title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Relief From The Heat

Today's high temperature was:  74 degrees
Today's humidity was:  47%
Beautiful!  All windows and doors are open
=============================
I make spaghetti sauce, each Christmas, for the men on my list--4 quarts, frozen in two- 2 quart bags.  Last year, it just did not turn out well.  It was way too thin and runny and a bit greasy.  The last few months, I have made small batches to see what I might have been doing wrong.  I think I figured it out, as this last batch was nice and thick, didn't run off the cooked spaghetti and was very tasty.  Good thing because in November, I have to start making this stuff= 32 quarts, at 5 quarts at a time.






===================

Got another one of Chrissy's books up on amazon.  This time a children's book.  It's a cute story.

Here's the LINK.  Also in a Kindle Version here..
========================
My sister gave me some bounty from her garden.  I love sweet corn!  I always boiled it in a kettle.  What a pain.  Get the pan out, fill with water, wait for it to boil, insert corn, wait for it to cook--for 2 ears of corn.  Then I read a post on Bella's blog.  She told of how her husband, wraps the cleaned ear in paper towel, drenches it with water, put in the Microwave and--6 minutes later--it is done.

I tried it,  OHMYGOSH!!  It is steamed and moist and delicious!!




I twist the ends of the paper towel.  It reminds me of a Tamale :-)







============================

I learned something new today.  It is NOT called cement.  It is properly called concrete.  Cement is the powder they use to make concrete.  Who knew?  I've called it cement all my life.  I thought concrete was something stronger--with re-bar or something.



 It's almost like a work of art or a dance that guy in yellow does with that long "float".




When they were all done--of course the urge came back of wanting to run over there and put my hand print in the lower left corner of the wet cement concrete.  Instead, I saw Bob walk out of the house, so I scooted over for a snoop chat.

I said, "Don't you want to put your initials or the date in that wet cement?"

"Yep!  We always did, when we were kids.  Guess I'd better not now.  The park paid for that parking space."

"Are you going to put in a sidewalk?"

"Yep.  From the parking space, along to the front door.  Plus we have another parking spot for our son, over by the end of the house, probably run a sidewalk up from that too.  We have to pay for all of that."

"Well...if you have to pay for it...then you can put your initials and the date down at that end."

He laughed.

"Are you putting in a new front porch?"

"Yep.  We're putting in a deck, from the back porch here....all along the front over to just the other side of the front door.  Those steps are just temporary."

"I gotta tell ya, Bob.  I'm relieved!  We were afraid you were going to keep those ugly steps!"

He laughed, "Oh my Gawd, no!  They are just so we can get in the house.  The deck will look real nice.  White just like the back porch.  Probably put a roof over it too--I don't know for sure yet.  My youngest son and I are going to build it.  I can't work with Rob (the manager), we fight," (I had noticed the tiff going on Sunday morning.)

"Well...it's going to look really, really nice." I said.
==================
So, now we know....the ugly steps are going to be gone!!!!  

These people have a lot of money.  I'm afraid Jackie, Pearl and I are going to have to move out of the neighborhood!!  It's getting awfully fancy around here.  LOL






7 comments:

  1. An even easier way to do corn in the microwave is to leave the husks on and just throw it in for 3-4 minutes. Afterward the corn cob will just pop right out husk with no silk leave behind. I used to steam it in paper towel but this tastes the same without all the trouble.

    Glad you won't have to look at those ugly steps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, those steps have got to go. Looks like it will be real nice when it's finished!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg! that pasta looks so good. sigh....

    smiles, bee
    xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sauce looks yummy!

    I love fresh sweet corn, I've tried cooking it so many different ways, but the microwave is really easiest.

    I'm so glad they're putting a porch on that house!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sauce looks delicious! I always make my own and have since I was old enough to cook! That house across the street is going to be really nice when it's all done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've enjoyed watching the house across the street from you.
    I'll bet everyone enjoys your homemade sauce. Looks wonderful.
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Judy,
    I'm so glad you enjoyed the corn. We love it and it's been particularly good this summer.

    Thanks for finding out about those steps. Thank goodness they are going to do something about it. :)

    ReplyDelete