title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Computer Glitch. Right!

Have any of you tried those new Cool Touch, Kleenex?  I didn't even know I had purchased them.  When I opened up a new box, I reached in to grab a tissue and it felt kinda damp and very cool.  They are supposed to be cool.  How they do that, I have no clue, but they sure are nice in hot weather and I imagine they would be nice when you have a cold and the raw nose that goes with it.
============
I don't know if you remember, but a couple of weeks ago I got a letter from the Social Security Administration, stating: "The State of Michigan will no longer pay for your Medicare Part B insurance."  That meant a $104.00 cut out of my SS.  I didn't get too jacked out of shape because the State of Michigan raised my food allowance from $15.00 up to $65.00, so it would only be a "real" cut in my budget of $35.00.

I was curious as to why, so I did call my case worker. She never answers her phone, so I left a voice mail asking her to call me back---which she never did.

Then last Thursday, while visiting Pam, I told her about it and she called later to tell me she had heard on the News station that 12,000 low income Seniors had received the same notice and it was a computer glitch on the part of the State of Michigan Social Services(welfare).

Whenever the State changes our benefits, an e-mail is automatically generated to Social Security Admin.  Apparently some idiot, pushed the wrong button, causing the SSA to send us letters.

Of course, we all know the term "computer glitch" is a general cover-all term which actually means, P.E.B.C.A.C. = Problem Exists Between Chair and Computer.  Computers don't make mistakes.  People do!

Sure enough, yesterday I received another notice from the SSA stating:  "The State of Michigan WILL pay your Medicare Part B insurance."

Thankfully, in the past two years, I have been forced to practicing to not worry about things I have no control over, so the whole thing didn't even cause me 2 minutes of stress.
============
Now I know you won't believe this, but.......yesterday I didn't do any genealogy research all day!  

Tuesday, I mailed off the massive genealogy I had finally finished.  Plus it was my birthday and I was busy.  Yesterday, I guess I needed to rest my brain and get some stuff done around this house.  

I do not understand how so much clutter occurs in this house with only one person living here!  I have become very lax in picking things up and putting them away.  Laundry that I did Monday, still hangs from the pole in the laundry area or is laying, folded, on top of the dryer.  Two cases of protein drink that Karen gave me for my birthday, are still sitting on my kitchen counter.  Dirty dishes, two feet away from the dishwasher, still sit in my sink.  It is just ridiculous!!

So, I am off here and cleaning up what I didn't get done yesterday. I just wanted to let you know that my SS is going to remain the same, so my budget will remain the same with its normal shortfall of $50.00 each month.  I can live with that.  :-)

===========
Addendum:  Just got a notice from Social Services.  They have lowered my food assistance back to $15.00 a month.  Government work at its finest!  

12 comments:

  1. Hi Judy.....I am so happy to hear that your Part B WILL be paid by MI, as is only right. WHEW.
    Also, very HAPPY BIRTHDAY wishes to you. Although I have had to let blogging go along with many other things, I still do check in on great people like you and think of you often. Loved the photo of you with all your girls the other day. HAPPY. I will try to write a post soon. Being a Nana full-time is a HUGE job, but I love it.
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcia. I do miss your blog posts, but keep up with you on Face Book.

      Delete
  2. Well, you know how happy I am for you! I agree about "computer glitches". LOL

    Sick today with body aches, sore throat, etc. So I'll be resting while you work. Those new Kleenex sound like baby wipe. I keep some here, as well I should, but I use them also. :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh oh, Sal. I hear that sort of "flu" thingy is going around. Many friends on Face Book have it. Sorry.

      Delete
    2. Unbelievable! Think how much tax payer money it costs to send out letters about stuff that shouldn't have happened in the first place. But I'm glad your resource didn't get cut.

      I go through streaks where I don't put things away either. Usually, it's either because I'm too busy or I'm having a mild depression day.

      Delete
  3. Sorry, but $15 in food help is ridiculous! Three gallons of milk a month. UGH! CASE WORKER? Who can say they are are case worker if they do not even return a phone call. I'm angry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be angry. I don't drink 3 gallons of milk a month, so it's okay. LOL. Living this low income life has been a real eye-opener to me. At first it was very hard for me, I had always had enough or more money then I needed. My pride took a real hit and I didn't want anyone to know that I was getting any assistance. As I sat crying in shame because I had failed, across the desk from my first, very caring case worker, she told me that a lot of women who were divorced and without retirement funds or pensions were in the same place I was. She reassured me that all the work I had done, the income tax I had paid, was now here to help. I felt a bit better, but it still rankles that I HAVE to have assistance.

      Delete
    2. You did not fail, Judy. Please don't feel that way. I can't believe they cut back to $15.00 - that stinks!
      If I didn't have a pension, I'd be right where you are. But, you know even with it, sometimes it's rough going. I wish I hadn't needed to buy a car, but the thing had been driven almost 250,000 miles, and was falling apart! I hope this Kia works as well as the Toyota did for years. :)
      Love ya!!!

      Delete
  4. You stayed calm - - - I wonder how calm the other 11,999 seniors were when they got that notice. Your case worker must have been inundated. Nice that word got to you e.v.e.n.t.u.a.l.l.y.

    Know what you mean about clutter. I figure a messy house is a sign of an interesting life. What a milestone - your second massive genealogy. The recipient will be so tickled, just like me!

    I am so far behind what I told you I would do three weeks ago. I'm so sorry. Messy mind and messy house here. I am playing (socializing and bicycling) more. Hope you accomplish what you want to today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have learned to stay calm about things I can't control, which are most things in life. I have forgotten what you told me three weeks ago. :-) I'm sooooooooo glad you are socializing and bicycling!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  5. It would be comical if it wasn't so ridiculous! I guess you basically just wait and see what you actually get and ignore all the differing notices?

    ReplyDelete