title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Friday, June 24, 2016

Moving Fast

I'm on the trail again, with a new client, looking for her roots.  I spent 3 hours yesterday and today and am climbing up branches on her tree, like I'm a monkey in search of the best banana!  Back about 12 generations already.  

I find it amazing that many of my own ancestor's lived in the same area or even town as some of the other genealogies I have done.  My 2nd Great Grand Father was a shoe maker in Hannover, Germany.  I wonder if he made or repaired shoes belonging to my last client's ancestor's.  Then they all ended up in a little town in Jefferson County, New York.  They were farmers like my ancestor's who lived there too--in the same time period.

My new client's ancestor's came from Herfordshire, England, where my English ancestor's came from--same time period.  Wouldn't it be something if I found a marriage between one of my ancestor's and one of theirs?  YOWZA!!
========================
A calm morning and then all heck broke out!  A neighbor who lives two streets over and once worked as handy boy for me, is now a professional painter and he came over to give me an estimate.  I am canceling the guy who didn't seem to want to get back to me and couldn't even remember being here and giving me an estimate.

The neighbor guy wants to start tomorrow!!!  I had to run to Lowe's and get 4 gallons of paint.  Had it matched to what I used before and going to have the ceiling and walls the same color.  Sort of an off-white.  So I started scampering around to push all the furniture in the middle of the rooms, take down the curtains, everything off the walls--exhausted!!!

Then the delivery truck came with my new, unwanted, unneeded refrigerator.  The one kid came in and measured my fridge.  "Hm-mm.  The fridge we have for you is much smaller.  They are supposed to give you the same size."



I had a 21 cu ft' fridge, the new one is 18 cu ft'.  He told me to refuse it and they'd take it back.  

I declined.  It will be all right.

Then when they toted it in, I noticed that it opened on the left.  I needed one to open on the right.  Which the lady at OLSHA assured me it would...I asked twice to make sure.

"By code, it has to open on the opposite side from your stove."

"What?  I rarely use that stove."

So, there it sits, all shiny and new and opens on the left side and my microwave and cooking area is on the right.
Plus it's lower and I have to bend way down to get to the vegetable bins and probably bang the top of my head every time I do!


I am not very happy with the government telling me I HAD to get a new fridge.  Mine was perfectly fine.  Yes--it was nearly 20 years old, but it ran great.

I am ticked-off!  Plus, it has no ice maker.

I'm sorry.  I sound like an ungrateful b**ch!

After I cooled down a bit, I figured out I can get my painter guy to reverse the hinges/handles.  I did that once on a new fridge I bought, so....if I can do it, he should be able too.  

Plus, I bought a GFR outlet plug while I was at Lowe's and going to have him put that in to the outlet that goes behind my eventual media center/electric fireplace.  The electric heater used in those things can over heat and the plug catch fire.  I probably will NEVER use the heater part, but just in case, I need a GFR plug that would shut off the electrical current.

Hoping to get to Lowe's and get my carpet ordered next week and get it laid while all my stuff is out of the living room.  Then get up to Art Van or order on-line my media center/fireplace.

My house looks like I am either moving out or moving in.  I don't know which may I am moving--just onward and upward--ever forward!!! 

13 comments:

  1. My head's spinning with all that is happening at your house. I do hope your painter can reverse the hinges - should be able to, maybe the hinges themselves can be flipped?

    The genealogy goes on. Tee Hee. Wouldn't it be neat to discover how many of us are related?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think no ice maker would give me a feeling of aggravation! I know ice trays work, but I've never been able to get them there without spilling half on the floor!
    Hooray for the government once again!(Not!)
    I'd love to get my living room, (whole house!), painted and carpeted---but, I don't see much chance of it happening! Our 50th anniversary is June 30th, and the carpet's probably 40 years old! I love my husband, but I sometimes think women may be able to do more without a man---if he's a hinderer, or just lazy! :(
    Still, I have a house to live in, and my husband, so I'm thankful for it!
    Can't wait to see your "new living space."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, can't they re-route your ice maker? We don't have one here, first time in years. :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! ANOTHER genealogy?? Astounding. Your new plans for your old digs are happening! Takes lots of photos so we can feel like we are right there with you!

    I would be sad without an icemaker. Maybe you will get in the habit of making ice morning, noon and night ... and store it in a Ziplock bag for all those Diet Pepsi!!!

    Onward and upward for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exciting things happening at your house! I think all refrigerators and clothes dryers are made with reversible hinges. Shouldn't be a problem. I'm the odd person out here because I'd not like to having an ice maker. Just one more thing to go wrong or leak. I have ice cube trays and they work as good as they've always worked only better because the rubber ones can pop out one at a time. A refrigerator as old as yours costs a lot more to run than newer ones. I can see why the state wants yours updated, if they are helping to pay your bills.

    By the way, I read in someone elses blog that they make countertop ice makers if you just can't live without one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's all going to look so nice when it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had the ice maker shut off for the last three months. The water hose that went to it was leaking down by the connection . I have two ice trays so not a problem. Plus, I put my Diet Pepsi Tervis cup in the freezer when I go to bed and what is left in it freezes into a nice big Diet Pepsi ice chunk that lasts almost all day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's so difficult to be in disarray, it is the hardest thing for me.....i am terrible at it!! maybe you can get yourself absorbed in your genealogy work, but it seems you are very involved/hands on with the work in your home!! i have never had an ice maker in my frig, but i guess if you get use to having one, you really miss it!!

    good luck, i look forward to after pics!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Your house is a busy place. I'm sure he can change the way the fridge doors open. I can see why you would want it that way. Everything will all come together and you'll love it. There's nothing like freshly painted walls.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. that's a relief....would hate to think my ancestors were doing the hokey pokey at such a young age.....;)

      Delete
  11. Our house is torn up too so I'm simpatico. It will be worth it, though. I wish the government would just butt out. xoxo

    ReplyDelete