title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Thursday, June 2, 2016

News From The Front

I did tell you my October expected great grand babe is a girl.  Right?  I did tell you that.

Her youngest Aunt, my Precious Girl Madeleine, had been taking care of a 90 year old lady at night.  NOT part of her nurses training, just because she wanted to and got $$ for it.  The 90 year old lady died last week and Maddie was upset because, her supervisor told her not to go to work that night.  The lady was in Hospice care and near the end.  Her supervisor thought it wouldn't be a good idea for a young woman to be there when the lady died.  Maddie WANTED to be there and was very upset that she couldn't be.  

Karen called the supervisor and talked with her about it.  "Where did this daughter of yours come from?"  asked the supervisor.  "Most people, especially young people wouldn't want to with a dying person!"

I have often wondered the same thing.  Maddie is an extraordinary young women.   She heard that the lady she stayed with in Guatemala last spring was not feeling well, so, Maddie got on a plane, all by herself and flew down there to be with the lady for the next two weeks.  

I think Maddie is part Angel, sent here for all of us to learn from.  Which makes me have a weird thought that she is SO good, that God may call her back early.   (I told you it was a weird thought).
===========================
The last e-mail I got from Jennifer stated that she had received a GREAT invitation and promotion from her Law firm here in Michigan, IF she would move back to Michigan.  That invitation came with an appointment to our State Capitol where she would work with the Governor on setting up Non-Profits in Michigan.  Apparently she is the expert on that and has been to many conferences around the US and in Europe just for that purpose.

Well, when Eric's father heard about that, he told Eric that he wanted him to take over the father's main office in Manhattan.  The largest office.  The multi-million dollar prosthetic/orthotics office in New York City.  Jennifer let her Law office here know that she would be staying in New Jersey.

Well, I just found out, Eric's father has rescinded his offer!!!!!

Over the last 14 years, Eric's father had given him this offer.  Eric has gone to New Jersey for a month each time--6 times in all.  He always came back here with the declaration, "I can't work with my father!"  One such time, 7 years ago, the moving vans were coming to Eric and Jen's on a Saturday morning to move them to NJ.  On Friday night , we had all gathered at their house, to say Good-bye.  The next morning she called to say they had changed their mind.

That's why last fall, we didn't get too ramped up--until we actually saw them and the moving company drive out of their driveway.

Now this!  Eric hasn't worked since November 2014. Jen has been supporting the whole family.  Pam is so mad she's spitting nails!  She flat out told Jen to, "Move back here.  I've got plenty of room for you and the kids to stay with me!"

I, of course, do not verbalize any opinions, because it's much better that way.
-----------------------------------
I am a bit ticked off at my sister.  When I was out visiting her, after the estate sale, not once did I bring up the subject of how much they made, what our share would be, or anything of that nature.  I felt it was up to her to tell me and be fair in what amount she gave me.  

A few days later she called and asked me what I wanted to do with my share.

"I talked with Pam on the best way to set this up.  Either an account in her and your names.  Or an annuity, with both your names. What do you want to do?"

I had no idea how much my share was.  If it was $500.00, I'd take it in cash.  If it was $1 million, I'd set up an annuity.  I wondered why she had talked to Pam about it before she talked to me.

"How much did you make?"  I asked

"Well, how do you want your share?"

"I gotta know how much it is before I figure out what to do!"

She finally told me.  "I'll call you back," I said.

An hour later, the phone rang.  It was Karen.  "Mom!  Are you excited about how much you got from the sale?"

GEEZ LOUISE!  I wondered how many other people knew what my share was BEFORE I did!
================
Pardon my language, but things like this really piss me off!!!  

Just like with my son's cancer.  Everyone knew before I did.  Now, apparently my sister talked with my kids to see how they should arrange for Old Decrepit Judy's OWN inheritance.

My share is far less than they got from their grand father, eight years ago.  I would have told them, eventually, but I didn't think it was up to my sister to call them and discuss all this before she talked to me!

It makes me feel that they feel I am so old and senile that I can't make a decision for myself.  One step away from the old folks home where they can control ALL my business.

Of course, I said nothing to my sister about this.  I just like to keep those feelings inside and stew in my own juices.

Tuesday, Susan called again.  "You should put it into a special checking account so you can draw from it when you need it."

"I'd like part of it in cash so I can pay for my paint job, carpet and fireplace."

"You don't want it in cash!"

"Why not?"

"Because you don't want to keep cash in your house!"

"Why not?"

"Because you never lock up your house when you leave and one of your neighbor's could break in and steal it!"

"One of my neighbors?  Which one?  Pearl?  Merle?  John?"

"Well, someone could drive by and decide to break in."

"I have kept cash in this house ever since I lived here.  No one knows I have any money.  All anyone has to do is look at my 18 year old car sitting out in front and know I don't have any money."

"Well.  I will give you cash if you promise to lock up your house every time you leave."

"That won't do any good.  My front door is so flimsy, even if it was locked, anyone could just nudge it and walk in."

"Well, do you want me to write a check?  Or do you want a Cashier's check?"

So we decided.  She would keep my inheritance in her savings account and write me a check for what I needed to get my paint job, carpet and fireplace.  She would write me a check and I would cash it when I needed it.

Yesterday, she and Chuck came down and she gave me a bank envelope with cash.  GEEZ!!

So, now I have cash in my house!  GEEZ LOUISE!!  It is so well hidden that it would take a burglar a month of Sundays to find it.  Susan said, "Just don't hide it so well you forget where you put it."

What the hell?  I am 76 years old!  Not 96!  My mind is perfectly sound and sane!  I even put a note in my Funeral Box so if I die tomorrow, Pam will know where my stash of cash is hidden!  PLUS, I made an Excel spreadsheet with how much the total amount was and when I received the cash AND that the rest is in Susan's savings account!  Printed that out and put it into the Funeral Box.  Each time I take any of it, I will record the date and how much and the total left. I don't plan on spending it, but leaving it there for any emergencies.   GEEZ!!!

I suppose now I will get phone calls from the girls telling me how much Aunt Susan gave me and how am I going to keep it hidden and what am I going to spend it on.

There isn't enough to buy a used car.  I am not going to go out on a spending spree.  I am not going to move to a different place.  I am not going to buy a new fur coat--or even a new wool coat.  I am not going to buy a new couch and recliner (although I sure need them).

AND--if I wanted to spend every last dime, it's none of their business!!!  I suppose if I did take out any more, my sister would call the kids and let them know.  So, once again, my life is being controlled!

IT'S NOT THAT MUCH MONEY, PEOPLE!!!!!  Relax! 

<I still don't know the total sales.  I still don't know what my sister's share was> 

I do not like how people, especially family treat me now that I am older!  





8 comments:

  1. Seems to me that your family is telling too many people that you've got cash in the house. And I don't blame you for feeling the way you do. I'll bet they changed their mind about keeping the money in their bank because of tax implications. If that amount put them over $10,000 total for the sale that went in their bank then the IRA would get notice of it. Either way, enjoy getting your new carpeting and fireplace. I can't wait to see the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheesh. Your family dynamics are not normal. After being hosed by your stepmother who kept your money but nothing in writing about how much was yours ... why would you want your sister (or anyone else, for that matter) keep YOUR money in THEIR account? Open up your own savings account. Get an ATM card and don't keep cash in your house. You can get cash when you go to Walmart if you don't want to go to the bank.

    It might also help with your credit record! Maybe I am out of line .. but IF you really want someone to "babysit" YOUR money, get a proper Promissory Note stating the amount and keep a copy in your special box.

    Sheesh! YOU are in charge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeez! I though your sister was supposed to be your ally! I would do what The Awkward Widow says and keep all of your money in your own account! I wonder why your sister is being that way?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you think that Jennifer will move back now since the husband's father rescinded the offer? That's crazy anyway you look at it.

    Maddie truly is something; that child has a heart of gold!

    Judy, I agree with you about the money, and I know how much you love your sister but goodness gracious yes you're not in your nineties. I guess I'm just too honest, I would have told my brother (and did when Mom passed) exactly how much. He never questioned me in any way, and that made me so proud of him.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. In our Father's Will it states that my sister will have control over all personal, farm equipment, antiques, etc will be sold. Then SHE is to share the results of those sales with me. I think because--I have not been the smartest with my money. I have had numerous men in my life who have "cleaned my clock" money-wise. I have been too trusting, lending money, helping out with money, told or expecting to be paid back, which I never was. Even as close as 4.5 years ago when I paid for Fred's funeral. My family thought HIS kids should have handled that, and so did I. They didn't have the money at the time. I had a dead body that needed being taken care of, a service held and a cremation to take place. They would pay me back. Which didn't happen. Although, I feel I am way passed that kind of being stupid sort of thing and won't even date, let alone get involved with a man or "lend" any money--that I don't have--my family may be trying to protect me from myself? LOL It's all okay if Susan has it safe for me. I just resent that she consulted my kids before she even told me what I was getting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry if I sounded harsh. You can have a gentle conversation with your sister that outlines YOUR portion of money in HER account ... should something ever happen. And remind her of the step mother incident. I don't think she would mind!

      Delete
  6. I don't like the way they (seem to) assume that you cannot handle your own affairs, but I do like the way they (seem to) act out of a sense of love and concern for you. You'll be able to handle yourself (and them) all the way through. The last time my husband visited his ailing mother, they had a conference one day about her financial affairs. She was pretty well off but the assets were distributed amongst many different vehicles. So Greg made some noises about hoping she knew where everything was, and boy, did that ever set her off. She was still sputtering about it (a little) the next (and last) time I ever saw her, a month later. God rest her soul. Enjoy your rewards, Judy, no matter how large or small. I'm glad you'll have your fireplace by the time snow flies. xoxo

    ReplyDelete