title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Monday, June 10, 2013

Some Days Are Just Blah

The temperature today was: 73 degrees
The humidity today was:  96%!!!
Rainy and humid


It rained all night, but I heard not a thing!  I didn't get to sleep until 1:00 and I know it was raining then, but...Pearl said there was thunder and I didn't wake up or hear a thing!  Which is great--because of my fear of loud noises.  It must be the new roof--new boards and shingles--because it is pretty quiet in this place.  I have 6 inch insulated walls and double pane vinyl windows also.  This place feels pretty sturdy.  I have never felt it quiver in a wild wind storm nor vibrate from a near thunder explosion.  GREAT!!

I wondered what to do on this rainy day.  Inside work!!!

I took a shower.  Looked in the mirror to try and find that longish hair that I felt sticking out of my neck.  I noticed is yesterday.  You know, one great thing about getting old.  You no longer have to shave your legs or under arms as much....which gives you extra time to tend to your mustache and beard that is now growing.  How the hair migrates from legs up to face is beyond me...but it does!!  Found the hair, yanked it out.

Went into the bedroom to tear the bed apart to wash the sheets.  This is what greeted me.
His Majesty lounging against the pillow.  His girth does sort of resemble
Henry The VIII doesn't it?

I didn't want to disturb him, so I went into the kitchen and picked up all the dishes, loaded the dishwasher and started a load.

Then I had to rake the "sand trap" (litter box) and add a bit more litter so His Majesty and the Princess will have a nice, clean bathroom.

I posted the above picture of Buddy on FB--never again!!!  People making fun of him and he is such a lover.  I have a mystery I am trying to uncover--Buddy weighs 18#--too much.  Maggie weighs 12#.  They both eat the exact same amount of food!!  They are both active.  Buddy is much taller and longer then Maggie, but...why is he overweight?

He doesn't look overweight in this picture, I don't think.  He IS the size of a Fox terrier dog!!


Anyway--he has lost weight in the last six weeks and I will continue to give him less wet food.
=============================================
I had to go out foraging for food.  We have the Wal-Mart store and a Meijer store (like a Publix) and the rich people's store--VG's, which also carries Spartan brands.

For instance:

2 litres of Diet Pepsi at Wal-Mart is 1.38
At Meijer-1.59
At VG's--1.89

Most everything at VG's is a dollar or more then at the Wal-Mart.

So I mostly shop at the Wal-Mart--even though, in general, I hate the store.  Well, there is a huge street widening, repair, construction going on right now at the Wal-Mart, so today I went east into Brighton to the Meijer store.  I didn't get much and when I was done there, I went to VG's to their deli with their prepared salads and wonderful fresh fruit.  They make all their own deli products--and like last week, I stocked up.  I am having a huge craving/obsession with sweet cherries--so I bought another 3#.  They aren't our very best Michigan Sweet Cherries--they won't be harvested until next week, but these, from California, aren't too bad.

Meijer is the only store in this area that carries this product.


We not only have hard water here, but also a lot of calcium and lime.  After a while, my stainless steel is covered with the lime scale--along with my glasses and dishes.  I put a couple of tablespoons of this stuff in the dishwasher soap cup, along with the soap and it removes all the lime scale and everything just shines.  I think it also probably helps clear out the dishwasher sprayers and drain, while it goes through the washing cycle.  I had run out last week, so today--I got two bottles.  

Then I stopped at the big box hardware store place and bought a new pair of  loppers.  Mine broke a few years ago and I haven't needed them, but now, that I am able to work outside once again, my Lilac and Rose of Sharon bushes need a lot of old, large branches trimmed out and off.   I hope these last for awhile.


Pearl's hubby stopped when he drove by on his way home from work, because he saw the car trunk open.  

"Ya need any help carrying in?"

"Nope.  Thanks, Merle.  I can get it."

Of course, if I had 80# of bird seed, or a large container of litter, I would have let him help me :-)  Pearl walked down after supper and she seemed real good tonight.  She gave me back the book, said it was pretty good and that the guy finally walked to Florida.  

She said, "I wish you'd never showed me how to get that Bejeweled game!  I sat there for two hours this morning and played games on that damn computer!"

"Well--wasn't it fun?"  I asked.

"Yes, but--I looked at the clock and it was eleven-thirty!  I wasted near the whole day!!"

Then, we talked about her pain and the doctor's and came to no conclusions.  She hates her primary care doc, but is afraid to go to a new doctor--even mine--and I offered to take her and introduce her to the staff. "I just hate filling out all those forms," she said.  

No--I don't understand it--when I was in that kind of pain, I was on a tear to find out what was wrong and how to fix it.  I just know there has to be some kind of relief for her---or if there isn't--at least she would know, but---she just won't help herself!  

Anyway, she thanked me for all the family research I did for her and wanted to pay me--puleeze--it was fun for me, I told her--as I am a curious person.

"Yeah--I know you are.  You know an awful lot, about a lot of things, but...you're still weird.

I walked out onto the porch as she left, and we just laughed about us.

  
...and the older we get--there is more to laugh 
at about ourselves





7 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a good day despite all the rain. I'm glad that Pearl was less confused. It must worry you at times. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buddy is such a beautiful boy! Ms G would be happy to know that you let him have the unmade bed for awhile. She insists on that process, as well!
    Sounds like you made the best of a dreary day. Sure hope to find some of those nice Michigan cherries here when they are in season. We have had them in the past. I do love them, too.
    Two more days of rain ahead here...
    Love the reminder to just laugh...the best answer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a big cat, but I think that picture, the way he's laying makes him look fatter than he is.

    You had a productive day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your writing. Over time, you bring to life your nieghborhood and neighbors and friends. I enjoy hearing about it so much. i feel like I know them. That first pic of Buddy is adorable. You should do a video of him. It would go viral in two seconds. I copied that last pic of the old friends laughing at themselves and sent it to my friend. It's true. We do have a lot to laugh at. I've noticed my legs don't need shaving as often but my eyebrows sprout long, squiggly hairs. Lovely. Better learn to laugh, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buddy is adorable, and he is just a big cat. Some just are!

    You last few posts make me wonder if Pearl is in the beginning stages of dementia. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Have the T-shirt is right. I think the picture just made him look so big. He is a sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That cartoon at the end is really cute. I once saw a guy come in the vet's office with two pet carriers. He had two 35 lb. cats. Now that's a little overweight!
    Love that picture of His Majesty.
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete