title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Life is Great!

My ex husband and I had a ball at the wedding.  His wife was smoozing with the crowd, I was sitting out on the deck, he came out, spotted me and came over and sat down beside me.  He said, 

"I'm so glad you are here!  I have been thinking about something and trying to remember.  You're the only one that can give me the answer."

"Of course.  Because, as I have often told you, I know everything about everything."  He smirked.

He said, "Remember that time, back in 63 or 64, might have even been 61, when that guy that owned a furniture shop in Bancroft took me golfing, he and another guy that was a pro at the local golf club?"

"You mean the guy that we bought our little TV from his store?"

"Yeah.  They took me golfing down at that fancy country club, down by......."

"You mean Kensington Park?  Down by Brighton?"

"Yeah.  They were testing me to see if I were good enough to play on the tour.  They were going to help send me to golf school.  Do you remember that?  Do you remember his name?"

I didn't remind him that his playing golf 5 days a week and being away from home all weekend is one of the reasons our marriage broke up--golf was and still is his first true love.

"Are you thinking of Tom Barringer?"  I asked.

He almost jumped out of the chair.  "Yes!  That's him!  I knew you were the only one that would know."
=================
So we chatted a while more, eating our before nuptials snacks.  Then our grand daughter Susanna came up--she works in Oregon for the New Balance shoe company and travels all over the states, and she mentioned she had been doing a lot of work up in Alaska.  She was showing him photos on her phone and the places she ran in a marathon.

"We always wanted to go to Alaska, didn't we?" he said.

"Yes.  We were going to drive up through the Canadian Rockies, stop at Banff and then on up to Alaska."

"Yeah.  I don't want to fly up there.  I don't want to cruise up there.  I want to drive up there and see everything between here and there."

At least we always agreed on our favorite way to travel.

"Have you ever been on a cruise?" I asked.

"Nope.  I have no desire."

"Me either."

"Diane (his wife) loves to cruise, so I just send her on her way with her friends and I stay home or go out camping."

"Would you ever want to go to Hawaii?"

"Nope.  I have no desire to go there either."

"Me either."

He no longer drives.  He had a cornea transplant and doesn't see well enough to drive, so his wife drives them down to Florida for the winter and back home and every where they go, she drives.

So I said, "Hey!  I know what we can do.  You've got a nice SUV out there.  We could throw our stuff in the back and have Diane drive us to Alaska.  I'd sit in the front with her and we could yak and you could lay in the back seat and take a nap whenever you wanted to."

He started laughing so hard--his face got red, I thought he was going to choke on his snacks or have a stroke!  

I guess we will never get to Alaska.
===============
Good news!  Pammie called to tell me that Mark had a consultation with his oncologist and his cancer is "at bay".  Not a full remission, but it has shrunk and is not growing.  I asked her if she was going to call her Dad and tell him.  She answered, "As soon as I hang up from talking with you."

I sat in my recliner, rocked back and forth and just kept repeating, "Thank you, God.  Thank you, God" over and over, and I may have even shed a couple of tears.  Maybe two.  I DO NOT cry--ever.

No--that's not true.  I cry a few tears when I hold a new born grand child in my arms and whisper a blessing in their ear, but other than that------I never cry.
================
Later--Oh Oh!  I did a no no again.  I posted pictures of my youngest grand daughter Elise and me on Face Book.  Also the photo of Jen, Elise and me.  She reminded me in an e-mail that someone had seen the photos and told her and didn't I remember, "We still don't want any photos of us or the kids posted on-line."  YIKES!!!  I just never will know how I am suppose to conduct myself, concerning their family.

So--I went on Face Book and couldn't remember how to just delete a couple of pictures, so I just deleted the entire post.  At least my grand daughter bride and a few others had seen them and loved them.  Sigh.

6 comments:

  1. Sigh is right, Judy. What's that old saying "damned if we do, damned if we do". Yeah, that one. :(

    I loved the commentary with your ex. So maybe you and I could drive to Alaska, you drive since I get confused, or at least that's what "they" tell me. LOL

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only drive about 100 miles now and I have to stop because my eyes get all wonky. SO--if you ever have a hear in which you have nothing to do, we could make that trip. 100 miles a day 365--well, we'd make it there, but perhaps not back in a year. LOL

      Delete
    2. I meant--"if you ever have a YEAR..." see--my eyes are wonky already!!!!

      Delete
  2. funny story about your ex, good that you can share a good laugh together!! some peeps have strict rules about facebook, i feel it's harmless!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering she and the kids aren't even on it, and only peeps on my Friends list would see--Oh well--thank goodness she doesn't know about this blog. She would have a stroke! LOL

      Delete
  3. I'm with you: no cruises, no Hawaii. I couldn't be less interested. I only like road trips if we can stop and smell the roses (and take their pictures) along the way. I'd like to see Alaska but it won't happen for me either. Oh and I cry all the time. LOL xoxo

    ReplyDelete