title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Saturday, April 4, 2015

Here's The Scoop

March 31,st--Tuesday evening--6:30.  I hadn't felt really well for about a week.  My heart started beating really fast and it didn't calm down.  I walked down to Pearl's, but they weren't home, so I walked over to Dar's and asked if she could drive me uptown.

"I just warmed up my supper," she said.  "Can it wait an hour?"

"I don't think I'd better.  Can you just run me up to the ER.  I think I am having an AFib episode."

"Okay--let me put this in the frig."

So I got in her car and waited.  Up we went and I told her to drop me off at the ER door and go home.  "I will call you later."  Knowing how she reacts, I sure didn't want her in the room with me!

They transferred me up to the hospital in Howell--a smallish hospital==nice, close to home--at 10:00.  I called her to let her know.

I got to ride in the ambulance!!!

They put me in the Heart Unit--with all the monitors blasting and beeping and carrying on.

Wednesday morning, I had an Echo and another EKG and then, they injected two large tubes of meds into my IV, hoping to stop the AFib.  Didn't work , although the heart rate was down, it wasn't regular.

Thursday morning, they did the Cardio-inversion (minor shock to the heart) and it worked.  Back in Sinus Rhythm.

Pammie brought me home Friday afternoon at 2:00.

AFib is no big deal!  It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the heart.  They don't really know what causes it,--too much caffeine--coughing too hard--stress.  Mine was caused because my Potassium was too low. (A battle I have had for the last 15 years).

The real problem is that it can cause a blood clot and/or stroke.  SO---I will be on a blood thinner for--I don't know--how long.

The good part is--that new insurance I got in December--that I was worried about?  Covers the new blood thinner meds--I am on the Arnold Palmer/Kevin Harvek/Kevin Neiland--Xarelto.  Cost?  $400.00 a month--mine costs $6.50 a month!!!!!!!!!!  I am so thankful I don't have to be on Coumadin--because you have to have your blood checked all the time and restricted in what you can eat--no salads.

Another good thing, I have been on 7 meds for the last 15 years--I am now on 4!!

Another good thing--Jennifer arrived Wednesday, with Tulips and Peeps and cross-word books and went into attorney mode and talked to all the docs and nurses, LOL.

Because of all the heart stuff, including AFib that I had been through with Freddie--I knew exactly what was going on and what they would do.  Plus--in the last two years I have become so unafraid of dying that I am accepting of whatever happens and I was never scared or even nervous.  In fact, I had a really great/fun time with the young docs and nurses!!


11 comments:

  1. So very happy you are going to be okay, Judy!

    Besides, I need you to be around so when I visit you can teach me to crochet.
    OH, wait a minute~I sound like DAR. Dang it. :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, gosh! I'm glad to know your heart is back to a normal rhythm. AFibs are nothing to fool around with, it's what caused my husband's stroke. And the cardio-inversions can only be done safely a limit of number of times in one's life time. My husband's brother, nephew and dad all have/had the same condition. The AFib condition is for life and so will the blood thinners be, if your doctor is worth his salt. Don's cardiologist said that aspirin alone doesn't do the trick. While it can thin the blood it can't do what the other drugs do. They have something in them to keep blood from being sticky and forming clots behind the heart value that is causing the AFibs. Don was on Aspirin and Coumadin. I'm glad you get to do the new generation of AFib/heart drugs! Coumadin is a pain in the neck.

    Wow, and Jennifer showed up! May we hope she got her eyes opened to the fact that you're not going to be around forever? That it's time for her to forgive and foreget?

    Who took care of your cats while you were gone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to learn about your AFib. I had wondered what may have happened to you as you don't usually 'disappear' for too long. I, too, am familiar with a similar heart issue and am on Coumadin. Salads (nor greens of any kind) have ever been a problem for me. I hope you'll consider spending a few days just relaxing, enjoying all that is around you, including family.

    Wishing you and yours a peaceful, joyous Happy Easter -

    Carly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thankful you're better and I'm thankful you're back... I've missed you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've missed you....and was worried that something had happened. I love your attitude, Judy...your blog always makes me smile, You take care, now!

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all, HAPPY EASTER!!
    I was thrilled to read that Jennifer came to the hospital....an important moment for you.
    So sorry to hear about what happened, but I do know your attitude will bring you through whatever life brings. One of the reason I love you and your writing.
    So happy you were able to go on the alternative to coumadin. What it did to me recently was awful. Terrible drug.
    Sorry about the Spartans but they fought well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was afraid something was wrong. I checked in a couple of times but you had not posted. Then I started looking for your comments on other blogs that we both follow. I told my husband that something must have happened. I'm so glad you are doing well. Take care, Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pleased to read that you're OK. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Judy, I am glad you are ok. Take care of yourself. Margie in AR.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too was worried about you. So glad you are ok and thrilled that Jen visited you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad it was treatable and you are well, and JEN visited you!!! Praise God!

    ReplyDelete