title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

My Lucky Day

OH MICHIGAN, MY MICHIGAN
Pouring rain and thunder.
Bright sunshine
Pouring rain
Bright sunshine
Pouring rain and thunder
Cold front
59 degrees at 10:00 tonight
Probably snow tonight, LOL
========================

I got a notice from my electric company that if I enrolled in the Senior Citizen program, I might get my bill lowered.  I checked my bill--it said Senior Program on the top of the bill.  I called anyway and I was told, "Senior program and senior citizen program are two different things."  No doubt another way to confuse us old people?

So--he checked for me and under the program, my budget payment will drop $16.00!!!!!  $42.00 a month on my budget payment program!!!!!
<Thank you God, thank you God, is what I yelled toward the ceiling>
===========================
Then, I went shopping at Meijer.  For over a year, I have been looking for a new billfold--mine is 20 years old and falling apart!  My billfold is the kind you could just carry alone--money, checkbook, cards--all of it in one place.  Every time I see them, the nice ones are so expensive.  Real leather, long lasting, but over my budget.  

Today, for some unknown reason, instead of walking straight back to the store, I walked horizontally and then turned and went down an inside aisle.  There was a whole rack of billfolds, glasses cases, etc.  I stopped to take a look and spotted a black Buxton--just like I wanted.  Original price: $25.00, marked down to $12.50, marked down to $6.00!!!  Well, don't you know, that pretty thang went right into my cart!!!

Got to the cat food aisle to find the litter I use was $1.00 off.  Got me a jug and 10 can's of wet food for $4.00.  Chips were 2 for $5.00, ice cream topping was $1.00 off and---I found a sweet red cherry topping.  Usually I use Maraschino cherries or Strawberry topping, but I have always liked the sweet cherry kind they use at the Dairy Queen.

When I checked out, I had $23.00 in coupon savings.  AND--for the first time in my life, I took my penny jug along, dumped them in the Coin Star thingie and got $15.02, cash money back.

I go in this Friday to sign the bankruptcy papers!
=============================
I suppose we are all saddened by Robin Williams' death.  Today I watched the police/coroner report in horrified details.    I have a couple of his movies on DVD, as I have always liked him.  I thought perhaps I'd go on amazon.com to get a couple more.  All his movies are "temporarily out of stock."  You know what that means?  Someone is buying them up so they can in turn, sell them on Amazon Marketplace at a much higher rate.  Yesterday, his DVD's were going for $5-6.  By weeks end, they probably will be going for $10-12 or more.  Greed?  Or, just people being smart?
=================
I posted on Face Book a bit about depression, what it's like, how there is very little to control it.  It is a disease--a chemical imbalance in the brain--a short-wiring of the nerves in the serotonin re-uptake center of the brain.  A couple of "friends" wrote, "We all have times in our lives like that.  We just need to remember out blessings and be glad."

I hooted when I saw their comments.  Lucky for them---they have NO CLUE what "real" depression is.

You can wake up in the morning with money in the bank, all your family and friends well and happy, sun in the sky, not a problem in your life--except you are in the dark pit of depression and you can barely force yourself to get out of bed, let alone get dressed and carry on a conversation.

I have battled it for 40 years now. Sometimes, I can feel it nibbling around the edges of my mind--sometimes, I can go to bed feeling wonderful and wake up in the morning, in that pit, and it doesn't leave for days--if I'm lucky.  If I'm not lucky--it will hang around for months.  It doesn't really matter what is going on in my life--the depression just comes.

When Fred died--I was NOT in depression.  Oh--I was sad and I grieved and I cried (a bit), but I wasn't depressed.  People think that's weird.  There is a great difference between being sad, blue, or down and depression.

Depression is like any other disease--it isn't a way to get attention and it isn't a way to have a pity party.  It is like any disease--arthritis, near sightedness, endometriosis.  You can try and control it, but...it's always there. It can also be genetic--Quite a few of my ancestor's had it--back then, they called it being melancholy.

I spent almost the entire year of 1976 with it.  I got up in the morning, got the kids off to school and went back to bed for the day.  I got up and got dressed a half-hour before they got home and acted like nothing was wrong.  I also had Agoraphobia--where I rarely left the house.  If I went to church, I had to sit in the back row.  If I went to one of the kid's school functions, I sat on the lowest bleacher, near the door. 

 When I went grocery shopping, which wasn't very often because we had a food delivery company, I might get as far as the third aisle and then have to leave my cart and walk very fast to the door and outside.  It was one giant panic attack after another--any time I was out of my house.  

One time, I had to go to a weekly series of meetings at the school for Mother's Club.  I only made it to one meeting because, I couldn't drive my car out of the driveway.  I'd get to the end of the driveway and back up to the garage and go back into the house, where I was safe.  It was awful and as I look through picture albums, there are no pictures of birthday's, Christmas--nothing in that year.  I don't even have a journal for that year--all the other years from 1972 until 2013--but none for 1976.  

The strange thing, some people that have chronic depression are the happiest acting.  They smile and laugh and tell jokes.  It's called compensation.  The minute the people around you quit laughing and leave, the mask comes off, the face falls, the shoulders droop.

A lot of comedians suffer from chronic depression--probably why they went into that line of work--to compensate.  

Right now--I am not depressed.  I'm not even blue or down or melancholy--who knows what tomorrow may bring.  
============
My snack and the new cherry topping.
Bits of sweet cherries in a nice thick sauce.
My lucky day!!!





7 comments:

  1. Chronic depression is a hard thing for people who don't get depressed to understand, heck it's hard even those who do get it to understand sometimes. You can have nothing at all to be depressed about and it still shows up and it's very real. The chemical imbalance can happen months after you've gone through something stressful but while you were going through the stress you were okay.

    I good friend of mine grow up with a mother who suffered with agoraphobia and that was so hard on the whole family. My friend was determined not to be like her and never stays home which also effected her family after she got married. Life sure is complicated, isn't it.

    I'll bet we have the same billfold...same brand and style at least, bought at the same store. I love that style. Is that electric bill reduction for seniors based on income or just age?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Based on age and usage. I use under 700 KW a year. You ought to get on the budget plan for both electricity and gas--then you know what it will cost each month. No really high bills in the winter months.

      Delete
  2. addiction is self medicating mental diseases like depression lots of times too. that's what happened to sarge and chuck. sarge had ptsd and chuck was bi-polar. both were undiagnosed (sorry, i should have done better) and that's what happened. sarge was sober 25 years when he died and chuck has over five now thank god.

    and to answer your question about the "cute" guy, yes, i have his number, and yes i am going with him!!! sigh. be still my heart.

    smiles, bee
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is hard for people who have never suffered depression to understand the darkness that takes over. While I have never suffered depression, I have watched my son struggle through the depressive lows of bipolar disorder.

    I cannot imagine what it must feel like, but clearly the pain is severe enough to drive people to take their own lives.

    I'm sorry you struggle with depression.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Depression is a very difficult thing to live with. And have you noticed how we call it "battling" depression. I guess it's because it's a war that is waged over a lifetime. It makes me so sad to know that he was suffering enough to kill himself. People don't understand how debilitating depression is. Many feel that if you don't have anything to be sad about, you should buck up and carry on. Oh, if it were only that simple.

    You've been looking for a new wallet for over a year. I take a while to buy a new one, too, because I'm very picky about it. I like what I like. And I use my wallets for a very long time, too. It's really kind of amazing how long they last. Most thing down't nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love when I save money - it makes me happy!

    it's so weird that we both wrote about depression!

    thanks so much for visiting and commenting on my blog I really appreciate it!!!!!! It's hard for me to talk to people about these things it's easier to tell to strangers for some reason.

    ReplyDelete