title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Saturday, January 31, 2015

My Life On The Farm

Because Sally asked:
This is a poorly constructed map of the three farms
(I made it in Excel)

My great, great, great grandparents, Conrad and Margaret, came from Germany to the New York port and lived in Watertown, NY for quite a few years.

Their son Peter and his wife Anne, my  great, great grandparents, moved to Wisconsin for a couple of years and then, in 1855, Anne's brother informed her that a large piece of farm land was available for sale just up the road from where he lived.  Peter and Anne came via Chicago and on up to Michigan by way of oxen cart.  There was a tiny sod house near the road. They had to clear the land, and in 1857, they built a small house.

To the left of the driveway in this photo.

In 1857, Peter built the larger home.  When his eldest son,( my great grandparents) Charles married Sophia Anna in 1892, they moved into the smaller house.  Two sons were born to them.  Roy-1893 and Ray 1895.

Peter and Anne died in 1899 and 1906, so Charles and Sophia, moved to the big house.  When their eldest son Roy and his wife Helene married, they lived in the smaller house.  Their only child Charles (my Daddy) was also born there.

My grandmother was the teacher at the small school on the corner of Beard and Vernon Roads.  As was the custom in those days, she boarded with the nearest family.  That's how she met my grandpa Roy.  Ray remained a bachelor all his life--there was an whispered  family story that he had also been in love with my grandma. :-)
1977

 When my mother died and step-mother came into the picture, she and my Dad (Charles) renovated and moved down to the house of the ancestor's.  1978 or 1979

When my Daddy died, my sister Susan inherited the farm.  She and her husband Chuck now live there.
This farm is the one shown on Vernon Road.















===================================================
My Daddy, Charles John was born in the little house in 1916.  In 1920, his parent's Roy and Helene, bought the farm just east of the ancestor's farm on Beard Road.  They shared the big woods.


 My grandparents, Roy and Helene, had a large sheep herd and also a poultry farm and hatchery.  In 1942, my grandfather and some neighbor's were out hunting for coyotes that had killed some of his sheep.  It was a raw day, he had a stroke and died of pneumonia on February 14th, at the age of 49.

Can you see my grandma and
me standing there by the driveway?
 My grandmother Helene, continued to run the farm until her death in 1966.



We moved to her farm on June 14, 1967, having renovated it a bit.  We only owned the house.  Daddy owned the rest of the land, which he farmed.


 My kids were 9, 8 and 6,
Jennifer was born in 1971.
In 1985, I gave the house to Pammie and moved to Saginaw for 12 years and then down here.



Pam and her husband did a bit more renovation with new siding and a deck on the west side of the house.

When Daddy died, Pammie inherited the whole farm.

This is the heart stone that the mason put in 
the foundation--left side of front door
in the above picture.
==========================
My parents Charles and Dorathy were married March 16, 1938.  They purchased the farm on the north-west corner of Beard and Vernon Roads.  I was born in their bedroom on June 21, 1939.  This is the farm I lived my first 18 years.



Can you see my playpen under that tree?
The room I was born on, is that window on the right.
My placenta and umbilical cord is buried in between 
the two pine tree.


My parents renovated the house in 1955.
Turning their bedroom into a large living/dining room with the fireplace.



The driveway I trudged down to get to the school bus.



After Daddy and step-mother moved down the road to the ancestral farm, Pammie and her husband lived on the farm, tending the cows and doing much of the farm work.

When I moved in 1985, they moved down the road to my house and my son Mark moved to this farm.


The house burned down in the early 1990's.  Mark was living there at the time.  My Daddy bought a double wide manufactured home and put it on a basement.  When Daddy died, Mark inherited the farm.





















Thus, the story of the Waltz, changed to Walts, family.  158 years on the same land.  
Peter, Charles E., Roy, Charles J., Judith and Susan, Mark and Pam.   
6 generations.

Now you know why my heart is still there on the land.
(along with my umbilical cord)  HAH!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




You can see on the map that my step-mom and her husband's farm were just north of my parent's farm--in fact they bordered each other.  They settled there in 1942 and my Daddy taught her husband how to farm.  He was a boy from Detroit and his mother bought the farm to keep him out of WWII.
He died December 1969, my mother in March 1970. (and I think you know the rest of that story)

Now to confuse you further, after my Daddy and step-mom married in 1971, she moved to this farm and rented her place to people who helped my Daddy on his farm.  In 1974, Susan and her first husband moved into step-mom's house, before they were transferred to Grand Rapids.   After Daddy and step-mom moved to the ancestral farm, Pammie and her husband lived on this farm.

11 comments:

  1. Judy
    you have such a rich and interesting history.
    This one is suffering terrible nighttime indigestion.
    Ate something I should not have 2 days ago
    and sure upsetting my stomach.
    No sleep last night
    and hopefully better today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you lay down, the acid comes up. I take an Omeprazole (Priloesec) every day. Alka Seltzer also works well. Milk before bed?

      Delete
  2. For some reason when I was looking through your photos I thought of Scarlet O'hara and Tara and her saying, "Why land is the only thing that means anything." Your family has a beautiful legacy in that area.

    You've done here in this blog what I want to do in a hard copy book about our family cottage. I want to photo document all the changes so I can still see them I'm too old to use a computer or wade through a bunch of albums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made a collage picture for Mark and Pam for Christmas. The pictures of their farms, through the years, that I put in this blog. They loved it. We all feel very strongly about the land. I too am working on a genealogy/picture book to give to each kid this Christmas. fun!!!

      Delete
  3. I remember the collages you made for your son and daughter; they were very, very nice and I'm sure appreciated.

    Our heritage is not too different from yours (my mom's side the farmers) but what I found interesting was in the area where you mentioned your "great grandparents" were married in l892. My "grandparents" were married in l893. I have NO friends whose grands were born in l873; in fact my dad's father was born that year also.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its great that you can actually places and things that go back so many generations! Wish I could do that without traveling to Italy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How interesting! So much family history within 2 or 3 miles, still going strong. I'm curious. Your Dad was an only child of young 22?year old parents. I wonder why he was the only child. Did your grandmother continue teaching while your dad grew up? My dad was an only child, shaped (scarred) by the depressions a young man, born about the same time as your dad. Your dad was young when he married, 22, and I guess this was typical. Then 23 when he had you, was 26 when his dad died and he took on complete responsibility for the farm? He wasn't called to serve in WWII

    You were 28 ? when you got married, and 32 with 3 babies when your mom died. You and your dad had a toxic relationship. Did you have a substitute mom or dad with anyone when you were raising your kids there?

    It must be so grounding to have these roots that have outlasted births and deaths of six generations. I am so proud that this land wasn't sold, or subdivided. Did/does your family make their living completely by farming, and were you, as a woman encouraged or discouraged to farm? It sounds like there was no prejudice, if your grandma worked the farm a good 24 years, your sister, your daughter and son still have their farms. Are they all productive still?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandmother was the eldest of 10 children--plus she almost died in childbirth, so I suppose one child was enough for them? My grandmother did not continue teaching, she was a farm wife helping her husband make a living. My Daddy was deferred from WWII because he WAS the only son of a farmer and a farmer himself and he had two farms to care for--to grow food and milk for the USA!

      I was one week shy of 18 when I married. Had three babies by the time I was 22. My mother died when she was 54, I was 31 and had Jennifer the next year when I was 32. My Dad was still around at the time I lived on the farm and my step-mother, but I needed no substitute Mother--no one could substitute for my Mother. I was 32--I could take care of myself, my husband, farm and children.

      I never wanted to marry a farmer--the work is too hard, but I always wanted to live on a farm. My son has no children and neither does my daughter who live on the farms and neither does my sister's one child want the farm, so as these people die (long after I'm gone I hope) the land will go to someone else.

      They DO NOT farm, but the land IS productive as they lease the land to young farmers in the area to grow their crops. The lease pays for the property taxes on the land. No dairy herds on these farms anymore however.

      Delete
    2. Ach! I had you marrying and having children ten years after you did. Gosh! You were so young when you married and had 3 children. You didn't marry a farmer, which you were glad of. Your dad farmed the land around your farmhouse, where you lived from age 29 to 47. I think I've got it!

      Delete
    3. Actually I moved to Grandmother's farm when I was 28 and left when I was 49--you got it :-)

      Delete
  6. Judy, these pictures are incredible, so beautiful. Family stories are so interesting. To think that your great uncle (Ray was your great uncle, right?) was in love with your grandmother and never got married.

    ReplyDelete