title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Just Another Day In The Life

Today's high temperature was:  27 degrees
Sunny all day
===============================
Well...here we go again.  Another brand new week.  What shall we do to make it momentous?  Or if not momentous, what shall we do to make it nice?  Or if not nice, what shall we do to make it through?  HAH

Man--I was up late Saturday night watching basketball and then I couldn't get to sleep because I was hyped up.  I had set the alarm for 8:00, because for Lent I GAVE UP, sleeping in and missing church on Sunday.  

I heard a strange noise that brought me up from the wonderful sleep I was having.  I could not figure out what the fuzzy noise was and then....ah yes...the clock radio, apparently tuned into a channel that wasn't coming through clearly.  I hit the snooze for 9 minutes more and fell immediately back to sleep.  Again the fuzzy noise, again the slapping of the snooze button.  That went on a time or two more and then finally, I had to get out of bed and then...it seemed all to be in a rush.

Feed cats, get my warm cocoa, turn on computer--NO--wait--into the shower, combed out the hair (simple task as I have it very short), figure out what to wear.  Clean litter box--Pearl calls and wants to talk?  At this time of morning?

No time to eat, so I grabbed a Special K protein drink and swallowed it down as I headed to the car.  Didn't check the time really and got to church 25 minutes early!!!  EGAD!!  No place to park near the front of the church as the Contemporary service was just ending and the lot was full.

Anyway--it was a nice service.  I almost fell asleep during silent prayer, but we sang some good rousing hymns and I felt content and peaceful as I left.  Forgot where I had parked and went out the front door--then had to walk 17 miles to where my car was.

I stopped at Wal-Mart on the way home to pick up 3 prescriptions.  I hate that store in general, but I love the kids that work in the Pharmacy.  I think I told you, when Fred died, two of them took time off work to come to his funeral.  They loved Fred.  His doctor's loved Fred and also came to his funeral.  The guys at the service garage loved Fred.  Everyone that met Fred loved him.  He was so easy going and chatty with everyone.  A thing we had in common.  I speak to total strangers all the time--in the stores, in the parking lots, wherever.  

I once convinced a pan handler in Boston to come with me into a cafe so I could buy him some food.  He wanted money and when I stopped and asked him what he needed money for, he said, "To buy some food."  So I offered the cafe and he declined.  Then I said to him, "You really want the money for booze, don't you?"  My daughter was standing there tugging at my sleeve, "Just ignore him, Mother."

I said to him, "I'll tell you what.  You come into the cafe and I will buy you a breakfast sandwich and some coffee.  I've got ten bucks.  Whatever is left over from what I pay for the food, you can have."

My daughter stayed outside, just in case she needed to call the police I suppose and the guy and I went in.  I had him order what he wanted to eat and then I handed him the ten dollar bill.  Then I went back outside and waited a few minutes to watch and make sure he was eating the food and not trying to get all the money back.  I could see him wolfing down his meal and drinking his coffee, so my daughter and I walked on.  

My daughter, who lived in Boston said, "Mom.  There are panhandlers all over town.  You can't slow down or talk to them or they can get aggressive in wanting money.  You just ignore them and walk on."  I found she was right.  If you gave money to each one, you'd have to take out a mortgage.  BUT.......

when we walked back to her apartment, we passed the same area and he was there.  I don't know if he had bought his bottle of booze as yet, but he looked up and smiled and waved at me and the rest of the week, while I was there and walked by that area often...if he saw us, he waved and smile and he never bothered us again.  So...........

I digress--anyway, every one loved Fred and so I still go to the Wal-Mart pharmacy because they had such respect for him that they attended his funeral.  
=================
I finished the large, full-size baby quilt I started in mid-January.  I only work on it while I am watching TV.  During my soap and in the evening.  Of course, with all the basketball games being on TV, I have been working on it a lot.  I cannot just sit and watch TV--I am too fidgety a person to just sit.  People ask me how I can concentrate on TV and cross stitch.  Well--I put the needle in an "X", look up at TV and then down at my work.  Baseball games are the perfect cross stitch companions because those games are so slow.  I have been known to make mistakes during basketball games.




 I now have four done and five to go.  These are for each of my grandchildren to take for their first born child.  I have them all wrapped in tissue in a nice storage box, so that after I'm dead, there will be something there for a great grandchild.  Weird, I know.





I have to admit, the farm one is my favorite.  Like any of my great grandchildren are going to be interested in farming--NOT, but--this project is also suppose to be fun for Gramma.  

Sunday night, I started a Noah's Ark one--while watching basketball and The Amazing Race.

Okay--a new week.  Let's go out there and do some good!!!  Or talk to strangers.  Or, make someone smile!  Or, whatever is your thing.

Later--Jude

P.S.  I almost forgot--a pix of my fave kid, as DJ in the musical Grease.


I was going on and on about him Friday night and someone
asked me if he was my grandson.
I could not love this kid more if he were!!
I still think he and my grand daughter Maddie are
adorable together  <sigh>



5 comments:

  1. I love your cross stitch project for all of your grandchildren. It's not weird at all and they will really treasure them. Just make sure you label them with your intent!

    I go to a dentist all the way across town for the same reason you go to Wal-Mart. It's nice to go places where people remember Don fondly. The dentist used to work with Don before he went to dental school and I like hearing the stories of those days.

    I love your story about the panhandler. You treated him with respect and he returned the favor by not bothering you again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all those baby quilts. I would have a hard time choosing my favorite. I think it is so sweet of you to leave something behind for your great-grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of one time I had gone into a store, and a man had approached my mom who was sitting in the car. When I got to the car, he left in a hurry. He was asking Mom for money, and she had offered to take him into the Burger King which was right there to buy him food, and he declined the offer. I'm glad that worked out better for you. You're such a nice, and sweet person Judy.

    You know I love the cross stitched quilts! :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being a quilter myself, you know how much I love your baby quilts! I have several put back for the same reason.

    I'm ashamed to say this, but I probably would have hurriedly passed by the man. I guess I have a problem trusting people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's wonderful that Fred impacted so many people. I know he was a goodhearted man.

    Your quilts are beautiful and I don't think it's weird at all that your making them for your great grandchildren. They will love them and your grandchildren will be so touched that you did such a thing.

    ReplyDelete