title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Winter Time

Meanwhile--up at The Farm:
 "Ocean waves" of snow on the front lawn
and
a 5' high drift in the back by the garage.
Susan and Chuck live on a dirt road--1/8th mile south of the paved road.  The paved road was cleared on Monday morning, their road was cleared this afternoon.  Life in the country :-)

We are predicted to get 2-4 more snow tonight.
==========================
My appliances are 18 years old.  I used to have an appliance service plan on the water heater and furnace. When I got the new furnace, I canceled it.

In January, I noticed my dryer was not drying clothes in one cycle.  I cleaned out the vent really well, but still--only warm heat.  That day, I called the company that I get my electric service from and signed up for a plan that covered my dryer, washer, water heater, refrigerator, stove and dishwasher=19.99 a month.  Since they had lowered my electric budget payment to $40.00, I figured I could afford the extra.

The very next day, the dryer refused to heat at all.  I am not covered by the plan until 15 days have past.  Tomorrow is day 15!~  YAY--because I had not done any laundry in 2 weeks and I am about to run out of sheets and towels, LOL.

The last time I got a thermostat for the dryer, the part was $250.00.

So--I was telling Pearl about it--thus the ensuing conversation.

Pearl:  "Twenty dollars...a month?  That's an awful lot to pay."

ME:  "Well...it includes all my appliances."

"How much is that a year?"

"About two hundred and forty dollars."

"Well, that's an awful lot of money!"

"If I have one appliance break down--I won't have to pay any service charge for them to come out and look at it and if it needs a part....I won't have to pay for that either."

"Why not just wait until something breaks down and then get it fixed?"

"Because I don't have that kind of ready money in my bank.  I would rather pay for protection."
=========================
She called me yesterday.

"My washer just quit working.  The agitator won't move and it won't spin.  I have a tub full of water and wet clothes!"

"Dang it!  If you had the DTE service plan, you wouldn't have to worry.  You could still sign up for it and wait 15 days and then get your washer fixed."

"I can't go that long without doing laundry!"

"I haven't done any in two weeks.  I'm not out of clothes."

"Besides, twenty dollars a month is way too much to pay."

"Okay.  I'm anxious to see what the repair will cost you."
=================================

Pearl called me tonight after supper.   They got the washer repaired today--it was the agitator switch.  Total cost: $242.00  That would have paid their entire appliance service protection plan for a year!


7 comments:

  1. Good for you! I did the same thing on my appliances in Maui. One service call was almost twice what I paid for the entire year. Total agreement on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to forgo the service plan, but that was when appliances lasted forever and a day. Our refrigerator breaks so often, my neighbors think I'm having an affair with the repair guy because they see his truck in my driveway. :) Our plan on the dishwasher is just about to expire and H is going to renew it. It's now making a funny sound, but still working. I've caught up on all your posts. Some beautiful pics, especially of the farm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We got those snow waves and drifts here last weekend. Pretty but nol so fun while they are being made by the wind.

    I've never had appliance service plans. I guess it's something I should think about. Between Don and my dad there wasn't an appliance they couldn't fix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't buy maintenance agreements on new appliances from the store, as they usually are more expensive and the appliances are in warranty for at least a year. When you need these appliance service plans--cheaper to buy from the gas or electric company--are when your appliances get to be about 5 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good info, Judy - I didn't know there was a difference either. I'm checking in on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure that I've ever seen a 5 foot high drift in the UK. We get excited about 5 inches!! Jx

    ReplyDelete