title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Friday, January 17, 2014

Some Days..........

Today's high temperature was: 30 degrees
Partly Sunny
==============================

I don't understand how I can feel so great one day and then the next, feel so dizzy and woozy.  Some days--I just can hardly get around.  This is one of those days.

I have had a vicious headache for three days.  I haven't had a headache in years, so I knew this one was probably a pre-condition for a stroke.  Or, perhaps I had a brain aneurysm?  It might also be a brain tumor,as my balance has been off lately.  I suppose it could be from the arthritis in my neck?  I have been having a lot of neck pain lately.  BUT--you know me and my fears/worries/phobias/neuroses!  I have to believe the worst about everything, so if it DOES happen, I am prepared!!

I could not get to sleep last night because of the pain so at midnight, I went to my bathroom drug cabinet and pulled out the bottle of Tylenol #3 (with Codeine).  I wanted to take a Percocet, but decided that was too strong and might make me woozy today.

I slept well.  Woke up fairly early and my head was so foggy. it seemed hard to see and my balance was off and the headache was back.  Yup--with the balance problem, it was probably a stroke.

At least I knew what day it was, thanks to my flip card, hanging on my
bedroom closet door knob.


So, Buddy and I climbed into my chair
and watched TV and cross stitched and watched the show
going on outside the window.





The headache would not go away, but I was feeling a bit steadier on my feet--obviously a hangover from the pain pill I took last night.  I got out of my chair at noon, ate some Tuna-Mac salad and, thinking of how my neck was hurting and it might be the arthritis, I took a Naproxen.

Two hours later, after my soap, the headache was gone, my neck didn't hurt anymore and I was ready to tackle this!!

This job should take 10-15 minutes.  Unhook the chain that
goes to the flapper, from the flush lever.
HOWEVER--as it always is,  the old lever had a small
"O" ring that was attached to the lever.  The chain,
instead of having a simple hook onto the lever, 
had instead a lock hook, onto the "O" ring on the lever!
.  I had to use the needle nose
pliers to pinch together the chain hook and get if off the "O" ring.

Got it off, however the chain fell down into the icy
water of the tank.
Got the lever out with no problem and since
the new lever had no "O" ring to attach the chain,
I had to pry it off with the pliers, from the old one
to use on the new one,  and...
of course it broke!
Let's worry about that later.

The new lever went through the whole on the side of the
tank easily, HOWEVER, as it always is, the lever
was sticking up toward the tank top.
I took it out and put it in the other way and now...
the lever was sticking out over the edge of the tank,
with the handle facing backwards.
This is a Universal flush lever--to fit side or front
flush handle spot, but something definitely is amiss.

I cut the new level for the correct length and then...
laid it beside the old one and could see the problem.
Different angle and no matter which way I put it
into the hole, it would not work.

Okay--not to worry because the only damn thing
I needed to fix the old lever, is the plastic nut
that holds the lever tight against the inside of
the tank--and the new lever has one such nut.


Threw the new lever into the wastebasket.
Slide the old lever back into place,
put the new plastic nut on it and turned it--
ah yes--reverse threaded--GEEZ.
Got it tightened on--now to hook it back up.

Okay--the little metal "O" ring that the chain clips into is broken.
So..what can we use?
Undaunted--I got some of my copper wire and cut off a small bit.

Man that water in the tank is cold!!!
Pushed the wire through the hole in the lever and attached the clip from the chain--
wired it up and--VOILA

So I cobbled the job, and it took me twice as long, but guess what--it flushes just perfectly and in the whole scheme of things--that is all that is necessary!!

Put all my tools away and wobbled back to my chair.  The headache was back and making me nauseous--just like a Migraine would.  

I'm very, very glad I have an appointment at the Chiropractor's on Monday because, that will help my back, neck, shoulder and all will be well--I just know it will.  AND no more "Mind Monsters" (as Bella calls them) about strokes, aneurysm or brain tumor to worry about!!!

....and if this nausea keeps up, at least I have a flushing toilet to curl-up around!
==========================
I almost forgot--today is my oldest child and only son's birthday.  Mark Templeton Miller
January 17, 1958
7:28 p.m.
8# 15 oz.
==============================

Balisha--I already had the frame and was thinking about what I could cross stitch to put in it. 

 9 x 26 inches















6 comments:

  1. Wow, I can't believe they built a cabinet so tight above the toilet! That sure made the job harder than it should have been.

    You're making me nervous with your headache. If you even think you're going to have or might have arm or leg pain along with the headache, you get someone to take you to emergency ASP! Even if it's the middle of the night. Don't wait around!!!!! The window to reverse a stroke is very short---just a few hours---and the sooner a person can get to ER the less permanent damage that is done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I have a niece-in-law who lives in your part of the state and she's been suffering a lot of migraines brought on by our weather.

    Take care, Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I hate that you've been having pain, Judy. I agree with your friend, don't take any chances. Hopefully, the chiropractor will be able to fix you right up.

    I didn't realize Mark was born in l958; you were a baby yourself. :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. You truly are a genius of home repair.....and what tenacity!! Congrats on the toilet project. I'd have been daunted and defeated quite quickly.
    Mark's baby photo is so cute.....love it.
    Buddy and Maggie certainly do have great "live' bird watching facilities..look like some yummy specimens and I am sure they would love a snack. Glad they are safely inside.
    Hope your headache is gone today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judy, you are so clever. I'm not kidding. Good job.

    Jean R. is right. Please take precautions and don't waste time if you have problems.

    Buddy and Maggie have the life, don't they. A warm place to sleep, good food and entertainment and a mama to love them.

    I love this line...
    "....and if this nausea keeps up, at least I have a flushing toilet to curl-up around!"
    Oh, Judy, and you say you're not an optimist. LOL

    Now I'm off to read the posts I've missed. Can't wait to see the cross stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops! I had to come back because I forgot to tell you that I had a couple of friends when I lived in Maryland who said they always got terrible headaches when the barometer dropped or rose a lot. I guess it really affects some people.

    ReplyDelete