title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Saturday, April 29, 2017

WHEW!!

I've been absorbed with the latest genealogy I am doing.  So absorbed that I had no desire to write a post and, there's nothing else going on here.

I got stuck!  I had no problems finding all I needed for the father's side of the family, but when I started the mother's side?  Three generations up and could not find the parents.  Nowhere could I find that guy's parents.  Not a birth record.  Not a census listing his parents.  Not a marriage or death record that listed them.

I perused State records, not listed in Ancestry.com, but just in Internet State records.  Nothing.
I Googled his name.  Nothing.  I spent hours searching.  Uncharged hours because I didn't feel it was fair to charge my client for the hours I spent searching for something I KNEW HAD to be there and I just couldn't find!  That was Thursday.

I took a break and got my hair cut.  I had been trying to get an appointment with the new stylist I have at Fantastic Sam's.  They don't DO pre-appointments.  You call the day you want and see if your stylist has an opening.  (I hate that!)  So Thursday, I had to run into Brighton and figured, as long as I was in town, I'd just drop in and see.  I was at the point where I'd take ANYONE to get the long hair off my neck!  Well, I walked in and asked and it just happened that the stylist was sitting in her chair with no customer.  

YAY!  I was outta there in 30 minutes.  I don't really like it there.  Not much personal interaction.  I had known my last hair stylist for 14 years.  She had done my daughter's and grand daughter's hair and that's how I found her.  She knew most everything about me and me, her.  Then she died and they set me up with another one in that salon, and we got pretty well acquainted.  Then she decided to get her own salon, many miles out of town and three round-abouts to get to her.

Karen recommended this stylist as her friend goes there and the stylist DOES know how to cut short hair.  But....it's kind of like a drive-thru oil change place.  You go in, you get your hair washed and cut and out you go.  When she was done with the cut, she whipped off the cape around me and headed off to turn her ticket into the cashier.  By the time I got to the cashier, the stylist was gone.

Bada Boom, Bada Bing.  No "Hi how are you?".  No,, "Thanks, have a nice day." In you go and out you go.  I did get a decent cut this time, after she finally relented to cut it shorter in back.  She "thinks" (I guess) that I want fringes hanging down the back of my neck.  When she was done, I asked for a mirror so I could see the back and then asked her to cut it much shorter.  "Shape it in from the sides to that natural point I have on the back of my neck.  I don't want to look in a mirror and see any hair hanging down behind my ears."  She did!  I don't think she likes it that way, but it was perfect!

It only costs $17.00, which is half what I used to pay, so--------in and out we go and no chit chat!
=======================
Friday morning I got right back into the genealogy.  I was searching again--places I had already been, thinking I had missed something.  Then--all of a sudden, a message came up on the monitor that asked if I wanted to link into another search program.  It is not connected to Ancestry.com, but can be linked (like Ancestry) into the program I use to collect, sort, record and store all my information.  

What the heck, right?  Why not.  I opened an account, it's free, when it came up, I put in the name and--Oh My Gosh--there he was and his parents and his parents and on and on back 11 generations!!!

YOWZA!!!  What a gold mine!

So that's how I spent Friday--and that's why I didn't post on here. 

Onward and upward I go.  Printing out information, scanning records, inputting the info into my Family Tree Maker.  I also ordered two brand new inkjet cartridges and a box of the special paper I use because.....I am going to be writing and putting the book together sometime next week!

YAY!!!

9 comments:

  1. Research and be so frustrating one day and exciting the next, can't it. I could never be bored as long as I have a computer.

    I would hate going to the hair salon you go to. If I go a half day over my four weeks my hair drives me nuts, it's so thick. I need appointments I can book four weeks ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's good you keep so busy judy - and that most of the time you enjoy what you are doing!!

    i like having appointments for my haircuts, i have never heard of a system like that!!! have a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you got that breakthrough!!!!

    And that you got the hair cut you wanted.

    Yeah, sometimes you have to keep after them, about this or that. With me, it's the bangs. Straight across, or curved down at sides. She likes curved and I like straight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your hair dresser situation makes me want to cry. So sad that you lost your favorite hair dresser. Death is very final. Mine moved to Mount Shasta. Said I gave her the idea to do what she wanted to do--buy an old house and turn it into an event venue. She turned me over to another hair dresser who lasted about a year and also decided to retire. Maybe I talk too much about how I enjoy retirement!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on ancestor break through! You are SOOO persistent!

    I, too, like to book my next appt right while I am leaving an appointment. This time I had a cold and it was two days before the stylist was leaving for a three week trip to Italy ... so I let her choose ... wear a mask or I'll wait til she gets back. Can't get in til May 19 so I've been sleeping on rollers every other night.

    Retirement IS fun ... but maybe we should stop talking it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love my haircut like you like yours. And, finally found the ONE. She's a talker but she really gets into her work too. She's in a little private shop with just one other hairstylist. SO happy to have found her about a year (maybe)
    and she charges $15.00 with shampoo, cut, style, etc. I always give her twenty because anywhere else would be MUCH more.

    I'm so glad you persevered in finding the information you needed. That's call for a happy dance. :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so wonderful that you were able to find what you were looking for!! I wonder why Ancestry didn't have it but the other link did? Very interesting. Sounds like you should've played the lottery on Friday. What a great day it was all around for you!! : ) Have a wonderful rest of your weekend. I sent you an invite to the new blog. I'm new to all of this private blog stuff. My main reason for starting a private blog is for the same reason you keep yours out of any search engines. There are some things I need to get off my chest that have to do with family. Sad but true. xo

    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's awesome that you got that breakthrough on the genealogy you are working on.. I like the lady who does my hair at BoRics. Now she colors it for me too so we're getting more acquainted!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You must share this Geneaology site. i have the same problem with one of our family ancestors. It's like they just appeared in thin air with no history!

    ReplyDelete