title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Thursday, February 19, 2015

The Winter of Our Discontent.

The minute I made my decision not to go to the Old Gal Pals lunch today, I felt such a sense of relief.  I'm sure I would have made the drive okay, but....#1:  I wasn't really in the mood and #2: I wasn't really in the mood.  My car was born and raised in Wisconsin.  It even has a cord to plug-in overnight to keep the engine warm--I've never used it, but they did when it lived in Wisconsin.  I have never, ever had my car not start in sub zero weather.  She has lived outside all her 17 years and I suppose she is used to it.

I drove her Saturday, Sunday, Monday and yesterday--in very cold conditions and she ran pretty well.  So I am sure she would run nicely today.  But then--I got into the "what if" mode of thinking.  I drive through the middle of no where to get up to The Farm or to the lunches.  What if, a hose blew and the care overheated and stopped while I was on one of those roads?  I'd either have to walk to the nearest house or wait until some farmer came along to help.  I'd have to call a tow truck to come pick up the car--can you imagine what that would cost?  So--I stayed home today and I am happy about it.  If I am not at the lunch, they can discuss me and that will give them something to do.

Other than missing a visit with my little sis.  We were going to play a couple of games and I was looking forward to it.  I imagine her house would be pretty cold.  She is one of those who loves the hardwood floors, slate tile in the kitchen, high ceilings.  Those kind of rooms feel cold to me every season.  I like carpeting on my floors.  Right now, it's 8 below and I'm sitting here with bare feet and quite comfortable.

Isn't it weird how home styles change?  I remember when we had wood floors--only the people with money had beautifully carpeted rooms back in the '40's and '50's.  I can remember how thrilled my mother was when they finally could afford to have the living room carpeted and the bedrooms.  Heavenly!!!  

However, I had already married and left home and was living in a little house with tile on all the floors, single pane picture windows that froze inside, halfway up the window and any bed that was shoved up next to the wall, had frozen blankets on that side.

Now, everyone is jacking the ceilings up to 15 feet plus, putting in hard floors and other hard surfaces.  They like the open floor plans.  You couldn't shut up and unused room if you wanted to.    Their rooms echo and are cold feeling.  If they have a fireplace it runs constantly and most have little ceramic heaters placed in every room.  And they wonder why their heating bills and electricity bills are sky high.

When this country runs out of oil and gas gets to be $$$$, people will start building smaller homes.  Cozy will then be the style.

Oh well.  Whatever.
============================
 Today--I puttered.  I pulled everything out from under the kitchen sink.  Threw away nearly empty bottles of cleaner, washed the vases I store under there, got everything organized and back together.  20 minutes, tops.  Then I put a new filter in the furnace and cleaned out the humidifier and put in a new filter.  Another 20 minutes, tops.  The new filters will get me through until spring.  I need to mop the kitchen floor, but that will have to wait until--well--some other day.  I also need to pull out the refrigerator and clean behind and under it.  I haven't done this in 5 years!!!  I bet I'll even find Fred's dog, Tootz fur still under there.

I did three loads of laundry, cleaned up the bathroom, relaxed watching my Soap and took supper out of the freezer to thaw.

As usual, Merle came down at 10:00 to haul my garbage pail from the porch to the street and then at 2:00 he came back, brought up the pail and my mail.  I have not stuck my nose outside all day--except to thank him.

We used to get Alberta Clippers, snow and cold.  Now we have advanced to the Siberian Express, more snow and colder, cold.  That curious jet stream just loves to dive further south than it ever has.  Such fun.

It is starting to snow a bit and once again, tonight, we are expecting record setting low temperatures.  I don't care!  My pipes are all wrapped with heat tape.  I have excellent insulation in the floor, roof and walls.  I have double pane windows with the Argon gas in between the panes.  I have a new furnace that keeps it a cozy 73 in here during the day and it was a shiny day.

I live a charmed life!!

13 comments:

  1. It is a cozy feeling when there's bad weather and you're snug as a bug inside. Think how difficult it was for civilization not so very long ago. Winter was a horrible burden and dangerous.

    You were a very busy lady. It feels good to accomplish so much in one day, doesn't it. What did you thaw for supper?

    Remember when hardwood floors were considered subfloors?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You accomplished a lot more than I did and I think you made a wise choice, staying it. That cold weather isn't good for old lungs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I smile
    at you being so contented
    on this day.
    Good for you
    Hopefully this is the last night I have to let the faucets drip :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like a purring cat, you are.....GREAT. Good idea not to go out. It was a very cold day here, too, and tomorrow much colder. I will have to go out as I have visit to my physician following up on my surgery. LM will come to get me and do the driving. I will be in good hands.
    Nice you accomplished some things, too. That is always a good feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband and I say that all the time. We both grew up with hard wood floors and cold houses so we like carpeting and small homes and rooms. I am such a sloppy cook I couldn't have my kitchen in that "open-air" concept so popular now. Also, I do not like all the white woodwork and kitchens. Again, that is what we grew up with because you could paint it to keep it looking nice. Felt so "wealthy" when we had stained woodwork. Ha! Each generation to their own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How delightful to be home, as snug as a bug in a rug. Oh! It is a cold one tonight here, but not as cold as where you are. Shades drawn here, electric blanket on. Tile and wood floors, with floor to ceiling windows. No 15 foot ceilings, though, so it still feels cozy. LOL

    I am amazed you do these chores in 20 minutes, tops. You must go into 'get it done' mode. Well, I trust right now you're not in 'get it done' mode. You're relaxing and enjoying 73 degrees inside while the cold wind blows.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm just the opposite (of course you knew I would be) but I detest carpet. We were so happy when Patti bought this house; my bro, sis in law and I pulled out that nasty stuff and low & behold the nicest "old" time hardwood. I polished it up and love it. I don't mind throw rugs if I can wash them. We still have two rooms that need new flooring of some kind; my bedroom and the dining room. That's going to have to come later with so many other things we want to do though. Our weather predicted (I think Patti said) is supposed to reach temps not here since the l920's. I know one thing, it's cold! :) You stay cozy there, missy. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally, I think in a Southern home wood floors are fine. You don't need warm and cozy, you need airy and cool. However tonight, you might wish you had a bit of carpet to walk across with your bare feetsies!

      Delete
    2. You're right, it was mighty chilly last night and this morning! :)

      xoxo

      Delete
  8. Believe it or not I can deal with these temperatures as long as it's not too windy! This Michigan girl knows how to bundle up! Well, I have no choice really!! The only thing that bothers me is the gas bills!

    ReplyDelete
  9. -13 when I got up this morning here in western Pa BUT with very little wind it was not as bad as last weekend when we had the wind / snow / blizzard like conditions.

    I know what you mean worrying about the car breaking down in weather like this, though...since it happened to me a few weeks back on an extremely cold day, not dressed properly with no scarf, hat, gloves ...I would not want to repeat that!

    And LOL grew in in a ranch house with gorgeous hardwood floors...which were kept in the little bedrooms but getting carpet in the living room was a big deal when they could afford that.
    I remember waxing my bedroom floor with Pledge and a dust mop or something prior to turning into a teenager and a pig :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This also reminds me of the time when I was a young girl babysitting little bro; he was in the bathtub and I was on the phone. I looked over at him, and the water was over the tub. Yikes - of course, he was fine but Mama's floor had me scared. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. We need an update here; you don't want me to start searching for you, do you?

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete