title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Saturday, February 22, 2014

"Trapped Like A Rat"

I am not driving anywhere today.



Dar called at noon.

"Help!  I'm trapped like a rat!"

"What's wrong?"  I was concerned that perhaps she had fallen or something.

"I can't get out of my house.  My steps and sidewalk are so icy!"

"Well...just stay inside then."

"I can't!  You know how depressed I get when I can't get out!  It's driving me crazy already!  I was going to walk over...but I'm afraid."

<good grief>

"Think of some project to do...read...watch TV...clean your kitchen cupboards...walk on your treadmill....."

"You don't mind being inside, but...I can't stand it!"

<her voice going louder and higher>

"Okay.  I will come over for a minute."

"NO.  DON'T.  YOU'LL FALL AND BREAK YOUR HIP!"

"I'll be fine."

So I put on my coat and boots and went outside.

The large "lake" in front of my car cracked and broke through as I stepped on it--no big deal.



 I looked to my right, down to the corner, it didn't look too bad.

Then I turned and looked up to Dar's
beige house, grey car and walked up

"OH.  MY.  GOD!" she said when she opened the door.

"Do you have any of that HEAT stuff that melts ice?"

"Yes."  She got the jug and handed it to me and I sprinkled some on her steps and then the sidewalk out to her car.  

"How am I going to get up the street?" she asked.

"Why do you have to get up the street?"

"Because, I have to leave for work in an hour and the ruts are so bad!"

"When you leave, back out and come down my way to the corner.  That street is better because the wind comes from a different way and hasn't blown the water up into ruts.  Go down and take the last street out to the main street.  It is more protected from the wind and shouldn't be as bad as our street.  Then you will be on the main street going out of the park and it has been salted and is clear--I think.  At least it was yesterday when I came home."

"Oh my gosh.  Sheila and I went out to a movie and dinner last night and when we got home, she was afraid the ruts were going to tear up the under part of her car--it was awful!"

<okay, so Dar worked yesterday, then went to a movie and out to dinner, came home, slept and goes to work again in an hour and she is depressed and going crazy because for FOUR whole hours she felt like she couldn't get out of her house?>

"What if it hurts my car?"

"Dar!  Calm down.  Take in a nice deep breath.  If you drive out the way I told you, I think you will be okay.  Try to stay to the side of the street where the ruts are less.  Okay?"

"Ah-hh."  She let out a big breath.  "I feel better now, but.....I can't get my paper!  I have to read my paper every morning or my whole routine is upset!"

<this woman is completely unreal!>

"I'll get it for you."  and I walked out to her mailbox, got her mail and her damn paper and took them back up to her door."

"There ya go," I said.  "Are you okay now?"

"Yes.  I think so.  See ya."

...and I walked back home.

I decided as long as I was out, I should check my roof.  Many residents here are having problems with ice dams--long icicles hanging and problems with leaky roofs.

Mine looked pretty good--thanks to that new roof almost two years ago and the special layer they put down to prevent ice dams.

You can tell I have good insulation in the roof rafters because there
is still a nice layer of snow.  If the insulation was bad, the
snow would be patchy or gone.


Like these two houses.



My white headed bird came back today and I finally got some pix of it--not very good pix because every time I even breathed, it took off, so I had to stay in my chair and zoom in through the window screen.  

I think the dang thing is a Parakeet!  By the shape of its head and its beak, which is sort of hooked, I think this was a tame Parakeet that got loose and is now running with the wild crowd.    It doesn't look at all like the all white sparrow I had visiting last August.






The rest of the day, I stayed, mainly in my recliner, watching a Walton's marathon and cross stitching.  One of those kind of days.


6 comments:

  1. That was my first thought too ~ it's a parakeet.

    Gosh, your road looks just awful. Doesn't anyone come through to take care of that street? When one looks out at something like that they might think the entire world is like that, too.

    Poor Dar. She does keep us entertained though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have far more patience with Dar than I would have! She's good for entertainment value but I would not like dealing with her on a daily basis. You are a saint!

    Yup, I agree. It's a parakeet. Poor thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, in answer to your question on my blog I am smiling. But first I had to cry. This has been a long time coming (Dale Jr's win) and I hope he continues to win many more this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Has she ever thought of assisted living? I guess you are her assisted living? I wouldn't have much patience after a while. Bless you!
    That sure looks like a parakeet. Will it come in?
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh geez i hate ice... you are such a friend to Dar! geez louise! i could be in the house just fine for a week! or until i run out of cat/dog food or coffee! my roof is like the only one with no snow.... so i quess i will see if the boys will insulate sometime. i need to go catch up with your posts now! enjoy your evening..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank goodness you got that new roof when you did and whatever they do to prevent ice dams. I don't even know what the hell ice dams are, but I can kind of imagine. Be careful on that ice. Dar is pitiful. Poor little parakeet. I mean the bird, not Dar.

    ReplyDelete