title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

The agony and the.................No. No ecstasy

No arson took place yesterday, you will be glad to know.

Up to the Cartridge World at the crack of 10:00.  Swapped out the bad Tri-Color inkjet for a new one.  Stopped at the print shop to drop off pedigrees for them to copy onto nice long paper.

Put the new inkjet in and printed out the photos on scrap paper and the Navy blue clothes were indeed, Navy blue.  Loaded in the expensive, special paper and..............success.  The last page done.  The book completed.  Now to get the pedigrees back from the print shop and inserted in the book, back to the print shop to get the book bound and off into the mail.

It was around 1:00 when I happened to look at my calendar and noticed I had an appointment at the physical therapy place at 4:00--in Brighton.  ARGGH!!! If I had only remembered, I could have made a trip to the Cartridge World AND PT at the same time.  One trip.
====================
My visit to the Physical Therapy place was just for an evaluation.  I turned in all the paper work you have to do for those places and then a therapist came and got me and we walked back to a little room.  She just wanted to look at me--how I stand and sit and walk.  No big deal.

Ah Hah!  An hour later, after she had pressed and pulled and maneuvered every sore spot on my upper body and created more sore areas, I finally called "Uncle" and she stopped.  Good Grief!

The sorest spot--the muscle under my scapula (wing bone), which hadn't been really sore in weeks, was now inflammed and marching to a pain that came with every pulse beat.  

"You're a mess!"  she proclaimed.  "Why have you waited so long?"

When I could once again breathe, I said, "I have been intending to get physical therapy for the last two years, but..........................."

"Well--you have waited so long it's going to take longer to get you back into shape!"

"Sorry."  

I haven't been scolded like that since I was twelve.

"Your shoulder is practically frozen.  Your C2 and C3 are practically welded together.  That's the reason you can't turn your head and the reason for the numbness in your left arm and hand.  Your shoulders are sitting up by your ears.  Your left shoulder is higher than your right shoulder and becoming humped.  When you walk, you walk with your head jutted forward."

Now, this young thing is small.  Thin as a rail and delicate looking.



She had hands with the strength of Brunhilde!  When she put her thumbs into that muscle in my back, I expected it to come out through my chest.  



"You need to start exercising.  I'd like to see you start swimming."

"I don't know how."

"Water aerobics then."

"I don't have a swim suit."

"You can buy one for twenty dollars at Meijers."

"Not one that will hold up these ta-tas.  The last one I bought was a hundred and twenty."

"Join a gym and lift weights and exercise your upper body."

"I can't afford that."

As she ushered me to the door she added, "Oh, since you are on a blood thinner....you may have bruising on your back.  Don't worry about it.  See you on Wednesday."
======================
I have had physical therapy and chiropractic therapy on my upper and lower back several times in the last twenty years.  I had PT before and after both of my hip surgeries.  I have never hurt as much as I did when I stumbled out of there yesterday.

To tell you the truth, I don't remember what I ate for supper or what I watched on TV last night, but I do remember looking at the clock when I fell into bed at 9:00 last night!   9:00?

See ya on Wednesday.

8 comments:

  1. I just started a class at the YMCA that includes a lot of that weight lifting and upper body straightening your PT wants you to do. It actually felt good to stretch those muscles. I write about it in my next blog. I'll bet your PT and design you an at home program using stretch bands that will help some.

    Get a bathing suit! No one cares what you look like in a pool, no one really sees but other old ladies if you do the day classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Judy for this blog. Now I won't feel like a wimp going for PT at the first sign of something rather than toughing it out. Fix it before it is completely broken. Ralph got the same lecture when he hurt his shoulder ... had to do rotator cuff surgery instead of PT.

    Look online for swim suit. Tankinis you can buy top and bottom separately!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh mercy! Wellllll, that's a real push, to go get the PT, when a doc suggests it.

    I've heard about things like, joints being "frozen" and etc. And my chiropractor showed me how to move my shoulders, forward and back... To get 'em "down off my ears". ,-)

    It's amazing! Any time of the day... If we stop and notice our shoulders, bet they will be UP. Not gooood.

    And about going to a gym, for upper body strength... Go to your library and take out some "upper body exercises for seniors" cd's. They will tell you what gentle weights to buy. Or, use soup cans etc.

    Bet your PT person will show you stuff to do, with those plastic "ribbons" and send you home, with them. No purchase necessary. Mine did.

    Hope this PT gets you moving!!! Stretching is wonnnderful. If only I did as much, as I should!!!<---Yeah, don't do as I do, do as I say" :-(((

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one understands. They have been coming to my home
    through insurance for 6 weeks and today last day.
    Wait until you reach 80 and carrying a cane...

    ReplyDelete
  5. hehehehe, she had an answer for everything. i hate peeps like that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got a therapeutic massage at work a few months ago because my shoulder/neck was pretty tight and painful. I'll tell you it hurt like he** and I was very sore for a few days! Once the sore went away it felt much better than before though, so it was worth it! But, ouch!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad your blue clothes are blue now. Whew!
    I did a little something to my back last week lifting very light weights. Talk about wimpy. It's better now. Thank goodness it improved on its own after I took a few days off. I hope you feel better soon, too, but it sounds like it's going to be awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how I despise being poked and prodded. Or for that matter, being touched or even looked at by anyone in the medical profession. *sigh* xoxo

    ReplyDelete