title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Lovely Day



I had lunch with my Byron School Gal Pals today.  It was nice.  No one dominated the conversation.  We ate at a new place, and the food was really good.  I had a small pizza, with leftovers for lunch tomorrow.  I was missing my best friend Beth, however.  We worried about her.  She's having a hard time, after her son's death.  Who wouldn't?

After lunch, I stopped in to visit my little sis for a few minutes.  Surprise!  She had a lunch today and invited her Byron School Gal Pals.  I was so glad to see them!  Being 13 years older than them, I still think of them as kids.  They were such adorable little girls when they were five and they still are.  They chattered like they did when they were little.  I was using every one's phone or camera to take a group shot of them and I had to reprimand them to "Please be quiet girls.  Now everyone say cheese."
Such fun.  I didn't want to intrude with their remembrances and walk down memory lane, so I only stayed a half hour and came home.

We had a beautiful sunset tonight.

If that new house wasn't in the way,
I would have a nice view of the sunset through the woods!
  

I had a new baby squirrel at the feeder today.  Baby Boo.

I also started a new tradition that I forgot to tell you about.  On New Year's Day, your are supposed to lay a dime on the ledge over your front door.  That keeps money from going out of your house.  My door ledge isn't wide enough, so I just taped it over the door.

Now--let's talk pillows!  I have SEVEN sleeping pillows and...none of them are comfortable to sleep on.  I was going to sleep on Fred's pillow, after he departed, but it was an old, standard sized down pillow and quite in need of cleaning and re-stuffing or something.  He had it ever since he was 20, so it was a bit..............well, I got rid of it.

I had a Contour Pillow, that had always helped my neck, but it was going a bit over the edge, the foam had turned a darkish brown and the neck "ridge" was a bit flat.  So, I got rid of it.

I decided to buy a really good pillow, so I got sucked in to the AS SEEN ON TV, My Pillow--for $70 bucks.  I had to fill our a questionnaire to get just the right fit.  My height, the fact that I am a side sleeper, queen size.
I never could get that thing to mold right for my neck and head
The instructions that came with it, said to wash and dry it after three months time.  I did.  It got so heavy with water that my washer could not spin it out.  So I rinsed it in the shower, squeezed as much water as I could out of it and put it out, on the porch, in the sun.  Three days later, it was all wonky and the case was covered in brown spots.  I took it from the porch and threw it over the railing into the garbage pail.

Back to an old king-sized pillow I had BEFORE I got the contour one that I liked and had thrown out!

One day, while at Art Van's, they had pillows on sale.  They had me lay down on a bed and "fitted" the pillow to my head and said it was perfect.  So, I purchased it--on sale, only $49.95!

It had an indentation where your head rested and neck support,
and a little embroidered heart that says, "I love my pillow:
So Sweet.
It was made from some kind of inner material that keeps it cool.  It got so cold on my head and neck that I'd wake up.

Do you know that you cannot return a pillow?  Even if you only used it one night?  Once it is out of the plastic wrap, it's yours!  It resides in the top of my bedroom closet with the rest of the pillows.

Last summer, Karen told me of a set of pillows she bought for them at Costco's.  "They are perfect for side sleepers.  We really like them."  So, she picked up a pair of queen size ones for me.

I thought we had hit pay dirt.  $30.00 for the pair.  (Why can't you buy good $10.00 pillows anymore?)
I was pretty comfortable sleeping on them, but my neck and back hurt every morning.  By November, they were not very supportive and rather squishy.

SO--I went on-line and found the same Contour Pillow I had purchased 15 years ago.  Another AS SEEN ON TV--queen size.  Perfect--with the roll to support my head, the indentation where my head lays and support when I sleep on my side.

Another "World's Most Comfortable Pillow"
It felt really hard and stiff, but it did support my neck.  My neck felt better in the mornings, but my shoulders ached, as did my back.

So...here we are.  All pillows reside on the shelf in the bedroom closet AND I am sleeping on an older one that is mushy and I just wad that dang thing up, put a ridge under my neck and squash the rest of it up to put my cheek on when I sleep on my side.

Perhaps I should go back to sleep with no pillow--like I did in my 40's?

Any pillow advice would be appreciated!!!


10 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had a great day with your pals.

    I don't like those contour pillows. I'm a stomach sleeper and a back sleeper, so a specialized pillow just doesn't work for me. I like the cheap pillows from Meijer. I doubt I've every paid more than $20, I wait for sales. And I have a body pillow that is really nice for stomach sleeping. Next time you buy one, don't remove the plastic before you try it out so you can get around the return policy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got nothing because I can't find a good pillow either! I am using the same one that I've been using for years. I constantly have a sore neck and upper back, but I'm not sure if its from sleeping or having to sit at a desk so much! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so hard to find a good pillow. I have four pillows on my bed, two very firm and two firm. Everynight I mess around with different combinations until I find the ones that work for where I ache the most that day.

    Makes me sound like I'm 100 years old doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use the same contour pillow
    you showed
    love it.
    Yes it is hard
    but you get use to it
    and my shoulders and neck
    no longer ache...

    ReplyDelete
  5. We, too, have struggled with the pillow. I'm like Fred, in that I loved my pillow from when I was a child. It was down, and I think it was from my grandma's house, so let's not even think how old that thing was. It finally had to go, and I've still struggled. We recently got these bamboo pillows from Sam's club, and while they are a bit higher than I was used to, it does stay in a good place, and I've slept well nearly every night since getting them. They can be fluffed in the dryer, which husband likes. I'm still okay with mine as is. Good luck - it is so difficult!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No advice here; I sleep with the one I've had for years - a feather pillow.

    What a beee-uuu-t-full sunset. Oh my goodness. I love it.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, man, Judy. I totally identify with this post. I have two down pillows that I bought about fifteen years ago. They've lost their feathers, and I'm dreading trying to find two more. A pillow is a huge part of getting a good night's sleep. I always take them with me on vacation. I hope you can find something.

    That sunset is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A year ago I bought two My Pillows from QVC at a special value price. I have yet to launder mine. I did have to launder my husband's out of necessity and, yes, they do get really heavy when wet. I never tried to lift anything that heavy before and was amazed. The dryer handled it but it took a good long while to get dry. I love My Pillow and will never use anything else. It took me too long and too much $$$ to find the right one. My husband does not agree with me but he still uses his all the time. I guess like everything else, pillows aren't always one size fits all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man. My daughter drags her old, worn out cheap pillow everywhere. I guess I am really lucky . I do well with Costco part down pillows. Side sleeper. Big time snorer. Nap on my stomach.

    Keep trying ... then keep it forever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with you all the way on this! Currently I've got three pillows on my side of the bed and it feels too high. I get rid of one and it feels too low. GRRRR.... Jx

    ReplyDelete