title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Friday, January 23, 2015

Oh Yeah!

I am not a spontaneous person--in any way shape or form.  For some reason, the people I have lived with most of my life, were not Spur-of-the-Moment people.  I like things scheduled, prepared for--I think it is a control thing.

So, this morning at 10:30, Pearl called and said, "We want to invite you out to supper tonight, our treat.  You pick the place and the time."

I opened my mouth to make an excuse and then I said, "WOW!  Golden Door Chinese restaurant at 5:00."

She said, "We will pick you up at 5:00."

It's the same place Dar and I stopped for take-out after Maddies' ballet performance the first weekend of December.  I loved the food and had wanted to take Merle and Pearl there because, last year we went to their idea of a Chinese restaurant, a buffet place, and there was not one single thing that tasted like Chinese food on the entire buffet.

So, they picked me up and off we went up the road.  

I told them, "Now you don't have to order off the menu.  You tell the guy what you want and they will make it for you."  Then I remembered, Merle doesn't really like Chinese food--oops.  I should have suggested Bob Evans.

They were pretty adventurous however.

Pearl said, "I want shrimp with fried rice, and Won- Ton soup."

Merle said, "I want sweet and sour pork with fried rice, and Won-Ton soup.

I said,"I want beef with Chinese vegetables, steamed white rice, a small bowl of sizzling rice soup, and a pot of Oolong tea."

We had our tea--Oolong is the only kind of hot tea I like, and we had our eggs rolls--made on the premises.  

Pearl said, "These are good!  They taste so much better than that place we go to, Merle."

Merle nodded his head.

Then our dinners came--plates piled high with what we ordered--more than any of us could eat. 

Oh man--it was soooooo good.  I haven't had "real" Chinese food since I moved here.  Ernie and I used to go out once a month and have it--at a Chinese family owned place where they grew their veggies in their own garden.

Pearl ate her food with gusto, as did I--we chattered along as we ate.  I don't Merle liked his, but he did eat half. 

On the drive home, I thanked them over and over. I said, "I think it is good for me to get out once in awhile.  Did you like the food?"

Merle replied, "I liked the Fortune Cookie."

HAH.

12 comments:

  1. I like things planned and scheduled, too, but calling at 10 AM is enough lead time that I wouldn't consider that spur-of-the-moment. The food you guys had sounds so good! I miss Chinese and and other oriental food. I need to get more take-out. I honestly don't understand how anyone could not like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. About scheduling
    I am the same way :)
    Oh
    Chinese food - I miss
    soon maybe I can go to some special places
    it has been many many months.
    Stay close to home
    Flu - is everywhere :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful! See? You can learn to be spontaneous! :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a wonderful Chinese restaurant! I crave it and may have it once a year. Good places are few and far between here. That was so nice of Pearl and Merle to invite you out.
    On to my salmon and spinach dinner plans. I may have to have Chinese sometime this week. You planted the seed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like the perfect 'spur of the moment' evening. Glad you had a nice time. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds nice, Judy. I love Chinese but haven't had it in a long time. We get Thai at a restaurant five minutes from our house. It has less fat/calories and very good, too, but not quite as good as Chinese. My sister loves buffets. She loves nothing better than all-you-can-eat places. When I lived at Dad's, one of her favorite places was a buffet Chinese place. Like you, I was not crazy about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean .. I need a weeks notice.... and then I dither all week about... but once I get there you would swear it was all my idea............ jeez I'm a jerk ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I lost my taste for Chinese food a few years ago due to biting into something I didn't know what it was! Maybe one of these days I'll give it another chance!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is it golden door, or golden house??? brighton?? howell??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Golden Door--Howell. Been there for years, I guess.

      Delete
  10. gosh, I must be loosing it, can't find golden door in howell on the web or google, but can find golden house...can you help me out with a location or a picture or another clue?? new to the area and looking for good restaurants. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are NOT losing it--I guess I am. It's on GR, east just past National Street, in the Promenade Strip thingie.
      http://www.goldenhousechineserestaurant.com/Golden_House_Chinese_Restaurant/Welcome.html

      Delete