title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Question Answered

I have been asked to explain the genealogies I do for people.  What is in the report?  What “bad” thing might I find?

First of all, there is nothing “bad” to find out.  There are no stories.  I will not find out that your 10th great grandfather was a horse thief—even if that family story is true.

What genealogy shows are the names and dates of when your ancestors were born and died.  Where they were born, where they lived, their parent’s names, their children’s names, perhaps where they are buried and a photo of their grave stone.  

Perhaps a birth/baptism/death certificate and census reports.  What occupation they had.  If they fought in The Revolutionary or Civil War—any military time they may have spent. 

The only time I would find a “story” about them is if they were an early settler in New York or Massachusetts and their names are listed in the “Early North American Settlers” book.  That story would merely tell of when they came to America and where they settled.

No scandals are revealed in a genealogy report, at least not in the ones I have done.  Only facts or demographics, or perhaps ethnicity are found.  In my own genealogy, I found “we” are related to Thornton Wilder and by marriage to Almonzo Wilder; Laura Ingalls Wilder. Pretty cool stuff.


So, don’t ever be afraid to search up through the branches of your family tree.  It can be the most fascinating discovery of your life. 
=====================
The humidity is gone!!!  At least for a few days.  I have all the windows open  and---my feet are freezing!  Down in the 50's tonight.

I love it!

7 comments:

  1. Doing my family history I thought I had discovered that a great-great grandfather had been in Leavenworth prison. He was listed as an "inmate." However, my niece had been there on a tour and knew at one time it wasn't a prison but rather a hospital for Civil War Vets. A little more digging and my grandfather's history got redeemed before I put it into print. During his time in Leavenworth, it was a hospital. LOL

    I have some very famous ancestors. Whole books are written about them and that is a fun discovery that can happen in genealogy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your niece had never made that trip, you would have never known! That's why we have to be so careful and get---all the facts, Mam!

      Delete
  2. As I mentioned before, a cousin of ours worked on the family tree, at least on my mother's side. I've done a little on my dad's, and found a letter in a cedar chest that an aunt of his had written back in the l800's. It was written from an insane asylum - so yeah, I'm related to her. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are the family "treasures" that are NEVER found in a genealogy research. :-)

      Delete
  3. One thing I did learn from ships' records is that my paternal grandmother and grandfather both came from Sweden on the same ship -- same voyage, too. But, they didn't meet until they got to Minneapolis. What a surprise that must have been to them. They were from the same area in Sweden, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! That is a wonderful discovery. My ancestor's were in the same small farming area as the ancestor's of a genealogy I did for a lady, whose people were also farmers. I often wondered if they all knew each other, back then in the early 1800's.

      Delete
  4. Judy, I am having such a heck-of-a good time researching my family. I'm glad to still have one living relative around to help me with stories and details that I would never find in my search. I can see why you enjoy this so much.

    ReplyDelete