title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Thursday, October 29, 2015

Crazy, Weird Day

I gotta tell ya, I did not expect this:

Up to Pearl's this morning to help her find her gmail.  There is no icon on her desk top, so she thinks she has lost her gmail.  There is a G sign-in on her desk top that takes her to Google sign-in and her gmail, but apparently that made no sense.  So, I set her up with a short-cut icon.

As I was walking out through her kitchen, she said, "I have to get a new microwave again.  I just got one last year at this time.  Must be they are only meant to last a year."

I stopped and said, "What's wrong with it?"

"It won't work.  Look--no matter which button I push, it won't come on."  She's punching buttons all over the place.

I looked.  I noticed that the clock was not showing up.

"You have to have the clock set up or it won't turn on to cook anything."

"What difference does that make?  I don't care what time it is."

"No, you might not, but in order for the microwave to run, it needs to know how many seconds or minutes you want it to run to warm-up or cook your food."

"Oh...that's nuts!"

So, I reached behind it and unplugged it.  Just in case she had really messed up the commands or something.  Just to clear it out.

Then I punched the "clock" button and asked, "What time is it?"

"11:21".

I put those numbers in and hit the clock button again, then hit 2 seconds and start.

"You aren't suppose to turn it on with nothing in there!"

"I know, that's why I only hit 2 seconds."

"So the time has to show up in that window before it will work?"

"Yep."

"Hm-mm.  I wonder if that is what was wrong with the one I threw out last year."

Hm-mm, indeed.

Pitiful, isn't it?
========================
I am completely convinced that either I have a brain tumor or Alzheimer's is setting in.  My brain is so foggy!!!  

Every morning I get on this computer and check all my e-mails, deleting them as I read them.  Today there was a notice that a book I sold on Amazon hadn't been shipped as yet.  The order was placed and I was notified to ship on Monday.

I swear I did not see that e-mail.

Then, friend Chris also sent me an e-mail this morning that wondered why I hadn't gotten back to her on a pattern she sent me to review--looking it over for typos and that sort of thing.

I swear, I did not see her original e-mail either.

How can I be missing these things?

My mind used to be sharp as a tack!  Now, it resembles mashed potatoes.

I feel fine physically, but I have no gumption to go or do anything.  I forget to eat breakfast and sometimes lunch and only notice when I get dizzy or my stomach growls.  I have no appetite for anything and realize at the end of some days, I have eaten no protein.

The Tinnitus in my ears is so loud lately, but nothing that can be done for that.  It can be very nerve wracking!  Every time I type the word "would", I type it "owuld".  Sometimes I sit here and can't remember a word I want to use.  

It's kind of scary at times.

Anyway, today it was frigid cold outside with high winds and I decided I needed to go to Wal-Mart.  I remembered there was a prescription waiting for me since Tuesday and I was nearly out of Diet Pepsi.  As long as I was out and it was such a miserable day, it seemed a good time to get the Shingles vaccine.

Three years ago at CVS the shot cost $250.00.  Two years ago at Walgreens, it was $98.00.  Today, I had them check and with my Humana Wal-Mart prescription plan, it was $6.60!!!!!  Now was the time to act!  I hate shots, but what the heck--it takes but a minute and I would be assured never to get the dreaded, extremely painful, Shingles blisters.  It seemed strange to be getting an injection from a pharmacist, but the attitude I had today, I didn't really care.

So, as the guy is swabbing the skin down under my arm with alcohol, he asks, "Have you had the pneumonia vaccine?"

"Yes."

"Have you had your flu shot this year?"

"Yes.  Three weeks ago."

"Well, that's good.  It looks like you are up on all your needed vaccines."

Now, I am under the (false) impression that this 50-something pharmacist would be up on medical stuff.  So, trying to be funny AND not think about the needle, I said---

"I've never had my DPT or MMR shots."

"Oh.  Was it against your family's religion?"
<Wait.  What?>

So he has already spoiled my joke--I can't go on.

"No.  I didn't get them when they came out in the late SIXTIES because I had all those diseases in the FORTIES, when I was a child!"

"Oh."

I guess I am too old to be trying to spoof these youngers anymore.  They take everything seriously and---they just don't get it.  

Then he says, "Did you get the Polio vaccine in the Forties?"

"No.  It didn't come out until nineteen fifty-five.  I did get it then and the sugar cube with vaccine in the sixties."

"Oh good."

It's like a few weeks ago when someone younger asked me what year I graduated.  I said, "Oh, about a hundred and fifty years ago."

They actually looked at me and nodded their head.

Are they so slow witted that they don't get it?  Or are they not really listening and just trying to appear nice and interested when they ask their questions?

No wonder I enjoyed the debate so much last night.  "Even in New Jersey, we would call that rude."
Hilarious!!!  Probably none of the Young Republicans thought it was sarcastic and funny.

"That (democratic) debate reflected a debate between the Bolsheviks and the Mensheviks."  Oh my lord, I laughed!

Oh well.  Senility may be moving into my brain.  Perhaps I need to be in a home with people my age--they might remember how sharp and wicked the wit used to be...back in the day.

Just my luck.  I'd probably end up with a room mate like Pearl and have to instruct her daily on how to turn on the TV.




7 comments:

  1. You are not getting senile or Alzheimer's. You can still do complex things on the computer than involve more than four steps. You still remember where you live and what your keys are for. A few of the things you wrote about could be depression related, though, but most could just be forgetting things because you're bored. That will be a quarter for my diagnosis.

    I loved Christy's line about rudeness. I like him. Not sure I want him for president but there were worse possibilities on that stage. What got me is Trump complaining that he didn't get enough questions when it was he who wanted a shorter debate. Dub! Less time, less questions.

    You are right about young people not getting humor the same way we do. They take what we say so literally sometimes. Like you saying you graduated 150 years ago. It's like they are afraid to laugh in case we were serious and thought we'd actually lived that long. Or maybe you're right and they just don't listen to what we say because they really don't care. Drives me nuts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one who feels that way about the humor. I miss the way it used to be! I don't care for Cruz. I think Kasich and Paul need to go. I thought, "if Kasich says one more time, 'In Ohio, we did,' " I'd scream. I don't like Trump either, but there is something about him that intrigues me. I don't like Carly, but I'd like to see her and Hillary in a debate--just the two of them. MEOW!!

      Delete
    2. Cruz, Paul and Carly are all un-electable and need to stand aside. Bush and Kasich come off sounding grumpy old men. I don't like Cruz, Carly or Trump and would croak if any of them got elected. I didn't see the under-card debate but I heard Lindsey Graham was very funny and won hands down. I love politics!

      Delete
  2. I agree with your friend, you aren't ready for a "home". You are very smart, and hey even younger people than us forget what they're trying to say. And, oh my Lord if you ended up in a home, you probably would have a room mate like Pearl. So, please take it easy on yourself. You're good!

    Yes, the young people these days don't pay attention; their minds are like "is it time to go home yet?" :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you begin to show signs of Poor Pitiful Pearl ... we blogger friends will tell you! You are having your normal share of WTF

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl we all have foggy days, days where motivation is nowhere to be found. Take it easy on yourself whenever you need to. The young -- or youngER -- barely see the elderly. Everybody is so busy, it stands out when someone is nice, or when -- miracle of miracles -- they actually take the time to listen to what you have to say. To engage, to exchange ideas or anecdotes, or just wonder and marvel together for a moment. Conversation is truly a lost art. Chris Christie was SO on-point with his "rude" remark. We lived in New Jersey for two years and I've never seen so many angry, ill-tempered folks. Lots of nice folks too, but still. It was funny. Take care, Judy. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, a foggy day here and there is nothing. Don't you worry about it. Your brain is working better than most 50-year-olds. You'll be clicking along on all cylinders long after people twenty years younger than you, Judy!

    ReplyDelete