title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

I Feel Even Better!

Yesterday I decided that I would go to the doc's office to get a blood draw to check my Potassium.  Pearl mentioned that she had an appointment with him at 10:30 and I told her she could ride with me.

I picked her up.  When we got to the office, she walked up to sign in and the receptionist said, "Are you Pearl Johnson?"


"No.  Pearl Ott.  I have a ten-thirty appointment."


"Ah-hh.  You have a ten-thirty appointment this coming Thursday, not today."


"What's today?"


"Tuesday."


"Oh."


So Pearl sat down next to me and, even though I had heard the conversation, she repeated:


"I'm here on the wrong day.  I have to come back...ah...wait..." and she got up and went back up to the receptionist's desk.


"Tell me again.... when am I suppose to come in.  Tomorrow at nine-thirty, right?"


"No, this coming Thursday--April thirtieth, at ten-thirty.  I will give you a card."


So Pearl sat in the waiting room while I got my blood drawn.


On the way home we talked.


"I could have sworn on a stack of Bibles that my appointment was today.  I know I wrote it on my calendar."


"Did you think today is Thursday?"


"No!  I know what day it is.  Good Lord!"


"Maybe you should start taking your Aricept again."


"I took it for two days and I didn't think it helped."


"You have to take it at least two weeks for it to start having any effect."


"I hate taking pills!"


"Not me!  If it helps me, I'll take anything they got!"


"I don't want to take Alzheimer's medicine.  I hate the thought."


"But if it helps--at least it will help stop your forgetfulness from advancing so rapidly."


"I hate this!  The same thing happened Sunday.  We had plans to go out with Bonnie and Earl for supper and at five, Merle asked me if I was ready.  I said, 'ready for what?'  I thought it was Monday--all day."

======================

This makes me sad!!!

6 comments:

  1. Makes me sad, too. I feel like I know Pearl because of you and it's also like looking at my future and my past all at the same time. My dad was in the clinical trials for Aricept. We could always tell when he missed taking his pill on any given day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After watching my grandma go through Alzheimer's, I know how devastating it can be. I'd gladly take the pill. Anything to avoid or delay that.
    It's really sad. I'm sorry for Pearl and for you. You are a good friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sad indeed. How was your potassium?

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A tad low at 3.2, so I am taking an extra pill today.

      Delete
  4. It must be so sad to see this happening to a friend. I hope she takes the meds. I understand that it does help.

    ReplyDelete