title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Valances--Neighbor's--Climbing up the Branches.

Okay.  I tried it for a couple of weeks and I had to get valances to make myself quit fretting and feel better.
The view as I step into my house

The view as I come down the hall into the kitchen 

The view from my recliner 

Merle and Pearl FINALLY got their tub converted into a shower--by the same company that did mine.  They came down the other night and I took them into my bathroom and went through the installation with them--new green backer boards, new floor boards under the shower pan.  Then I showed them how the seat is really nice and I explained that they would need TWO handles.  One on the back wall near the seat and one by the side where they step in and out.  Then I went on to show them how the shower head can be lifted out and used if you shower while sitting on the seat.

So--I went down to check it out.  The installers were just finishing up.  It looks great.  But--I noticed, only one gripper handle, by the edge to use to get in and out of the shower.

"Where is the other handle so you can pull yourself up from the seat?"  I asked Pearl.  

"Do you think I need one?"

So, one of the installers had her get in the shower and sit down on the seat.  "Now, try to stand up he said."

Of course she couldn't.  She had nothing to grab onto and that was with the shower pan dry!

"You got a fixed shower head instead of a wand.  How are you going to take a shower sitting down?"

"I'll just point the shower head this way." she said.

The installer said, "That can easily be changed to a wand one, if you want."

"How much will that cost?" Pearl asked.

"Not much.  Twenty-five bucks," I said.

She was still sitting on the shower seat trying to push herself up and it wasn't working.  I went over and reach out my hand to help her up.  She had one heck of a time, just walking from the seat over to the gripper handle to step out.

"What would another handle cost?  Over by the seat?"

"I'll have to check the price, but we can get you one, and come back and install it for free."

"What does it matter what it costs?"  I said.  "You can't use the seat without one."

"Well this whole dang thing cost nearly forty-five hundred!"

"So, what's another hundred bucks?  This will be the best investment you have ever made!"
=============================
Their daughter was there, cleaning house for them and I noticed she was in the bedroom, working on the computer.  She asked Pearl, "What's your bank password?"

"I don't remember," Pearl said.

"03011936", I said.

"No it's not, "Pearl said.  "We've changed all my passwords around."

I told her last year, after I got her computer cleaned out and fixed up AGAIN, that if anyone else worked on, I wouldn't touch it.  Too many people working on it without each person what has been done.

"Maybe you can figure it out," she said.

"Nope,  I wouldn't know where to start.  Kathy has been working on it.  She and you will have to figure it out."  I was in a snippy mood!
=================
I got back home and there was a phone call from Pearl.  "The guys just left, but I can't take a shower for twenty-four hours."

"You have to let all the caulking dry first."

"You never told me that!  Why didn't you tell me that?"  Her voice was kind of sharp.

"I guess I just assumed that you would know the caulk has to dry first."

She hung up on me.

I tell you what--there isn't one lick of common sense in that entire house!  I often wonder how those two have made it this far in life when they do the stupidest things!!!    
==========================
I am at the top of the, in process, family tree and nearly finished with all the research.  Now, I just have to put it all together in the book.  Proof it.  Make sure it makes sense and I will be on my way to completing another nice book for someone to keep forever.

13 comments:

  1. You can't have too many hand grips/rails in a bath area. I have 5 and they are all a couple feet long. Some I only use when I clean but all were used when I helped my husband shower. No common sense it right! Spend all that money and not put in a shower head that can be used sitting and standing both---that's what I have and probably you too.

    Your living room looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. and Merle has the med range Parkinson's so the worse it gets, the more hand rails he is going to need. I guess what frustrates me most is, they ask advice, they came down on their own, to look at my shower and wanted the complete demonstration. Then, don't reason out they would need the same or more. It's the same way with the computer. She messes it up, then has everyone who walks in the door try and fix it and then as a last resort, calls me. Programs added, passwords changed--I have no clue who did what.

      Delete
    2. I have enough trouble fixing my own computer issues, I wouldn't touch hers with a ten foot poll!

      Delete
  2. Your living room looks really nice! It all came together perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like Pearl shoots the messenger AND the helpers. It's a wonder she has any friends left. Wish I could've seen your 'snippy' in action. Sounds like she 'snippy'd you right back. Hope she holds off showering for 24 hours...

    I love, love, love the valances. Yes, the windows looked !naked! without them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a very critical person. Every time I am around her, especially if other people are around, she tells me in a very loud voice how deaf I am. She usually says that after she had asked me something and I am either in conversation with someone else or she's in the other room or I am sitting next to the loud TV and she is across the room. "I get so tired of having to repeat my words to you! Do you even realize how deaf you are?" She said this the other day in front of Merle and her daughter. So, I said to her.."I'll make a deal with you. You get an appointment with a Rheumatologist and do everything he tells you to do and I'll have an appointment with an audiologist." and she wonders why I don't visit every week like I used too.

      Delete
    2. You know... I'm thinking there are two kinds of persons. The ones who want to make life difficult for others, and the ones who want to be of benefit.

      Delete
  4. Love the finished room. It all came together beautifully, and the curtains are perfect.

    I would not want to work on someone else's computer after others had worked on it either. After caring for Dad, I cannot understand why anyone who is at Pearl and Merl's stage of life would not get a removable shower head and plenty of gripper bars. One bad fall can change your quality of life forever or even take you to your Maker.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you mind telling me the brand of shower you got. I'm interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got three estimates and went with Bath Fitters. Because--they use one piece for the shower surround so that is no caulking of chance of leaks in the corners. Plus they put in all new "green" water/mold proof wall boards around the shower and a new floor under the shower pan. The best investment I made in this house--at the time. It came in so handy when Fred had his heart-attack/surgery and couldn't stand for very long to shower.

      Delete
  6. Your room looks so nice, fresh and pretty! I can understand now why you wanted the valances; good move. :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love to have one of those tub showers. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful family photo's, very nice of you!!! the home looks good, i do love those curtains!!!!

    ReplyDelete