title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Friday, February 20, 2015

I Am Not Missing

I forgot that it's Friday and I usually post every day except the weekends.

Not much today.  It was 25 degrees below zero this morning.  I was so grateful that my car started because I had to make an emergency run to deposit some $$ in my checking account.  While I was out, I decided to get some Diet Pepsi, so that I won't have to go out until way next week.

The low gas gauge on my car is lit, so I guess I won't be traveling too far until March 3rd when my SS comes in.  Oh--yes--I also got my car washed, so I expect that all the doors will be frozen, but at least my car looks nice without all the salt and slush on it.

I woke up this morning with a bit of swelling and soreness in my jaw--right below where my tooth was excavated, the core built up and temporary put on for my crown work.  I think it is just from where I got the Novocaine--she had to give me a double shot because that dang toothie didn't want to numb.  The tooth is not hurting.

I called my orthopaedic surgeon to get a refill on my Amoxicillan for all the dental work coming up.  I have to take it because, if I got an infection, it would settle in my hips and that would not be good.

Karen called me, as she didn't have school today because of the cold--most schools in the area are closed.  There was no reason for her call--she just wanted to chat.    She asked me about my tooth and I told her.  The conversation went sort of like this:

"Mom, can I help you with that bill?"

"Nope.  I got it.  My new insurance will pay five hundred toward it.  I had a credit with the dentist for one hundred twenty dollars and they gave me a ten percent senior discount of one hundred twenty three and I can handle the rest."

"How much is left for you to pay?"

"Four hundred and sixty three.  Instead of sending them thirty dollars every month for credit for any dental work I need, I will just send them fifty and have it paid off in eight months.  "

"Well, let me help you with that.  What is the name of your dentist.  Isn't she up in Howell?"

"I can't remember her name. "

"Mom!"

"Hey--I got it just fine.  Remember I told you they cut my gas bill to forty a month and my light bill to forty five.  I have enough now to get along."

"Oh, Mom!"

"Hey.  Keep your money.  I might need a loan if something has to repaired on my car.  Now, what are you going to do today to have fun on your day off?"

I have a couple of really wonderful children.  Actually, I have four children and two are wonderful.  Two outta four ain't a bad percentage!!

8 comments:

  1. What a sweet daughter you have to want to help with the dentist. But I know what you mean about asking for help on things you think you can handle. When ever someone says, "Why didn't you call me?" or things like that I tell them I want to save all my SOS's for when I can't figure out how to do something on my own.

    Hope your mouth feels better soon! The cap process is a bummer but worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you love it when one of your kids calls out of the blue like that! And, how sweet of Karen to offer help. I'd be the same way though not wanting to take it unless it's necessary. And, Judy I do hope that if you get in a bind that you'll let her know; after all it would make her feel so wonderful to help you. She has the gift of giving and there's nothing sweeter than that. :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Minus 25 - I can't remember the last time it was near that temperature over here!!! Look after yourself... cold air has a way of making sore teeth even more painful. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen is so dear. I didn't hear a bit of lecturing in that conversation, just love and concern.
    Enough of this brutal cold! I cannot imagine what 25 degrees below zero feels like. Tell me you wore a hat and mittens!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL on that last sentence. I have a friend who once said, "We have four boys. If they all reach adulthood without any of them going to jail, I'll consider it a success." Of course, she was joking, but you get the drift. Raising kids is an open ended pursuit. You never know where it will lead. My mother-in-law once told me, "As long as they're alive, they can embarrass you." Another little joke, but you know it's true. You do have two wonderful daughters, Judy, and you deserve them. I know it's very hard, but I hope you'll let them help when you absolutely need them. They want to do it.

    25 below and your car started. You should go out there right now and kiss it on the nose. Holy cow, keep your digits warm. You have to be able to crochet and cross stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I once heard a pastor do a sermon on not denying people the chance to be blessed by helping you if you need it! You raised her to be such a lovely daughter it would be to her benefit to let her help you sometimes. Don't be so stubborn! At the least you should get a small amount of gas money! OK...lecture over! Stay warm my Michigan friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete