title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Snow Hurricane

Today's temperature was:  27 degrees
Another Shiny Day!
============================

A Snow Hurricane--that's what they are getting out there on Cape Cod, where Ms. Graysea/Marcia lives.  Lots and lots and LOTS of snow with a Nor'Easter bringing in hurricane force winds.   She hasn't told me that--I've been watching the Weather Channel.  They also showed pictures of Boston.  No traffic.  Hardly any people outside.  I think I'd like Boston if it were like that all the time.

Speaking of Boston, I have been watching "The Sons of Liberty" on the History channel every night.  Samuel Adams and Paul Revere and those guys--they were thugs!!!  Always inciting the Red Coats, trying to get them to fire on them, so the Rebels could blame them for starting more trouble.  I am sure, if I lived back then, I would probably be on the side of King George.  After all--they WERE British citizens and yet went against British rule.

BTW--Paul Revere did not ride through the streets yelling, "The British are coming.  The British are coming!"  That would have made NO sense, since they were ALL British citizens.  Rather he yelled, "The Red Coats are coming".

Sure, later we see they had every reason to be p.o.'ed and now we revere them as the first who fought so we could have our very own Country, ruled by our very own people, but at first?  I would not have been on their side for sure!  and, the way our country is right now, I'm not so sure we wouldn't do better with a Prime Minister and the Queen.
============================
So this morning, I had my appointment at the Food Bank.  They had a lot of fresh, new stuff.  I got a nice bag of salad fixings to put my canned chicken in.  They had Cauliflower!  I love steamed Cauliflower!!!  I got 6 cans of diced tomatoes and 2 cans of kidney beans to make more Chili.  They had freshly brought in tubes of ground round.  Because they were only 1# tubes, they told me to take two.  Since I am allowed two frozen meats, I got four tubes of ground beef.  

I also found someone to bless today.  A young mother with a four year old boy, who sang "Old MacDonald's Farm" to me and then I asked him the animal sounds and he knew all of them!  She was ahead of me all the way through the little store and out to our cars.  I walked over and gave her my free toilet paper and jug of detergent.  She was so happy--I knew she needed them more than I did.  She has kids--I have only me.

And you will never guess what else I found in the freezer--no you won't--you could not possibly guess or even imagine--

               ARE YOU KIDDING ME?  
MY FAVORITE SEA FOOD? 
 AT THE FOOD BANK?
HALLELUJAH!
and they had cake--those little round ones that I love.
=========================
After I left the food bank, I had some stuff for Pammie, so I drove over to Jen's.  I wanted an excuse to see Little Boy-Evan.   I had some of those Box Tops for School thingies you sometimes get on cereal boxes and Zip Lock bag boxes.  Alex takes them to his school.  I put two tubes of the frozen ground beef, a can of soup, baked beans, peanut butter and jelly in a bag for Pammie and stuck them in the front seat of her truck.  She will be going home tonight.  and then...I knocked on the door and she opened it.

Guess what--both Evan and Alex were there--both have bronchitis and both have been in ER over the weekend, because Alex was very close to pneumonia!  I guess it's a good idea Jennifer doesn't call me anymore and let me know what is going on.  In the old days, she would have called from the ER and I would have been in a panic.  Better to find out AFTERWARDS--when everything is all right.

So--I got to see both of them, ruffled Alex' hair and a kiss on top of his head, and a nibble on Evan's ears.  I said, "Mimi won't eat your ears--I just want a tiny, nice little nibble," and he stood very still so I could nibble and then he giggled his head off.  I love three year olds!!!

Then Pammie told me all about her cooking experiment.  She made Kraut Brouke--one of my kids favorites, and Pammie especially loved them, but had never made them.

"Did they turn out all right?"  I asked

"Oh Momma--I ate five of them on Saturday!"

OMGosh!
==============================
I got home at around noon and Dar walked in right behind me.  GEEZ!!

"I just had to come tell you, Jeff is in the hospital part of detox now.  He got to make one call last night and he called me.  He can't have any family contact for the next three months."

"So after the hospital stay--then he goes into the treatment center?"

"Yes, for three months or longer.  Then he goes to a half-way house.  I probably won't get to see him for at least six months.  I am so glad!"

"You're glad you can't see him?"

"Yes, because he will be in sessions with a shrink and I know, it's all going to come about his childhood and the bad way I brought up him and the other kids and...well...really, I don't want to visit and take a chance of running into his doctor's."
<of course not, because, after all, it is all about you>

===============================
I had guests for lunch.
Baby Boo

Smokey


and a couple of their friends that didn't 
have reservations for the 
Feeding Station Squirrel Cafe
===========================






12 comments:

  1. So glad you got to see the two little boys, but hope they're well soon.

    Sounds like, all in all you had a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's probably better for Dar's son if she doesn't see him for a while. He needs to focus on recovery.

    I'm glad you got to see Evan and Alex. I hope they are feeling better soon. It's that germy time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh My Gosh. Maine lobster? This is thrilling! You going to put it in salad, or heat it and dip it in melted butter?

    Those Boston thugs sure were brutal toward the British forces, and vice versa. I guess the difference between them and today's thugs in Europe and elsewhere is the cause they were fighting for.

    It looks like your squirrels are eating high quality bird seed. You are good to them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brutal storm on the Cape. I hope Marcia's not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, some of those "thugs" were my ancestors (the Doc. for one). I'm loving that series.

    Glad you got to see your grand-kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. General Gage mutilated him, Jean!! If I were a drinking woman, I'd have a Sam Adams beer and make a toast to him!! I too had my New York ancestor's in the Revolutionary, my 8th great grandfather, his son, my 7th and his son, my 6th. Also had later ancestor's in the Civil War, also from New York.

      Delete
    2. I had a crush on Sam Adams all through that series! Our ancestors could have known each other! I have some that were in the Civil War as well and they ended up in your part of the state because they got paid with land grants after the war to become settlers in the East Tawas area. One of my ancestors wrote the first history of the Revolution, a three volume set and she was a woman! And her best friend was Abigail Adams.

      Delete
    3. Meant to add did you know that Dr. Warren was the first people to be identified in death by dental records?

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a good day with a couple of bonuses!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You cleaned up at the food pantry! Lobster!!

    It's no wonder Dar's son has drug/alcohol problems, being raised by her!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your poetic comment on my last post. I'm afraid that I can't find anything that rhymes with 'lobster'!!! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy you got all that great delicious and nutritious food at the bank......wow, and lobster, too. Wish I could send you some real stuff.
    Your thoughtfulness with the young woman at the bank and then with Pammie, is so sweet and then you were rewarded with that unexpected visit with the boys.....great day.
    We are still digging out here with more snow coming tonight. I will know tomorrow if I can have my surgery Monday!
    Stay warm and I do love your squirrel entertainment!!

    ReplyDelete