title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Friday, January 23, 2015

In the Olden Days

When I was born, in the bedroom of my parent's farmhouse, there was much celebration.  I was the first girl child born in three generations.  I am sure that is the ONLY reason my father had a child--to shut up his mother and grandparents.  After all, my parents didn't have another child for 13 years and she certainly wasn't planned.

Anyway, when I was born, the next day, our old neighbor's just to the west of our farm, came up the road, leading a Holstein heifer calf.  It was their gift to my parents for having a baby.  

That sounds odd, doesn't it?  I thought it was funny when I first heard about it, but my father soon stopped my laughter with his explanation, "You don't realize how dear that animal was to our neighbor.  That calf grew into a wonderful cow, one of my best producers of milk by weight.  She in turn calved and all her calves were heifers.  She turned out to be one of the best assets we had."

What a boon to my parents the baby Golden Girl (me) was.  Too bad he didn't put the money that cow brought in, into a trust fund for me.  Eh?  Oh well, the baby Golden Girl drank the milk and grew to be tall and strong and very healthy, and at my age now, that's more important than money.



=============================
Can you see all the squirrel tracks on my driveway?  They are such well mannered little rodents--as long as I keep the Flaming Squirrel mix on the bird feeders and corn and peanuts in the squirrel feeder.


I think I see some bunny tracks in there too.
=================================
At Christmas, my best friend Bethie gave me a gift card to the Rich People's store and today....I went there and got myself some treats.  I do love their deli salads--Antipasto, Crab Salad and Tuna Mac, cake, plus the biggest cinnamon rolls I have ever seen and candy bars.  I also got some cat food for the fur kids and a bag of potato chips.  I didn't want to waste my gift on more sensible stuff and besides that, those salads will do me for 7 meals!!  I'll be living high on the hog for the next week!  Thanks Beth--I love you!


====================================
A lot of my blog buddies are posting such profound words lately.  Thoughts and feelings and ponderings.  I can't come up with any of that right now.  I feel so calm and relaxed and lazy that I am hard pressed to know what to blog about.

I have had 10 days straight of perfect sleep--no dreams, no monster nightmares.  It could be the little Melatonin tab I take at bedtime, but I think it is because I have practically secreted myself away from the world.

On Face Book, if I see a link to a story about cruelty to animals, I refuse to even look at it.  The same goes for missing children/adults/pets.  I refuse to read any stories of what is going on in the East and I truly try not to read anything political.  I also have quit watching the news.  I turn it on to get the weather report, just out of curiosity because I couldn't care less if we get a snow storm or blizzard of two feet of snow, then I turn to another channel to watch a classic movie or I turn it off and read.

I have only been out in my car, four times this month and that basically was to meet with friends or family and to get food.  I filled my car with gas on December 27th, and it is still more than half full.

The most excitement I have had all month is playing games on Face Book, reading your blogs and cross stitching the baby quilt.  There has been a bit of drama on my Soap, but there's supposed to be, LOL.

My "Stay-cation" is about to end however, as next week I have a dentist's appointment, and go to the food bank and doctor appointment and blood draw coming up.

This has been the best January I have had in a long time.  
  

6 comments:

  1. I guess that's what it takes to get contentment these days! I do know some stuff on FB upsets me and I try to stay away from those things too! Well enjoy your weekend! I get to go try to find me a dress for that wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm kind of in the same grove you're in. I'm not listening to the news. I go to FaceBook to check out panda bear cams and videos of dogs doing funny things and skip the rest. I'm happily working on genealogy and much more content than I was last January. My world would be perfect, though, if you'd just share the name of that rich people's store you keep talking about. I want to know if there is one on this side of the state I should be checking out. I've even jacked up the print on my screen 300% and I still can't read the labels on your great looking food.

    I see rabbit tracks in your photo in with the squirrel tracks. I get rabbits on my deck every night. They eat the corn this year's crop of squirrels are too stuck-up to eat. I love my rabbits and sometimes I even get to see them if I'm wandering the house in the middle of the night.

    I've been doing flashback Thursdays on FaceBook this winter and that's been fun. I post an old photo from either Don's family or mine and let all my cousins, nieces and nephews try to figure out who they are. Sometimes I don't even know and want the help ID-ing people. It's been fun for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Judy! Sounds like the perfect January. I love having days where absolutely nothing is on the calendar. I'm enjoying it too ... but in the warm sunshine! I know I get at least one more winter here!!!

    My wonderful caretaker neighbors sold their house! Goes into escrow this morning. I'm so happy for them ... and a little sad for me ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great news that you are enjoying your time. It sounds divine, and those cinnamon rolls look delicious! I've got such a sweet tooth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you were able to get food that you really like. Such a blessing!

    No news on the tv here; I refuse to watch. And, just about everything happening I can see it on FB, especially politics which like you, I don't care to read. This world is crazy, I'm telling you!

    Enjoy the weekend; hope the rest of January is good for you as well as the first part has been.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My January has been good, too. It's been calm and peaceful. Who could ask for more. Like you, I've avoided the news. It's been so disturbing, but I only catch little snippets and then turn the channel.

    Your baby picture is so cute and those booties you're wearing are adorable.

    ReplyDelete