title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Monday, January 6, 2014

The Polar Vortex Has Descended Upon Us




I know what you mean Ernestine.  No phone calls from kids here either.  They assume I'm okay until the sheriff or hospital notifies them otherwise, LOL..


A look out my front window this morning revealed this--
16 inches of snow--officially.
That doesn't include the drifts that have occurred



So, I went to my front door to open it and look out and....
I could open it about one inch.
Both front and back doors blocked by at least a foot of snow. 

So, I stuck my camera lens through the opening and took a picture. 


Darlene felt trapped yesterday--well today, I am truly trapped.  Good day to cross stitch or clean house--whichever motivation wins--and we ALL know which one will win, LOL.

My ADHD Tasmanian Devil Snow Shoveler never showed up today.  I am the only person in this park that is still snowed in.  I hope he comes tomorrow or I will have to do some myself.  I just want to clean off my car and start it up and let it run for awhile.

My neighbor Tami, saw me complain on FB about being trapped by the snow packed up on my storm door, so when she was out shoveling her drive, she came over.  Made a path from the street up to my porch and cleaned off the steps, the porch and the snow up on my door.  When I first opened up the storm door, I actually got a feeling that I was free.  I sound like Darlene, LOL.

Now we under the wind chill warning.  It was 9 degrees when I got up--the temps continued to drop and it is now -16.  I have no idea what the wind chill is, but probably near -30.

My house has been making loud popping sounds as the siding contracts.  One was so loud, it raised me off my chair and sent the cats running under the bed.  It sounded like my whole east wall had fallen off the house.  I hope the cement foundation doesn't heave--it has before--that really causes a problem because then, none of the closet doors will shut and the front door will get gee hawed and not open very easily.  Our homes sit on cement blocks, on a cement pad, so if the cement heaves, the whole house gets unleveled and it is very costly to get them leveled again.

Well--let's see what tomorrow brings--okay?

8 comments:

  1. Snow and drifting snow is so deep over on this side of the street it isn't funny. My new part time job is keeping the outside doors from being blocked. Otherwise, I'm doing fine. As long as the power stays on I can deal with the rest. I'm getting those snapping sounds too, sounds like a gunshot sometimes and the windows are even making a popping sound, not to mention the furnace pipes, Never knew a snowstorm to be so noisy!

    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was seven when I got up this morning at 5 a.m. It's almost 10:30 and it's 8 degrees now. Our house was doing that cracking thing this morning, too. It's been a while since I've seen temps like this in VA, but I've never seen the wild fluctuations in temps like we've had this year. Sixties one day and teens or single digits the next. Are you able to get your mail?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such severe weather.....hope you will warm up as the week goes on. We are at 15 here at 11:15 am today.Wind making it much colder. Just staggered out of bed as the flu still has me leveled. Went in to work yesterday for the morning but had to leave and come right home to bed.
    LM left to drive to NJ at 6 am today. Really cold. My daughter arrived back in FL at her house last night and it was 25! She had just come from their house in the Bahamas. Rude awakening. Hoping your shoveler has arrived by now. Warming up as the week goes on

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness - I hope that you don't have too much trouble with the concrete after this. Did you enjoy Downton.... Jx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you will think I am crazy but I remember snow like this and really miss it... keep warm

    ReplyDelete
  6. They call
    but guess when weather is bad
    I am more needy
    Warming now
    and this one is fine...

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are out for the first time this week. It's been okay - thank goodness a new furnace was needed BEFORE this happened. I was ready to get out, but just for a little while. I'm now ready to be back home again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How are you doing, Judy. You haven't lost power, have you?

    ReplyDelete