title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Thoughts

I am way off base and probably completely wrong about a marriage being "easier" if the couple are alike in their beliefs.  My thoughts coming from what was perceived back in the 1950's, and where and how I was raised.

Nowadays, with more people going to college and meeting and having friends from diverse backgrounds, there is not such a problem with what we would have called "inter-marriages".  I just worry for my grand daughter.  

Her younger brother was in love with a Baptist girl.  They were so in love with each other.  Her family had practically disowned her because she was dating a Catholic.  They went together three years and were talking of marriage, but the girl would not convert.  Their relationship ended, she went back to her family and, after another almost three years, he is still devastated.  If he had ONLY dated Catholic girls, there would not have been that problem.  Other problems perhaps, but not the religious one.

And yet, I know of a couple who went against their families wishes and married, she Methodist, he Catholic.  They had six children.  She raised the girls Methodist, he took the boys to Catholic services.  They were married 60 years and very happily.  There may have been some worrisome influence that their children felt though, because the Catholic boys married Catholic girls and the Methodist girls, married Methodist boys.

And yet, my first husband and I were alike in all things.  We had known each other from 6th grade on.  We attended the same church in town, both alike in politics and backgrounds.  Look how that turned out.  Even after 27 years of marriage, it ended in divorce.

So, it's not that I am prejudiced against these kinds of relationships and marriages.  It's just that I worry about my grandchildren.  I want their lives to be smooth and easy.  Which, of course, no ones life can ever be. However, she will be transferred to Washington, DC in another few months and so I should quit worrying about the boyfriend, who will remain in Michigan and worry more about her living in DC!
====================
Something that I found weird.  Back, when I was in high school.  I was helping my mother clean her bedroom one day and as I rearranged her under wear drawer came upon a book entitled, "What To Do If Your Daughter Dates a Catholic".  

I was a Sophomore at the time.  There were two Catholic families in our school.  All the kids younger than me.  Why did she think she needed to read that book?  Maybe in case I went on to college and got all crazy and met <gasp> a Catholic boy?

Little did she know, I wouldn't have dated a Catholic.  Heck, I wouldn't have even dated a Baptist!  At that time, I thought Catholics worshiped graven images and Baptist's were way too preachy.

And now, my three daughter's are Catholic's, five of my grandchildren are Catholic and the other four are Lutheran's.  

What is the difference?  We all worship the same God.

Still, if I were to date again, I wouldn't date a Baptist or a Catholic or a Jew, or a black, or a Hispanic, Italian, a man who drank, or was a University of Michigan fan.  My friend John is Nazarene, Italian/Polish, UofM fan, so that leaves him out.  HAH!    

I hit the jackpot when I met Fred, a non-drinking, farm kid from Wisconsin, German, Methodist, Republican, MSU fan. Just like me.  Maybe that's why we got along so well and never had one disagreement? :-)
=====================
I have to tell you--remember Dar coming over and telling me I HAD to check on her Dad every day he is staying with her?  Well, last evening John was out walking his dog and Dar saw him.  She said, "My Dad is coming to visit me for three weeks.  Whenever you are out walking the dog, go up and ring the bell and check on him."  then she walked away.

John said, "I was so flabbergasted I was speechless.  I don't know her Dad...I don't even know her that well, but........she sure is a bossy one, isn't she?"

"Yes."

"She didn't even ask nicely...she just made a demand and I am suppose to obey."

"Well, she told Merle and Pearl the same thing and me too."

"What is her problem?  I'd hate to have to live with that!  I'd hate to have to work with someone like that.  I don't even want a conversation with someone like that!  I think Maisey and I will take our walks around the other way so I don't have to take a chance on ever seeing her again!"

Yes--she is a piece of work for sure.
===============
Last, but certainly not least--good news here--Cindy, my son Mark's companion called me at 2:00 just to let me know that yesterday Mark had more blood tests and another MRI and---his cancer is receding!!!  When he was first diagnosed, his PSA number was 20.  I don't know much about prostate problems, but the number is suppose to be around 4.  After being on the treatment in pill form since end of July, his number has dropped to 6.8!!

The oncologist was ecstatic!  Nowadays, the doctor's can put together different drugs specifically for the person's genetic codes.  What is working for Mark wouldn't necessarily work for another man.  It's amazing what can now be done to personalize cancer treatments.

He was surprised that the pills hadn't made Mark ill or weak.  Mark feels great.  He walks two miles everyday and has felt just fine.

Needless to say, we all are over the moon and very hopeful.  No--I don't think he will ever be "cured", but he very well may be able to be on a maintenance program for many, many years and have a normal life.

I might add, one good thing about having an attorney in the family is all the sources Jennifer has at her disposal.  When Mark was first diagnosed, she called around---many phone calls and recommendations until she found one of the best prostate cancer doctors in this area.  He is also involved with Cancer Treatment Centers of America, so he is very "up" on the latest treatments.

I have been a bit lethargic and down in the dumps lately, that news just put a smile on my face and a PRAISE GOD song in my heart!!!!!

  






9 comments:

  1. Such wonderful news about Mark. Happy for all of you.

    Dar is quite crazy, it seems, funny about John deciding he will walk around the other way.

    Isn't it interesting how we get to wondering about the what if's of relationship success? For the past 8 years, as you know, I have been in the best relationship of my life with a man so different from me....startling, really, but his beliefs, values, etc are never an issue with us, and the differences between us are a source of humor.
    Sending you wishes for a lovely day. Tomorrow begins a reunion for me with 1 of my sisters and 1 of my brothers. We have all sorts of things planned. They will be here on Cape Cod. Teddy is so excited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news about Mark! I was raised Catholic and Rich was raised Methodist and we have been married for 38 years. The fact that we both dropped our respective religions and later dropped religion altogether probably helped! Religion became a non-issue in our family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great news about Mark, so happy for you and the whole family.

    Dar is a piece of work. If her father shouldn't be left alone then she could actually get in trouble for elder abuse should something happen to him. How on earth does she get off asking everyone check on him without her offering something in return? It's not a social call she's asking for, it's healthcare!

    Way back in high school, even the first year of college, the parents of guys I was dating broke us up because of religion. Baptist are the worse. One father beat his son so bad for dating me that he ran away from home. Even today I could date someone from any religion because I respect everyone's right to believe and worship as they wish so long as they gave me the same respect. But I could not date a Republican, though I have some very good friends who are Republicans. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dar's dad is perfectly capable of being alone. Her fear is that while she is at work, he will just sit and watch TV and sleep. I say, "so what!" He's 94. Most of my neighbor's in their late 70's sit and watch TV and take naps all day long. :-)

      Delete
    2. Oh, Judy - I am so HAPPY for Mark; that is great news! And, like you say he'll hopefully have many wonderful years ahead of him.

      Dar? Nothing surprises me anymore, at all. LOL

      My first husband and I met when we were 14, both Methodist at the same church; the marriage didn't last very long, only about 4 years. I will tell you this, I always worked a second job at Sears during Christmas; a couple walked up to the register; he was black, she was white. The first time I'd ever seen a couple of different races. I have to admit, it took me back a bit, not that I was judging but surprised. Of course, nowadays we see it all the time. Whatever makes people happy, makes me happy for them.

      xoxo

      Delete
    3. You're right, at 94 so what if Dar's father sits all day...if he doesn't need a caregiver. He probably has TV shows he enjoys every day.

      Delete
  4. I was raised a strict Baptist. Married a wild Catholic and 45 years later still having fun. LOL VickieOkc

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderful news about Mark. Incredible. Hang in there, Judy!

    ReplyDelete