title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Social Interactions

My poor physical therapist!!  I think she thinks I may be a lost cause.  On our first meeting Monday, which I thought was only to fill up paperwork and do a evaluation on what I needed, but instead turned into an hour long torture session, must find me quite anti-social.

I hadn't worn my glasses so she had to answer the questions for me.  Put a little "x" in the box of yes or no.

"Do you exercise?"    NO.   "Okay, no need to ask you how much or how many times a week."
"Do you walk every day?"  NO.  "Okay, no need to ask you how far you walk."
"Do you belong to any social clubs?"  NO.  "Okay."
"Do you attend functions at a senior center?"  NO.  "All right."
"Do you go out to eat frequently?"  NO
"Do you go to movies?"  NO.
"Do you attend church regularly?"  NO.
"Do you visit with family members at least once a week?"  NO.

Then she looked at me.  "What DO you do?"

"Lots of things.  I'm always busy.  I cross stitch.  I spend a lot of time on my computer.  I love to garden.  I crochet and knit.  I do housework and laundry."

"Do you cook?"  Not if I can help it.
"Is there someone who would come into your home and assist you if you needed it?"  NO.

That's when she got it into her head that I should join a water aerobics class or a fitness center.  "It would get you out and you could socialize with people."

"That is the last thing I want to do!"

She looked at me again.  Then she started working on me and I said...................

"Okay--let me tell you my story.  For some 30 years I was involved in everything.  Starting with being a room mother, the PTA president.  The secretary for the Little League baseball team and the official scorer, where I was at the baseball field three nights a week.  Saturday nights I was also there because my Dad was a softball coach and I was his assistant and scorekeeper.

I organized a woman's golf league with two flights and 80 players and was scorekeeper and secretary of that.  I planned all the tournaments and events.  

I sang in the church choir every Sunday, I taught Bible School in the summers.  I took my kids to piano lessons, Flute lessons, swimming lessons, dance lessons.  I was an assistant Troop leader for the Girl Scouts.  One year, my house was where all the  cookies were delivered.

When my kids were in high school, I was a Band Booster parent and worked at the Friday night fish fry suppers.  I was on the curriculum committee and was a driving force to have computers put into the school in the early 1980's.  I had three men on that committee that thought computers were not needed.  They didn't need them when they were in school, neither did their kids.  I had to convince them.

Our barn was where my daughter's class met every October to build their homecoming float.  I made several hundred tissue paper flowers.  I made all the skirts and blouses for the flag girls, the first year the marching band promoted flag girls.

I baked cakes and cookies for every cake walk or cookie sale or bake sale my kids classes had.  I organized and recruited workers for the annual school fun/game night and festival.  I organized and recruited other women to have a book sale from the school library.

Then, when I went to work, I was the bosses private secretary--or he thought of me that way.  I had to pick up his dry cleaning, go out and get his lunch and take his car to be washed.  When his wife turned forty, he was out of town, so I had to plan her surprise party, the catering, the venue, the decorations.  I made all the travel plans and airline and hotel reservations.  

I put out a monthly newsletter and I planned and coordinate the annual company Christmas party and the annual company picnic for three hundred people.  I organized and made all the booklets for the annual business meeting, made all travel arrangements for the different managers and set up the room where the conference was to be held."

"Oh."

"I have done enough socializing in those thirty years to last me the rest of my life.  Now, I like one-on-one visits--that last an hour or less.  The world is too noisy for me and I am very content to be in my home, doing what I want to do and not being scheduled up to my ears in stuff I HAVE to do."
============================
  So today, when I went in for my hour long PT, she merely asked me how I was doing and if I was in any pain.  Then as she worked on me, she told me her life story.  She is one of those modern working mother's that thinks she can do it all and have it all.  I feel kind of sorry for her.

11 comments:

  1. It made me tired just reading everything you've done in your life. Women of our generation are amazing! We did so much volunteering, got very little credit for contributing to society. No doubt you were a great roll model to a lot of kids. I'm glad you let your PT in on your life story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I hate it that young people in the medical community are judging our mental health and well being by how active we are or aren't outside of the home. You interact with genealogy clients and here in the blog community but I doubt they would understand that those things can give up plenty of social interaction!

      Delete
    2. It seems to be a big deal lately. They also ask about elder abuse too. Was I a victim of. Did I feel safe in my home. Were there any members in the home that I was afraid of. Every time I go for a new test or a new doc, I have to answer these questions.

      Delete
  2. What is a Physical Therapist doing, asking those questions???? Well, maybe the exercise part. That could have to do, with what she will be doing for you.

    But all the other questions?!?! &*((&&%$$%^^ It's a wonder she didn't ask you, how many times a week, you were having sex!!!!!!!!

    Bahhh humbug on what *professionals,* think they have a right to ask us!!!

    Doctors in FL can now ask patients if they own a gun. And have denied care, and getting people help, if they answered yes. What business is it, of a man, who is only supposed to put his stethoscope to your heart?? Not into your gun closet???!!!!!!

    And to top it off, she asks you "Well, what do you do?" Again.... &((&^&$%%^ How dare she????? How dare she???? It is none, none, none of her business!!!!!!!

    Wow, you set me off, with this post! I am sitting here, banging my head on my desk. At the audaciousness of this PT.

    And I can't figure out, how you let her get away with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These were questions on the paperwork for their office. I have had the same "survey" done at my docs office. And yes there was a sex question. I told her, "N.A."--not applicable! She got a laugh over that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I guess that told her. I know just what you mean. I'm not nearly as social as I once was, but I'm pretty content with exactly what I do. Medical folks kill me with those questions they ask to evaluate our mental health. They think that tells the story. You're busy all the time and you have neighbors who drop in. It isn't like you live on an island. You just like your alone time. I'm the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're on the same page 'cause when I've had others suggesting I volunteer, I can honestly say I really welcome not having a life filled with commitments finally. Kinda nice doing what I want to do, or not, when I want. But I must tell you as a therapist (Speech-Language) I was best able to help my patients if I understood their life style, attitudes, and what kind of life they expected or wanted to live as that influenced the approach to intervention and knowing how realistic it might be they would seriously incorporate into their daily life what I was showing them they needed to do -- after therapy ended. Therapists don't "fix people" contrary to what a lot of patients think, and often want, or become dissatisfied they didn't get. What matters is how well the patient incorporates into their daily life -- working toward 24/7 -- what they need to do, maybe changes they need to make to achieve what they want and what is realistically healthy for them. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, meant to add -- what did you do in your spare time all those years you described??? *grin*

      Delete
    2. Took care of a 9 room house, a large yard and garden, 4 kids and one lazy husband. ;-)

      Delete
  6. Good for you! Although I don't know why you say "she thinks she can have it all". We all did that while our kids were living at home! WE DID IT ALL! So yes, I totally agree on why it is now easy for me to say no. Without any excuses.

    I'm kinda glad medical professionals ASK that stuff (no one has asked me yet!!). There are some people who COULD benefit from interacting with people, even just a phone call once a week. Especially once they retire from driving. The whole world changes then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I stayed home to rear our four children, and I made up a great job to do from there. A paying job. Neither my children nor my grandchildren have ever seen the inside of a daycare, and if I have breath in my body, they never will. That doesn't mean I raise them for their parents; it means I taught their parents that if you're going to have kids, you need to commit to rearing your own kids. Just do whatever it takes. I won't budge on this. xoxo

    ReplyDelete