title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Good Grief!

Today's high temperature was: 23 degrees
Snow
==============================
I decided yesterday that I wouldn't run up to the store.  That I would stop on my way home today, after the school gals luncheon.  Then I decided not to go to the luncheon.  So, this morning wanted to run up to the store.  I was out of  milk, wet cat good, Diet Pepsi and I wanted to get a new "nut" to put on my toilet flush handle to fix it.

It was snowing a bit, but the weather man had said, "1/2 to 1 inch"--no big deal.  I decided to wait until 2:00 to go--the snow was suppose to stop by then.

Well--let me tell you what--it was still coming down at 2:00, heavier then this morning and the wind was blowing!  It took me forever to clean off my car and get the windows defrosted and take off.  The semi-highway out in front is usually always clear--not this afternoon.  It was slushy with snow and it was slick under the snow.  The Meijer store is on the right side of the highway, so I just got in the right lane and drove along--I was going about 45, when I had to stop at a traffic light and the car wanted to slide a bit, so I slowed it down to 35.  A better idea anyway as it was practically a white out!!

Got to the store and got everything I needed, and a few more things--as it always seems I do.  Couldn't find just a nut for the flush lever, so I bought a whole new handle kit--cost $7.00.  It is made of plastic, as the original one I had is, but here, in this area of water with a high content of lime, calcium, rust--plastic holds up much better than metal.  It's going to be an easy fix, actually.  Unhook the handle from the chain that goes down to the flapper, put the new handle in, tighten the nut, hook the handle up to the chain.  Easy Peasy.

Of course, it won't be, because--I have a high profile toilet and the bathroom furniture is sits under, makes working in the tank very tight.  I shall prevail however, even if I have to empty everything out of that cabinet and move it out.  No big deal!! (she said).

Loaded up the car with groceries, drove home--even heavier snow then before, brought up the empty garbage can, got the mail, unloaded all the groceries and got in the house.  I was covered with wet, cold snow.  My hair was sopping wet--I have my summer hair cut you know--very short.  All of this misery could be alleviated a bit IF I wore a hat.  And gloves.  And boots.  LOL.  I don't even start wearing a winter coat until Christmas......two days ago, I was outside filling bird feeders and walked down to Pearls in my sweatshirt.  It was 40 degrees--I didn't need a coat.
=====================================
Finally got the camera---6 days after promised arrival date.  It is newer then mine, but it is not as nice.  Mine had an eye piece to look through AND the screen--this one only has the screen to hold up in front of you.  Mine had a stabilizer thingie so I could take pictures and not worry about my shaky hand.  This one does not.  BUT--it was half the price of what it would have cost to fix my old one--which had already been repaired two years ago.  I have trouble with the zoom feature--things tend to come out blurry--but that may be my shaky hand.  I did manage to get some pix.

I think I already showed you my school?


The Methodist Church where my grandfather once preached,
my parents were married (and buried), where I was baptized, as
were all my children.  Where I got married, my sister,
and Pammie got married.
My mother planted 5 small pine trees around that church
when I was in first grade.  They are still there, and nearly
70 years old.


The ancestor's house, where sister lives now.
Their yard is full of Maples, so I had to put a Maple
tree in the picture.
I had a heck of a time trying to figure out how to
put Ginger Bread trim along the eaves.  Some goes over
the windows too, but thought it showed too much clutter.
Also got my school bus stitched, with the name of
the town--Byron.


Not a very good picture.  
I remembered to put my dog over by my childhood farm--left side.

So--there it is.  The first eighteen years of my life.  I just wanted to keep adding things--I had such a great time making this.  I still do not know how I did it.  I have never cross stitched anything without a pattern.  My Mother would be amazed (as was my sister, LOL)

Now to stretch it on a piece of foam core and get it into the frame.


Of course, the minute I was done with this, I started the new quilt.

This thing is loooooong.
It will take me a few months to finish--
which is a good thing.




Oh just great--it's still snowing outside.  Oh well--doesn't matter.  I have no where to go until Monday.

Let's see what tomorrow brings.  It is Friday you know--or so my hanging flip cards tell me, LOL.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, my gosh, that cross-stitch turned out great! I'm glad you were finally able to get a camera so you could share it with us out here in cyber space.

    You should see me when I go outside in our Michigan winter. I have the works on include a scarf over my mouth, boots with long socks, heavy ski gloves, knit hat and a heavy coat. I have a fear of falling and getting hypothermia but mostly I just get too cold if I did what you do.

    Glad you found parts for your toilet, since you mentioned the lime in water wearing out the part you needed it couldn't have been the same part I was writing about in my last comment since that part on my toilet is on the outside, not the inside. When I worked inside my toilet awhile back I ended having to wear a hat with a clip-on flashlight so I could see inside! Great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an amazing, heirloom piece you've made! Be sure to sign and date it.

    You have such talent!

    That snow yesterday was blinding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just sitting here looking at your beautiful creation and wondering how you are going to frame it? It appears to be rather long and maybe not so easy to find a frame for. I had an oddball piece framed at Michael's and even with a 40% off coupon...cost me an arm and a leg. Now, I find the frame and then do the picture.
    Glad you got out...maybe you should take up knitting and knit yourself a nice warm hat and mittens :)
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cross stitch of your life is very impressive! Kind of like your life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judy, Judy! That is spectacular. Hope you show it to us after it's framed. I can't believe you did all that without a pattern. Sorry your new camera isn't as nice as your old one.Be careful in all that snow.

    ReplyDelete