title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Monday, February 23, 2015

Slow and Quiet

Day 6 of my Lenten Gratitude
I am grateful for heat, electricity and bright sunshine


Slow and quiet--What else can be expected of a day when the awaking temperature was MINUS 17 and the high temperature is Plus 10--above zero?  To look outside, it looks like a nice warm day--the sunshine is so bright and warm coming in the windows.

I did some laundry, bedspread, sheets and jammies.  Cleaned up a bit--I still haven't figured out how one person can make such a mess in this house.  She tends to leave dishes sitting in the sink when the dishwasher is only three feet away!

Worked on my slippers I am making for next Christmas.  The pattern isn't all that difficult, but the way it is written is.  I have made one pair of slippers THREE TIMES and I think I finally have it figured out.  Lordy!!  I have done more "frogging" (rip it, rip it) than I have crocheting.

I spent some time praying, specifically for people I know or people of people I know.  Pearl had her BENIGN vaginal polyp removed today at noon.

I thought Dar had the day off, but her car has been gone all day, so far.  She was supposed to call me last Thursday, after she went to (my) the doctor for the first time, but she hasn't called.  She probably hated him because he didn't pooh-pooh her.

A neighbor up in Byron wanted to know how to get a hold of Bethie.  He lives across the road from the house where she grew up.  Someone is remodeling the house and found a letter from 1939 and he wanted to let Bethie know.  I sent her an e-mail to tell her, with his phone number.  I hope that letter is something exciting and she has inherited a million dollars stored away in an unknown bank account.

I put a lot of "stuff" out in the squirrel feeder yesterday--stale donuts, stale crackers, dried cranberries, corn and peanuts, and today, Smokey and Ginger stopped by a couple of time.  I looked out and there was Baby Boo (tiny red squirrel) on the porch floor eating whatever they threw out of the feeder.  Lots of birds lately, but no Gold Finches.  I haven't seen any in months.














I did not watch the Oscar's last night--haven't in a couple of years.  It has all become so political.  Why the award recipient can't just get up on stage, thank their parents, their agent, director and perhaps God and then say Thank You and leave, is beyond me.  Now, they have to give a dissertation about their agenda and causes.  Who gives a rat's patootie! 

Most of the actors I still recognize have aged to the point where they look almost scary--thinking of John Travolta or the women are either bone skinny, dressed in see-through gowns or are so fat and stuffed into their gowns they look ridiculous.  I swear to you, I saw a photo of Oprah and her push-up bra had her boobs flowing way up just short of her chin.  Attractive!  NOT!

However, last night Downton Abbey was marvelous.  Ladies dressed and acting like--ladies!  Shocking!  I can't believe this year's season ends next Sunday.  Why don't they have it showing for 3 months?  Now we have to wait until next January for the 6th season.  I love this show, 


because.....

I called to make an appointment to go to the Food Bank, Wednesday morning.

I expect tomorrow will be much the same as today.  There is something comforting in that fact.


5 comments:

  1. You hit on one of my pet peeves---women wearing clothing that is a size too small by the standards that we used when I was taking tailoring classes in the 60s. They pop out of the tops and have stress lines and creep folds everywhere! I don't see that changing any time soon. Sexy is in. What I really hate are the necklines cut down to the navels. The amount of body glue it must take to keep them in place is mind boggling.

    I don't mind the "agenda" speeches at the Oscars. Most of it, this year, was about topics that were in the movies they won their awards for, so it fit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've had some of those sun shinny days that look like a nice, mild day, but when you step your foot outside, it's freezing cold. Nature can be so deceptive.

    I don't object to the politics. I just hate to be bored to death. I record it in case anything exciting happens, then I delete it if nothing earth shattering happens. I do find the fashions interesting, but it's hard to believe how low some will go. It seems like there's more competition over who can show the most cleavage than wining the Academy award.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mostly just watched the pre-shows on the red carpet. Years ago, I loved watching; not so much anymore. Of course, I still love the country music awards for the most part. However, I'm learning more and more that some of my favorites are leaning way back from where I stand on politics, and I guess it sounds crazy but that just takes them down a few notches in my eyes. Why oh why do they have to be SO vocal beats me. I guess because I don't talk much about politics that it turns me off. :)

    You have it so cold, but look at that beautiful day. We haven't had sun here in a while.
    Be careful when you go to get the groceries.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on Downton Abbey being too short of a season. It seems like it just began and it's ending already!

    I didn't watch the Oscars, too long for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have such patience crocheting. Are these ballet slippers or sliipper socks?

    I haven't watched any of the Oscar movies yet. I do want to see Alice, with Julianne Moore. Now that's a woman who is aging gracefully in real life - not too skinny OR fat. Just classy.

    ReplyDelete