title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Sunday, November 1, 2015

All Saints Day

I am probably the only one in this group that is not a fan of Halloween!  Not only am I not a fan, I truly dislike it.

Of course, my neighbors the Wiccans, say they love it--were even married on Halloween--in a cemetery no less--2 years ago.  What I have noticed, their porch light is NEVER on, Halloween evening/night.  They love Halloween, but they don't like little Trick or Treaters?

This neighbor, I will call her Tami, because she insists everyone call her Tamara, has started proudly wearing a Pentagram necklace.  She is now on Face Book, ranting and raving and complaining that her supervisor and people at work who used to like her, don't seem to like her as much and treat her differently because of the necklace.

She is one of those people that, when she gets something into her head, especially something controversial, she makes a HUGE deal about it.  Shoves it in people's faces.  Preaches at them about her new belief system or her new enlightenment or--whatever.  I remember three years ago when she was going to the Seventh Day Adventist church, she informed me that I was going to church on the wrong day.  That everyone knew that God said to rest on the seventh day--to keep the Sabbath day holy.

She is also the kind of person who firmly states that she doesn't care what anyone thinks about or says about her.  So, I asked, "Why does this bother you?"

"Because they were nice to me and now they're not!  This necklace doesn't define who I am."

"Sure it does.  Perception is everything.  People will perceive the kind of person you are by what you wear, how clean you are, the way you talk.  You have a blue cast on your arm with a big yellow M.  People see that and know you are a Michigan fan.  If you wear a message T-shirt from the Humane Society, they know you like animals.  You wear a Pentagram necklace, and they know you are a witch."

"Well, I'd just like to explain to her what being a Wiccan means."

"Why?"

"So she would understand."

"She doesn't want to understand,  She isn't interested...any more than you are when your Baptist brother tells you that you are a pagan heathen and going to Hell."

"I don't like being judged."

"You said you didn't care what they thought or said about you."

"But---it just isn't right!"

"Reality check, Tami.  Correct or not--right or wrong--such is life.  She probably thinks you boil frogs in a cauldron.  You wear the necklace because you want people to ask what it is so you can promote your new belief.  If you don't like their perception, then don't wear the necklace.  If you don't care what they think, then wear it and go along with your life.  Or wear a cross necklace with it and really confuse them."
========================
I like today better.  All Saints Day.  A day of prayer for all the Saints who are in Heaven.  Not to be confused with All Soul's Day (tomorrow) a day of prayer for those who have died and not yet reached Heaven.  I suppose those would be the souls in Purgatory?

Actually, I know very little about any of this and I don't believe in Purgatory and I don't pray for people who have died.  I always thought you had your choice to make before your last breath and no amount of people praying afterwards was going to change that.

I guess I would instead prefer to think of all the people I know who have died in the last year and pray for their families to find comfort and peace.

Hm-mm, perhaps I have just invented a new religious day?  What can I call it?
========================
I decided that instead of crocheting or knitting on Chris' projects today, I would cross stitch--and I did, for about half an hour.  I guess I just can't stay away from the knitting and crochet!!

I also worked on printing out more pages for my genealogy book--it appears now my sister and her son would like one, so that means 7 instead of the 5.  The special paper I use from Staples is very costly--39.99 for a box of 150 sheets.  I know that at one time I only paid $20.00 and I told the people at Staples, but they said that wasn't the correct price.  So today, I just happened to be on-line at Staples and guess what?  $20.00 a box through November 14th.  I ordered two boxes and am quite proud of myself.  Why did I go look on-line?  I have no idea.  Just messing around and there it was.  Obviously a God Whisper!!
========================
Today is also my best friend Arlene's birthday.  She would have been 76 today--gone 3.5 years.  It's difficult for me to describe our relationship.  We met on the first day of Kindergarten.  Close, like a sister?  Nope.  Closer than that.  It's like she was part of me--she knew what I was going to say before I said it.  Soul Mate?  I guess.   That's why, since she died, I just can't get over the emptiness I feel.  It's like I am missing part of myself.  A chunk of my heart or a limb or---something.  Truth be told, I think of her more often than I do Fred--or my Mother--or my grandma.  I keep feeling like if I just wait a tiny bit more, she will call on the phone or I will see her driving up to my house.


(My goodness.  I sure was fat three years ago.  Look at my chubby face!  That was the day before she died.)

10 comments:

  1. As for Halloween, I don't remember ever going trick or treating. I think I have mental blocks about the first few years. I did take my little brother though, but those were different times than what we live in now.

    I miss my best friend also, Judy; she passed away in 2002 and I still think of her a lot.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like Halloween either, especially when people wear full masks. You have Tami pegged right. She likes the attention that claiming to be a Wiccan brings her. She gets what she deserves in my opinion. If she doesn't understand that it's controversial she's really stupid. I could never warm up to someone who likes the dark side more than the light side even if they claim Wiccans aren't like that in this century. Fine, then call it something else! She's waving a red flag in front of a bull to wear that necklace.

    I have a friend I went all they way through school together with and I understand how you were closer to Arlene than others in your life...soul mate close. I can't imagine how big the hole is in your life her and Fred both dying so close together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "bull" happens to be her supervisor at work.

      Delete
  3. I truly despise Halloween. The extent of my participation is to fire up a tealight in a cute little ceramic jack-o-lantern I've had for years. I don't believe in praying for the dead either, but I do believe in remembering folks who are gone. As you know I do like to visit cemeteries, because many of them are beautiful and I enjoy thinking about what people's lives might have been. Your words to Tami were wise and true, and she should take heed. I think it's interesting that you mention the loss of your dear friend. Sylvia, a lovely precious lady at my church, told me today that her best friend just died this week, and this friend lived far away. The look on Sylvia's face as she told me this just broke my heart. "So many of my friends have died in recent years," she said, and I could see she was feeling bereft. We need to be faithful to pray for one another, and to say kind things and do nice things while there is still time. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your writing Jenny. Sylvia reminds me of me. So many friends have died, which of course happens as we age. At least Arlene and I lived close by all those years, we were lucky to be able to do so many things together--our two families.

      Delete
  4. Best friends are hard to come by. Can't really have many because it is a life commitment! A few great friends are just what everyone needs.

    I love any holiday. I just don't look at ANY of them as religious events. I'm just a Hallmark kind of girl. Love to decorate, cook for the occasion, dress up for parties AND enjoy. Love the trick or treaters (little ones who dress up ... some parents are so creative).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite costume? We were a couple from the Titanic. He had white tails and a broken oar and a white inner tube that said SS Titantic. I was dress to the nines with a real mink stole ... with seaweed and fish attached everywhere. With a martini glass in my hand!

      Delete
    2. J.B., I would love to see a photo of that!! How fun!

      Delete
  5. Judy, you look so much healthier now. You go, girl!

    I couldn't imagine wearing a Pentagram, and thinking no one would notice or comment.

    I'm one of those who enjoys Halloween. I don't have to cook or buy presents, just a little candy, and the little ones are so cute in their costumes. We only got one older kid this year. There should be a cut-off point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back in the day, when my kids were young. 12 years old seemed to be the cut-off point.

      Delete