title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Tired.

Gray--sprinkley--bah humbug sort of day!
============================

In January, I determined that I would call and make all the appointments I needed and get everything taken care of before Spring.

AHA--March 21st was a few weeks ago and the only things I got done were my yearly check-up and my new crown.

Then the whole thing last week.  So this morning, with great determination and fore thought, I got the phone numbers and the phone and...I go to my primary guy Thursday morning at 11:30 and the dermatologist at 2:40.  On Friday, I go to the Chiropractor.  I get to the Ophthalmologist in two weeks and the dentist  for cleaning, on April 30th.

So May 1st may  will find me all caught up with my medical needs and ready to get outside and start working in the yard.
====================
I had a hard time getting to sleep last night and finally at 1:00, I remembered, I had forgotten to take my 5 mg of Melatonin.  While in hospital, they encouraged me to take it every night.  "So many people have trouble sleeping," the nurse said, "and it's so simple.  Melatonin is a natural hormone we tend to lose as we age.  It regulates our Circadian clock.  If they would just take it every night, no one would need any prescription sleep aids with all the side effects."  I was actually surprised they were so "into it", as most medical people pooh-pooh the whole vitamin/supplement thing.

So--I got up, popped that little pill and was soon asleep.  The fur kids were a bit disturbed by my getting out of bed, but they were soon nestled back up against my back and sleeping too.
======================
I got up around 9:00, fed the kids and came in here.  As I looked up and out the window, I saw this guy (or girl, how can you tell?) looking right in the window at me.  It reminded me of a childhood nursery rhyme.
 
" A birdie with a yellow bill
Hopped upon my window sill,
Cocked his shining eye and said,
"Ain't you 'shamed, you sleepyhead?"

==================================

 I felt so "draggy" this morning--kind of dizzy and foggy headed.

"They" told me I didn't have to take my Potassium capsules anymore because they took me off the water pill and one other HBP med (Amlodipine) I was on.  My heart rate is low again--in the mid-40's.  I take two HBP meds in the morning and one at supper.  I decided, you know how I like to diagnose myself, that I would take the new HBP med in the morning, the other one at noon and then at supper.  My reasoning, it will keep the meds more continuous and even.

Then I decided that just because "they" took me off the water pill, perhaps I should still take some Potassium daily--seeings as how I have tended to have low Potassium for the last 15 years!!  I hate bananas and you know I don't eat right, so.....I Googled how many MEQ's are in one banana.

AHA--10 MEQ's in one banana.  My Potassium capsules are exactly 10 MEQ's per.  So...I took one and a couple hours later, started to feel much less foggy headed.  To me, there is no difference between eating one banana a day or taking the equivalent.
<that's my story and I'm sticking to it>

You know--I will either cure or kill myself one of these days.  HAH
==================
I trucked on up to the Food Bank--I didn't go at all in March because...my appointment would have been for the end of month and they run out of stuff by then.  They had a good quantity of meat and fresh veggies today.  I am allotted 60#, and usually can only manage 25#, but today did a bit better at 35#.  They used to insist that I wasn't getting all that I should and I kept insisting that I was taking only what I needed and would use.  So...now they leave me alone.  

I know people (Dar) who would go in there and "stock-up" on canned goods--cases and cases at a time.  I don't need to do that (and neither did she).  I go every month and get what I need.  Why stock-up and take it away from other needy families when you can go every month?  But then, you know Dar.  When she worked at the Salvation Army--anything that came in the back door and looked good to her, went out into the trunk of her car and NEVER reached the selling floor.  To me, that is not only theft, but it is completely immoral!!!
=============

Got home, unloaded and watched my Soap and then off to the beautifying place.  These are the before and after pictures.

























I also got those big caterpillars that crawl across my face, above my eyes, plucked out and trimmed up.  Now--if I could just afford an eye-lid lift and a nose job, I'd be in business.
==============
My friend (neighbor from where I used to live) called this afternoon, just after I got in the house.  As we talked, I could hear my smoke alarm, just outside this computer room, beeping.

Now--why would it do that.  It is not battery operated, instead hooked up to the electrical system so it never runs out of power.

I walked out and stood under it and distinctly heard it beep a weak little beep.  So I ripped that sucker off the wall and took it into the kitchen to wash it off.

Then, I heard the one over by the back door beep.  

What the What?

I had to go potty, so I went into the bathroom and heard it beep again--only quite loud this time.  I walked into the bedroom and---lo and behold--not the smoke alarms at all, but the dang, old carbon monoxide alarm, that sits near my heat register, going off.  It DOES run on batteries and apparently they were tired!!!

How strange, to be standing in the doorway of my computer and living room, 30 feet away from the carbon monoxide alarm in my bedroom and hear it so clear and think it was the smoke alarm above my head.  Just the way sounds echo down the hallway of this place.
=========
I haven't purchased any groceries in a month so tomorrow is the day! A long trip spent walking the aisles of the Wal-Mart.  I have been out of stuff for weeks, but either didn't have time to get up to the store, or no money until my SS came in on the 3rd.  

I also need to stop at the Tractor Supply place and have someone load 2-40# bags of birdseed for me.  I am not going to ask Merle to unload it for me this time.

Remember John, the nice man around the corner who cleared the snow off my drive all winter?  Well, he walks  his old dog Maisey by here everyday and sometimes comes up to my porch.  Maisey likes me and won't go home unless he lets her come for a visit.  He was by the other day and told me if I ever needed help or had an emergency, to call him.

I told him that I don't like to ask for help and he said, "What is it with women?  Nowadays, women are so independent.  I have dated two ladies and they just never wanted me to do a thing for them."

"Because, John, we have tried really hard to become this way.  We don't have husbands anymore and have had to learn how to take care of ourselves.  We don't want to become a burden on anyone...AND we don't want to ask any man for help and then have them take advantage of us or feel we owe them something."

He laughed.  "Well, I wouldn't feel that way.  So call me...if you need too."

I should have gotten his phone number!!  Well, when I get the heavy bags of seed home, I will wait until I see him walk by and run out and ask for help.

BUT...HE BETTER NOT GET ANY IDEAS!!!

5 comments:

  1. This post is so filled with information about your comings and goings that I don't know where to start commenting on. Your April is like mine...I like to fill it and October up with all the doctor appointments that we need at our age. I can't wait until May gets here and I can slow down a little bit.

    Melatonin doesn't work for me. I tried it at the doctor's suggestion. Now I do Aleve PM which I don't like as well as ambien but I need the Aleve twice a day so it's practical to use the Aveve PM rather than mix drugs.

    I had the same experience with the carbon monoxide detector only mine you had to buy a new one as the battery was not replaceable. I have the 15 year batteries in my smoke detectors so I don't have to worry about them for 14 years. I got so tired of trying to find someone to help change the dumb batteries, I thought the investment in new ones was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right, no ideas there fella. :)

    Judy, I heard somewhere that Medicare pays for eye lifts if the droopy lids interfere with vision.

    You have sure been busy, but I'm glad you are better and feel like gettin' it done. You're much better than I am about appointments; I need a mammogram and just
    keep putting it off.

    I'm typing in the dark; Jase is asleep in my bed. LOL

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. And, your hair looks very nice! :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to give that Melatonin a try. I have sleep issues a few nights a week and really have a hard time coping with my stressful job (not to mention shower/wedding planning!) when I don't get at least 7 hours of sleep! I would like something safe to take that will keep me sleeping all night! Your hair looks lovely by the way! As soon as I don't have to be in the public every day I plan on cutting my hair short, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so wish that Melatonin really did work for everyone. Doesn't do a thing for me.

    John sounds like a nice guy. You should take him up on his offer to help.

    ReplyDelete