title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Time Flies!

August is always a pretty busy month, but this month seems more so.

I haven't even made an appointment for my Mammogram--2 years since I had my last.  Maybe the last week of August I can get it done.

You've heard me complain about dizzy spells and the two times they have been so bad, I blacked-out and fell.  My heart/pulse rate has been slow for the last 18 months.  The doc just says, "Better slow than too fast.  You get dizzy because you stand and move too fast and your blood pressure drops."  Yeah--well--in my opinion, if it gets too slow--you die!!!  I started taking ALL my meds in the evening.  Some at 9:00, some at bedtime.  It seemed to help a bit.

The cardiologist's office called to tell me they had me scheduled for my yearly check-in.  The PA would see me.  The usual EKG and blood pressure check and she mentioned that my heart rate seemed slow.  I was happy it was 52--up from the 49 it had been for months.  She mentioned it and I casually mentioned the fierce dizzy spells, and she looked at my chart and said, "Hm-mm.  Why don't we cut your Metoprolol in half and take it in the evening."

I thought Metoprolol was for high blood pressure--to relax and open the arteries, but she said it was also for A-Fib people to slow the heart.  

Wait.  WHAT?

I replied in a not so nice voice, "I had ONE A-Fib instance!  In the hospital, they told me it was because my Potassium was low and I was dehydrated!  They TOLD me it was not a heart problem.  They TOLD me I have a good, strong heart!"

"You do."

"Then way am I on an A-Fib med?  I have to take that damn blood thinner and now this?  I don't think I need to take it at all!"

"Just take half a pill and call me back in a couple of weeks to let me know."
===========
I swear--we have to have a near medical degree and research every med we take and ask questions and.....no--you aren't going to pat me on the head and pooh-pooh me because you think you know more and I am just a lowly human in her mid 70's and not worth keeping alive and well!!  DAMMIT!!

So, I cut the dang thing in half and take it at 9:00 and---haven't had one teeny-tiny dizzy spell since!! Not a one!!!

I woke up Sunday morning and knew something was different.  I didn't feel foggy in my head.  I felt clear and I felt strong and my body didn't ache!  I went grocery shopping--walked from one end of Walmart to the other and aisles in between and never felt tired or dizzy. I loaded up my cart, came home and made 8 trips back and forth to bring in all the groceries AND put them all away, without having to stop and rest!!!  For the first time since I got it, my new fridge has actual food in it!!

I felt great!!!  I slept great!  I haven't taken a Melatonin to sleep in a week!!

I feel wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
===============
My Daddy, who had a physical to go to college when he was 18, and didn't return to a doctor until his 70's had it right, "Stay away from doctors!  "The cure is worse than the disease and if the disease doesn't kill, the cure surely will!"

ARGGH!!!!
==================
So, yesterday I finally made my appointment at the dentist's.  I had put if off twice.  3 fillings!
I haven't had a cavity in years and years, but the dentist said, older people get cavities more because of the meds we take and the dry mouth the meds cause and---and---

So she numbed me up for the 3 front teeth.  She checked back and said, "Are you numb enough?"

"If you think that being numb from my eyebrows to my boobs is enough, then I guess I'm good to go!"

I had mentioned that there was a gap between tooth #7 & 8 and in pictures, it looked like I had a brown mark on my tooth.  So, after the fillings, she did a little cosmetic dentistry on those teeth and filled in that space--for free--and now my nice smile is back!!

BTW--I was so filled with Novocaine that the numbness took 7 hours to leave!!!!!!!!
====================
I have half the genealogy done.  30 hours so far.  Now on to her mother's side of the family.  Another great family--prominent and influential in the Maryland/Ohio area in the early days.  No pirates or robbers found.  

My family history is soooooooo boring compared to others I have done.  Just a bunch of farmers or ministers.  Who managed to stay out of every war this country has had.  The real champion in my family, in my opinion, was my great grandma on my Daddy's side.  She lived until 96, so I knew her and heard her stories.

She, along with 3 male cousins, homesteaded in South Dakota.  She wore a six shooter on her hip to kill the rattlesnakes while she was plowing up her share of the homestead.  And when the (friendly) Lakota Indians sneaked from behind the bushes and let out a whoop to scare her, she'd just turn toward them, lay her hand on that six shooter and they'd run away, laughing.

You know?  What I've found out.  A lot of times the women in these families had better stories than the men.   It is hard to find their stories or histories because a lot of time, they are listed with their husbands last name--no maiden name--sometimes just their first name listed.  In one Census I just found, it gave the man's name and underneath was listed "and 1 white woman".  Well dammit, that prodded me on to find out his wife--"1 white woman" name.  And I did!  and I found her parents too!  So there!!!

While the men were off, going to their town council or political meetings, the women were at home taking care of the 13 kids they had, building the home, tending the gardens.  I WANT THEM RECOGNIZED!!!
===================
So--other than that--I have been knitting and watching the Olympics and staying away from ANY political news/blogs/postings on Face Book.

Whichever candidate gets in the White House, isn't going to matter.  Our society is so far gone, drowning in debt and with a weak military and racial unrest--we can't ever get back to the wonderful 50's or the fabulous 80's.  We cannot do one thing about it, either.  Sure, we can vote, but it won't matter.  Neither candidate is good for the job.

and, in my opinion, no amount of prayer is going to help this country.  Just simply, "Your will be done",  because God gave us free choice and He's watching to see how dumbed down and immoral we can get. Pretty soon, He is going to see the time is ready and call in His son and say, "Okay my Boy, it's time you go back and clean this mess up.  Bring the one's who believe in us back up here, and knock it all down  and burn the rest.  Then We can make it clean again and start over."

At least that's what I read in the book that is still ranked as the best seller in this world.

4 comments:

  1. I think I'd be even more upset about the prescription that put you in a fog!!! UGH! So glad that is working out. A lot of my age acquaintances are already on blood pressure meds and prediabetes or Type 2 full blown already. I'm hoping my red wine saves me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad your medication changes seems to be helping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have all the same symptoms, Judy. My meds are part of the problem. I'm hoping that after the ablation, I will be able to go off of most of my meds. This low blood pressure is exhausting. So glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to lecture my Greg just this week on when to take his Meloxicam for heel pain, to do him the most good. He was taking it at night which made no sense to me. I'm pretty sure he switched to morning, so that the medicine can ease his pain throughout the day. No dizziness reported. I'm glad you got your dosage sorted. And good job, working on your smile. I'm a fanatic for regular dental visits and I feel nobody listens to me. And you're right: The mothers/wives/keepers-at-home deserve all sorts of recognition. xoxo

    ReplyDelete