title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Thursday, June 6, 2013

This Day In History

Today's high temperature: 66 degrees
Today's humidity:  55%
Partly Cloudy


I was looking through a book and came upon “This Day In History”, which reveals that on this very day, several hundred years ago, one Judith Jean Walts graduated from Byron High School.  The same high school her parents graduated from, her sister and her children.  At the time, it was called Byron Agricultural School--with a population of around 400 students from K-12.  To be sure, a wondrous day in ancient history.

Senior picture--note the beautiful pearl "collar"--we always had a pretty collar
 to wear with our pullover sweaters.

A pre-Senior prom picture.  She looks so pensive.


Senior prom with best friend Arlene and our
future hubby's.  We all look so serious!

Our group.  Always together--going to the movies,
swimming parties, pajama parties, band, classes.

There were six--we were going to all live close to each other--raise our kids together--and end up sharing a nursing home together.  Now three are gone--Judy, Emma and Arlene.  Bethie, Sally and I remain to remember and lunch together.  Why those three and not us?  Who knows!

I could only find one picture of me on graduation night.  Strange.

===========================================================

So--today, several hundred years later--I did very little.  I walked down to Pearl's and we yakked for an hour.  Rather, she yakked and I listened.  She was talking about the same things she told me yesterday.  I pretended all her stories were new to me.  We did not have a "discussion" until it came to our talking about graduation and weddings and when our kids were born.

She told me she got married in 1955 and her son was born in 1956.

I said, "I thought you got married in 1954 and your son was born in 1957, a year before mine."

"Oh--I can't remember.  How old am I now?"

"You were seventy-seven on March first."

"Oh--that's right.  Okay--we've been married  fifty-nine years.  OH GOOD LORD!  Fifty-nine years?  Anyway, my son was... is fifty-six years...ah...was fifty-six in May...so subtract that--what's the year?"

"Nineteen fifty-seven."

"Okay--that's right.  My first daughter was born in nineteen sixty and my second in nineteen sixty-two.  I had a couple of miscarriages between my son and daughters."

Then we saw Dar come out of her house and start walking up the street with a cigarette hanging out of her mouth.

Pearl says, "Look at that!  All the time I smoked and I NEVER let a cigarette hang out of my mouth like that!"

"Looks kind of trampy," says I.

"It sure does!  Brother!"

Then we gossiped about the neighbor that lives between us.

"Tami told me she and Ron are working from five to five.  I am wondering why their cars are home now.  Did they get fired again?"

I said, "They are working from five to five.  Five in the evening to five in the morning.  They are home now and probably sleeping."

"I heard them banging that garbage can around early this morning.  It woke me up.  I thought they were getting ready to go to work."

"Nope--that was when they got home.  They are very noisy--they usually wake me up to."

"Yeah--and then she complains when Merle mows the lawn because she's trying to sleep!  Work normal hours and no one will have a problem!"

"Maybe we should encourage them to get really good paying jobs--like fifty grand a year a piece--for both of them--then they would move away?"

"Great idea!  Maybe move to Timbuktoo!" says Pearl.

We then were done gossiping, so we talked a bit about our cats and how they are worse to raise then our kids were.  

She just got her computer repaired and home and couldn't remember how to get on Face Book to play games or how to get into her e-mail.  So we went back into her bedroom and I showed her and then I had her do it.  Then had her go back to her desktop and find FB and her e-mails again.  I think she will remember now.

She turned to me and said, "What would I do without you to help me remember?"

I said, "I will always be just fifty steps away!!"

And then I came home.  Productive morning. 

Then I drove into Brighton.....

There was so much salt on the fries, it burned my mouth.


This was left when I got full.  It had hardly any taste.  
I couldn't taste the beef for the sauce they had on it.
I won't be buying another one of these for a long time--YUCKY! and to think, I used to love them.

Next time I get a craving--I'm getting on the highway and driving 20 minutes north and get me a Flint Style Coney Dog!!!



My Weigela is coming into full bloom





Fred's Lily gifts to me are going to be gorgeous this year.


Fooling around with my camera, LOL.

I've worn a light sweatshirt all day--it's been that cool.  My grand daughter, who lives in Mesa, AZ told me to come visit because it was in the 100's.  I told her that was way too hot for Gramma--even if it IS a dry heat, LOL.  I cannot take the heat that is why, I could not survive in Florida in the summer.

I spent two weeks in Boca Raton in August 25 years ago.  I went outside to mow my friend's lawn and almost had heat stroke.  The neighbor came over and told me to get in the house and lay down in front of the A/C vent.  Their grass is funny anyway.  Not real grass--but kind of like a ground cover viny thing.  You could pick up one strand at the edge of the lawn and pull up a line of 20 feet or more of the stuff.

So I stayed in the house. It was too warm some days to even go into the pool.  I decided to drive over to a mall--ran from the house to the air conditioned garage and the air conditioned car and it wasn't too bad.  But when I got to the mall, to walk from the car, across that hellish hot concrete to the Belk's store--I thought I was going to faint.

I do much better and feel much better in cooler temperatures and low humidity.  Probably why I live here and have never wanted to live in Florida--even in the winter.  

To all my friends and relatives who DO inhabit the Giant Swamp, that I call Florida.  Be safe from the winds and rains and tornadoes!!!  Be safe, Inge, by the west coast and Sally by the north-east coast and cousin in Fort Meyers and Bee in West Palm!!!   








4 comments:

  1. Great photos from your archives! You'd like the temperature here - its around 18 degrees C with a cool breeze but wall to wall sunshine. The UK at its rare best!!!! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  2. 65 by the woods this morning. you put a smile on my face with
    your sharing. have a wonderful day. some errands this morning
    and home most of day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny, Judy.....do love the beautiful HS pictures and am so happy for you that you still have some HS friends to gather with. You share memories that are unique. So nice!
    We are bracing for the storm that hit FL. Fortunately it is moving fast and will blow north quickly - hopefully in time to enjoy the graduation party for my nephew, Nate tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the old pics. Your dress was pretty.

    I'm afraid I'm going to be like Pearl. Dad still has all his faculties at almost 96. His body is gone, but that mind is still going strong for the most part.

    I can't take the heat either. My sister lives in FL. She loves it but it isn't for me. I like the change of seasons. The summer is the worst part for me. I'm a real lightweight in the heat.

    ReplyDelete