're able to be active again; it's a beautiful thing. And, what you did for Pearl. I can't want to hear how she liked it.

    It was 97 here today, but mostly Patti I were out scouting houses. It's so confusing and I just want her to find something that will make her feel "at home" again and be happy.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used to have hens & chickens, also known as cats & kittens. Love the big cup planter.

    Revolutionary war!! Wow!! That is really something. It's amazing what you can find.

    Bella Rum

    ReplyDelete