title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Friday, August 12, 2016

Happy Trails to You

Detective Miller here!  I am on the trail of another genealogy.  

Once again finding good stuff and, once again finding errors galore.  Some well-intentioned human, tried to convince me that George was the father of Joseph.  I saw right through his "scam", because George was born in 1699 and Joseph was born in 1710.  I don't know and shouldn't call foul--I suppose a boy of 11 could father a child, but ya know?  It looked pretty suspicious to me.  LOL

Although all the documentation avowed that George was the father of Joseph, I discarded him and went looking again and yep--I found the real father of Joseph.  His father's name was George, but this George was born in 1688, and in the same area, so---I'm going with him.

Oh--I do love this stuff!!
====================
Got my hair cut yesterday and it is short--and I mean short.  I have a wedding in 2 weeks and reunion in 3, so by then--the hair will be perfect.  I have to have it cut every 5 weeks or it is too long and hanging down the back of my neck.

Hot weather continues.  Even my perennials are looking a little shriveled.  Usually I never water my perennials.  They have long, deep roots and I was told, if we water them the roots grow up toward the surface.  We don't want that.  We want them to learn to grow deep and long, searching for underground water.  Rain expected tonight, if not I will soak them tomorrow.  My annuals look like they should be taken to the Garden Hospice, as they are on their way out.  What an awful summer we have had!! I can't even imagine how the farmers are dealing with these drought conditions.  Which means the price of anything made from grains will go up in the grocery stores this fall and winter.  Probably the price of milk too.

I don't mind nice warm weather--I prefer mid 70's, but I can live with the 80's, but this 96 degree stuff with the humidity in the 60-70% range, is taking me down!
==================
Pearl wanted me to review her genealogy book I did four years ago for her and see what else I could find.  I didn't find any ancestral new stuff, but I did find something that confused me.

Pearl and Merle were married in Angola, IN, June 29, 1954, or so we all think.  We had their 60th wedding anniversary party 2 years ago.

But--right there, on my computer screen was a marriage record for a Merle Ott and a Pearl Cook, from Howell, Michigan performed in Angola, IN, September 9, 1963.

What to do, what to do?

I've stressed over this for nearly a month.  Should I show it to her?  Did they live together and have 3 kids BEFORE they married?  Would this knowledge, I have,  embarrass her?  I'm sure they wouldn't want their kids to know.

This morning, I decided it was time for me to stroll up there, while Merle was at work and just hand it to her.  So--I took back her family tree book and told her I had found no new ancestor's but, "I did find this on the computer and I'm confused," and I handed her the license.

She took it.  "I don't understand.  What is this?"

"It's from the Indiana Marriage records.  It says you and Merle were married in 1963."

"1963?  I don't think so.  We were married in--oh I can't remember.  1954, weren't we?  Didn't we just have a party a few years ago?"

"Yes.  I thought 1954 was right.  I know you got married in Angola."

She looked at it some more.

"Methodist church.  That's right.  Angola, Indiana.  That's right.  Who filled this out?  The writing looks strange."

"The minister would have filled it out and there---see where you signed it?  That is your hand writing."

"Oh.  This must be a fake.  One of those computer scams or something."  and she tossed it on the dining room table.  "While you're here.  I have a computer problem."

Hm-mm.
========================
You just never know what you're going to find when you research records.  ;-)




8 comments:

  1. So true that we never know what we'll find. When I was a bit nosier (ha) I requested a document, and found something I'll take to my grave. Never told a soul, and that the end of that. :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you found Pearl's marriage certificate in the state records there has to a stamped date and a seal on it when it was filed with the court house. Any mistake in a handwritten date would have been trumped by that stamp. I think they must have lived together since 1954 and incorporated that into their marriage story for so long they believe their own line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apparently it means a lot to Pearl that people think they got married first before they had their kids. What does it matter, really? I would have just left it and saved her the possible embarrassment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get my hair cut every five weeks too, to keep my jaw-length bob in shape. My hairdresser is a treasure and when he retires, I guess I'll have to shave my head. Also it's hot and humid here too, and likely to continue. Mostly I stay in the house where it's cool. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you are working on a new genealogy. Way to go, Judy! A good reason to crank up the A/C.

    I guess we remember what we need to remember, or choose to remember. That's the lesson I take from this. Er, It IS good to have some foundational facts to straighten out our memories. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Things just get curiouser and curiouser. Everyone has a story.

    We have heat and humidity on tap for today. This is supposed to be our last heat wave of the summer. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Missing you Miss Lady... but I know you're doing detective work- so carry on!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i am trying to catch up!!! how is the knitting going???

    ReplyDelete