title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

I Am Coming Into a Transit Time Period

Today's high temperature was: 7
Partly Sunny
Snowing tonight.  Going to be -15 degrees
================================

Minus 13 degrees when I woke up this morning to frozen water pipes!!  I have a heat tape on my exterior pipes--never have had a problem.  I did not open cabinet doors to let the warm air in.  I did not turn faucets on to let water trickle.  All the things I used to do in cold weather in my farmhouse--I have never done here, because--I THOUGHT THE HEAT TAPE WAS SUFFICIENT!!!  Apparently not!

Turned furnace up to 78 degrees, opened all cabinets by water pipes, turned on water taps. Called a plumber. Shoveled a big bucket of snow and brought into the house to melt so I could have something to flush.
================================
While I waited for the plumber--I did this:
Buddy climbed up into the rocker, Maggie climbed up with me
and I x-stitched and watched TV,
while they napped.

Working on the little brown bunny

Watching the birds outside

Got the bunny done

I love the basket weave on the cradle


Pipes did not thaw out so I knew, the problem was under the trailer.  Plumber finally arrived at 3:00, a nice young man, crawled under that crawl space like he knew what he was going.  Checked and the heat tape is fine.  However, because of the heaving and shifting of the cement pad this place sits on, it had opened up a small crack in the skirting and that is right where the pipe froze--about 6 inches of pipe.  He got out a propane heater and stuck it in there and we waited to see what would happen.  Nothing!

30 minutes later, I had water!!  Where the pipe comes up from the ground, has a ceramic bowl around it.  Apparently, snow had gotten into it, melted and then froze.  Usually the crock is dry, but because of the  teeny, tiny space between the skirting and the cement (from the trailer shifting), the snow got in there.  Next spring I will be sure dig out that area, put in much more soil and rocks and a 2x4 to keep it solid!!!

I asked him how it happened, why it happened and what could I do to keep it from happening again--this is how I have learned ALL my household maintenance thingies--so now--I know one more, :-) He also shoveled a lot of snow up around the skirting for extra insulation.

Plumbers around here charge $200 an hour, but this guy does a lot of jobs in this park, so it cost me $160--$80 an hour.  GEEZ!!! still a lot!   AND keep the faucets trickling a bit on these horrible, frigid nights to keep the water flowing--so the H2O molecules can't stick together and freeze.

It actually was a nice experience, as I have had with all repair and service people in this area.  They come from smallish towns and schools.  He is one of 14 children, has a twin brother, and is marrying his high school sweetheart in March.  "We found a nice little house, just around the corner up here.  We never would have known it was for sale, but one day, it was as if God sent us on a ride, because we never have gone on that road before, and we saw it. (big grin)  We want four children and I am going to be a great Dad."...and I'll bet he will.
================================  

OMG!!!  I am going to win the Publisher's Clearing House contest!!!  One Million a year for life!

How do I know this?  I filled out one of those free on-line horoscope thingies and this morning I received an e-mail from the astrologer who did my report and she said" I am shocked at the transit period you are coming into.  Within the next three months,  you will receive a huge financial windfall!!!

Read on for your full report!"  and of course, I could have my whole report for.......money, of course,  She wants money.  Apparently she did not read the section where I said I needed financial help?

Just my luck, my "windfall" would be the big Maple tree, onto my house, smashing it to smithereens--which then, I could claim house insurance--I have good house insurance!

I will wait and if I win PCH, I will send her money for my full report, LOL.
========================================
Well--what will tomorrow bring?



8 comments:

  1. Well as expensive as the plumbers call was, it was a nice and valuable experience. So glad everything is OK and there were no flooding issues.
    The cross stitch quilt is adorable and I love the photos of you in the chair with your "kids"....those two have it made.
    I'm up at 5 and getting ready to go back to work. Long time away and there will be so much to catch up on. Nice it will be two days and then 2 days to rest.
    Hope it warms up a bit there. It is very cold here, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just hang in there.
    Almost zero here this morning
    and wind is fierce.
    But
    we can see, walk, talk, eat and so much more.
    I am just trying to stay positive
    as a lot is going on with family
    and all I can do is listen.
    Life is a journey
    and we just keep learning...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely view you have - and the sunshine! I'm jealous. Even though it is freezing, frigid, I can manage with the sun. Unfortunately, it has taken leave for several days. Love the cross stitch. I miss doing that, but I have only so much time to craft, and right now knitting is my thing. Glad your water is back and functional. At least the young man was courteous and kind. That makes paying him a little less painful! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry that happened, Judy. That's a lot of $$, but I suppose it could have been worse. You know so much about how to fix things around your house; all I know is how to put a safety pin on the chain in the toilet tank, and how plunge one. :)

    Hope you have a good day, and stay warm.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always wondered why trickling water doesn't freeze. Now I know. Wish you didn't have to go through all that, but at least you met a good plumber. Some young people can be a delight to be around.

    Try to stay warm! It's going to be awhile until we have a break.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, if you do win PCH just remember that I am your best friend!!!! LOL! Glad your pipes unfroze. This winter is really turning out to be a bugger!!! Cannot wait for Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have two fears in this cold weather.

    1. My power will go out.
    2. My pipes will freeze.

    I've lived here almost 20 years and the pipes have only frozen once, but it cost me almost $600 to have them thawed out!! My home sits on a slab and the pipes had frozen in the foundation.

    So, through this subzero cold I've kept my cabinet doors open and run a trickle of water in the sink. (Just in my kitchen, my bathrooms are on inside walls). I imagine my water bill will be double what it normally is, but that's cheaper than thawing those pipes.

    I'm glad you got yours thawed out and it sounds like you had a nice visit with the repair guy too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I was a kid, we did that trick of opening the cabinet doors and keeping the water running. It's going to be 10 here. We have snow on the ground but it isn't going anywhere. Glad you had a good plumber. He sounds like a nice kid. Good luck on winning PCH. Just remember the little people when you win.

    ReplyDelete