title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Saturday Session

This took me part of the day Saturday.  I just got a craving for them and had to make them.

Called Kraut Brot and got the recipe from a long ago friend.

Shred cabbage and try not to scrape your knuckles

Add a chopped up onion and cook slowly for two hours

Meanwhile--set out two loaves of frozen bread to thaw

Drain cabbage and onion mixture

Brown ground beef

Drain and combine with cabbage mixture and let cool


Cut loaves into 5 sections.
Roll out into circle

Put a nice amount of mixture on bread
Stretch bread around mixture and seal edges


350 degrees for 35 minutes
Onto cooling rack



KRAUT BROT

1 medium cabbage
1 pound ground beef
2 medium onions
2 loaves of frozen bread
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
3 tsp. garlic powder

Take two loaves frozen bread out of freezer and allow to sit.

Shred cabbage and cook (on medium low) with diced onions in 2 Tbls. bacon grease or butter for 2 hours, in covered Dutch oven pot.

Check every half hour and stir.

Drain in colander.

Brown ground beef in same pot and add to colander cabbage mixture to drain.

Return mixture to pot, add salt, pepper, garlic powder and cool.

Cut loaves into 5 sections each.

Flatten on floured board and place mound of mixture on each section.

Stretch dough over mixture, fold over and seal edges of bread.

Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 3500 for 35 minutes or until brown.

Remove to cooling rack and baste tops with butter and garlic powder.

Eat while hot or cool completely and put in freezer in gallon freezer bags.


To re-heat, place in bowl, heat for 6 minutes on timed defrost in Microwave—add more butter on the bread.

8 comments:

  1. Wow a lot of work! I would never do all that for just me. But they do look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not like to cook--so, I have made and frozen, 8 servings of Chili. 7 servings of boiled dinner. 10 Kraut Brot. I should not have to cook supper for weeks! There always is a method to my madness :-)

      Delete
    2. I'm mom used to spend Sundays cooking meals for all week. It really is a great way to do it. Since you mentioned freezing chili a month or so ago, I've made and froze it twice. It surprised me how well it works! It's one of the things I'd been missing since Don died. I've even froze chicken soup that I made from a deli chicken.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the recipe. We really like cabbage any way so this is a different recipe. I can almost smell it cooking. Yum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy, this is fascinating. You don't like to cook? Yes, you started something with me, too, with your chili. I've made two big batches of soup and frozen single servings. Gosh, I would so love to live near you. You are such an interesting and delightful woman. This recipe looks sooo yummy and healthy, and I'd be like Dar - barging in for a bite. (though I'd bring a bottle of wine).

    Question: I find it hard to believe the bread wouldn't toughen after it's frozen, thawed and microwaved. Doesn't it get soggy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good, Judy. I like the idea of freezing it. I've gotten into freezing things. I freeze chili and chicken&rice soup and stuffed peppers. It's great to be able to pull a meal out of the freezer and just heat it up.

    ReplyDelete