title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Monday, August 8, 2016

Memories--Memory Building

Isn't it something how just a word or a picture can trigger a memory from long ago?

I read blogs and if someone posts an old photo or tells of a memory of their young life, I am right back there.  I can see that memory of mine as if it is a movie, playing out in front of my eyes.

Sally posted a photo of her Mom riding in the rumble seat of a Ford Coupe.  Right away, I see my parents Model T Ford sedan.  No rumble seat.  My Daddy got that car his Senior year in high school and they still had it 5 years later when I was born and up until the time I was 5.  So dang cold in the back seat in the winter time.  Mother would bundle me up in a wool blanket, along with a hot water bottle.  We didn't drive too far, but it seemed like a long way.  The windshield wipers were manual.  Daddy steered with one hand, and worked the wipers, back and forth by a little lever up over the window.
================
Jean wrote about message T-shirts she and her husband used to wear and right away, I could see all of mine from years past.  I think my favorite T-shirt was one I got from the Tall Girls shop.  It was white with a long blue flower and said, "Tall Is Beautiful."  I still have the T-shirts from every place I visited.  Mt. Rushmore, Niagara Falls, Boston, on and on.  The ones I mainly wear now are green and white and have a big MSU on the front or a the Spartan logo.
=================
I had a great weekend.  The weather was mild and with low humidity, so all my windows were open 24 hours a day and still are today.  Apparently, the heat and humidity are coming back so I am enjoying it, while I can.

Pammie called me on Saturday just to see if my furniture had arrived, or if I was still sitting in my camping chair.  She said she felt bad taking my recliner before the new one arrived.

We talked about the upcoming wedding on the 21st, and I am going to ride down with her.  She may be staying here because,  Jennifer and ALL her family are coming in a few days before the wedding, staying at Karen's, and Pammie wants to be close enough to spend every minute she can with Jen's kids.

I told Pam that my new couch is as comfortable as any bed she ever slept in and she is more than welcome to come and stay as long as she wants.

Wouldn't that be fun?  At least for me. :-)

My son Mark continues to feel well and will also be driving down for the wedding.  I look forward to that day!!!

I don't think the marriage will last, but I look forward to the family get-together FOR the wedding.

I can hardly wait to see Jen and her kids!!!!!
================
Sunday I went to one of Maddie's best friends "Send Off" party.  I have known this darling young woman since she was about 5 years old.  She and Maddie were in the home school group and she and Maddie were in the ballet classes.

Susanna, was adopted from China, when she was just a baby.  The last 3 years she has been studying at a prestigious ballet school in Mississippi.  Now she is off for a 4 month adventure to China.  They will be dancing in a museum in the southern part of China and, sort of under ground, missionary work.

That part scares me for her, but in China, if they find out you are teaching about the Bible, they don't shoot you, they "caution" you.  If you keep it up, they jail you.  The people that come to the Bible classes, bring their children to learn and it is all very hush-hush, with only the interpretive ballet performances seen by the public.

While she is there, she is going to the little town where she was born.  She is not real enthused to do that as she says, "I am as American as you are," but it is for her own curiosity.  Like her looking into her genealogy, I suppose.






After the party, I drove into Brighton and picked up the (30+ years) old, much loved posters I had Michael's rehab for me.  What a great job they did.  The paper was all wrinkled, the poster frames broken.  Now I can put these favorite pictures up on my walls to once again enjoy.






I ordered a small chair side table from WayFair, so I put that together.  Even these old arthritic hands got the job done.




The neatest thing of all?  The bolts were coming out of my rocking chair.  None of the Allen wrenches I had, fit the bolt head.  I got an Allen wrench in the hardware bag with the table.  After I got the table put together, I remembered the chair and tried it.  Sure enough, the Allen wrench worked, so now my chair is nice and stable too.  That Allen wrench now resides in my tool box!!!

Karen stopped over after they attended the Send Off party and we had a nice chat.  
=============
Today, I am being lazy.  Doing laundry--all of two loads, sitting in my comfy chair, watching the Olympics and knitting.

Tomorrow starts a busy couple of weeks, so I am catching any down time I can. :-) 

6 comments:

  1. Thank goodness your weather gave you a little reprieve. I was helping (watching) a friend clean out her car (in my garage)(she's going to be an Uber driver) ... even my knees were sweating through my capris!! UGH!

    You sure got a LOT accomplished! Thanks for keeping us in the loop! Who's getting married?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that little table from Wayfair and the cat seems to fit perfectly, probably thought you bought just for her/him.

    Glad you've got the wedding to look forward to. Who is getting married?

    You should fish that 'tall and beautiful' t-shirt out and wear it when you need a compliment. I'll bet you'd get a lot of them, especially if you ran into Victoria Secret man again. LOL I'm glad my blog inspired some memories for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen's oldest child, my grand daughter Helene, is getting married on August 21st. it is going to be a casual, garden party wedding. We will have the canopy and Mike will stomp on the glass and then a couple of Catholic blessings thrown in also. I am wearing my Holy Spirit Protestant cross so we will have all bases covered. All we need now is an Iman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our weather is a little bit cooler, but still too humid for me. That little table is so neat. I hope you enjoy the wedding. I know you're dying to see Jen and the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So funny you mention allen wrenches ... my Andrew was looking high and low for just the right allen wrench the other day ... I hollered to him, there are a whole bunch in a ziploc in the kitchen desk drawer ... but none of them fit, haahaa. He's always working on some project. Your little friend who is going to China looks so sweet. I pray the Lord protects her. I'm big into graphic t-shirts. I love ravens so Andrew got me a Baltimore Raven one, and I also have a celtic raven shirt. I have a black one with "Got Cemeteries?" in white. I love my Carolina Nights shirt, and my patriotic USA shirt. I wear one of them nearly every day. People are always reading my chest, haaahaha. xoxo

    ReplyDelete