title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Friday, February 24, 2017

I can never think of a title for my posts, so.............................whatever.

I decided it was time for me to put away my prideful nature for a bit and go back to the food pantry.  I haven't been since June.

Yesterday I went shopping for food,  I wanted to buy a roast so I could Crock-Pot it and have vegetables and the whole ball of wax.  Have you priced a cut of roast lately?

When I got home, I called Gleaners and got an appointment for this morning.  I found a nice frozen hunk of Choice roast beef.  The price on it was $18.50!! I also stocked up on diced tomatoes (for my spaghetti sauce), found a nice small cake from Meijers--which when I bought last month was $4.00.  Also a big bag of frozen vegetables--carrots, onions, celery--which will be great with my roast.  Also some King Hawaiian rolls.  John gave me some last fall--I had never had them before.  Oh my!  Delish!

Anyway, I am allowed 60# of food and I rarely get over #24.  Today I got #30.  I only take what I am going to need for a month.  There are so many that are worse off than I am, so if there are 20 bottles of water, I will take 5.  15 cans of cat food, I took 4.  Also got a can of Salmon, a dozen eggs and crackers to make Salmon patties.  

When I got home, I kept half the eggs and Hawaiian sweet rolls and took the rest up to Merle and Pearl's.  I wouldn't use a dozen eggs in 3 months.

Actually it felt kind of good to go back and see a couple friends who work there and when I got home, it was nice to tote in that extra food.  If any of you contribute to food drives and the like, thank you.  It is very helpful for us poor people.  
======================
I also had to drive on up to the print shop.  I took my pedigrees in Monday.  I hadn't heard a thing, so I called them yesterday and they said the copier that they use for the long, landscape paper had broken down.  I asked them to call when they got my copies done--no rush, no problem.

They called early this morning.  I think what really happened--they were kind of busy Monday and I think they put my order off to the side and just forgot about it.  HAH!  Oh well.  I have the pedigree pull-outs in the genealogy book and ready to take it in to be bound on Monday.  It turned out really nice and a pretty thick one.  Lots of information.

I often think that someday--in the way far distant future, a person will run across one of my books that his great grandmother had me do and get information and enjoyment out of it.  That would be wonderful.  I think these genealogy books could become family heirlooms and treasures.  Not because of me, I am only the go-between, but for the interest of their family background.  
======================
Unusual weather today.  Very warm, with severe thunderstorm watches and warnings, followed by a cold front tonight and some snow this weekend.  

Enjoy your weekend, whatever the weather.
===============
4 months old today.




24 comments:

  1. I love Hawaiian Sweet rolls! I get them often, the small four packs when available. I like boiled eggs and egg salad, so I can use a dozen eggs up before they're not too far pass expiring. They are good sliced on salads, too.

    You are right about the family history books you compile. It's hard to imagine them not being around in a 100 years. It's nice to know something you've created has a chance of lasting that long, like your crib blankets, too. Though those get damaged quicker and fall by the wayside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If any of those books are around in 100 years, that descendant will be even more fascinated on how his ancestor's lived then we are. They won't understand how one person could own so much land and only use it for growing grain and not have 17 houses per acre built on it. LOL And they certainly will be shocked at the number of children their ancestor's had, when the law in 2117 is 2 children max.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful baby. I think I've made my last attempt at cooking beef. Bought and expensive roast recently but it was not good. Cooked cutlets the other day and was disappointed in them. I'll just eat beef when I'm away from home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sear mine first on both sides with a tiny bit of flour, paprika, salt and pepper, then crock-pot it four hours then add the veggies. It always seems to come out nice and tender with good flavor.

      Delete
  3. I know you don't care for eggs, but now that we try to watch the carbs, we find ourselves eating more eggs. I love to make a small (1 whole egg & 1 egg white ) omelet. My grands love deviled eggs.

    I bet people will love your books in the future. Do you put your name on them. It would be neat for them to know who compiled them.

    Precious! She's getting big.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I needed one egg to make Salmon patties, but some night for supper, I will scramble the other ones and put mustard on them so I can stomach them. I need the protein. Isn't it strange? I fought the weight for many years and now, I can't seem to eat enough to keep it on. Such is life, Eh?

      Delete
  4. We love our books! Judy, like you I believe that somewhere down the line someone will enjoy reading about their ancestors!

    The baby? Now, that is one gorgeous little girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't she something. She is rolling over and sitting up--things she isn't suppose to do until she is 6 months old. I predict she will be walking by 9-10 months. She is so observant of everything that goes on around her. Bright, as bright can be.

      Delete
  5. OHHHHHHHH, what an adorable baby!!!!

    Look at those precious little baby-fat rolls. Oh mercy, that age is so, so, so, so cute. :-))))))))))))))

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love crock pot meals. Especially since they always make more than one meal. Leftovers rock!!!!!!!

    Oh no!!!! You don't give a name, to your blog entries!!! Oh no! You might be "drummed out" of Blog Land!!!!! LOLLLLLL

    You don't need a title. Your blog is so much fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and my supper turned out to be soooooooo tasty!!

      Delete
  7. Another comment??? Yes! I forgot about the genealogy books.

    They certainly ought to be treasured family items!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've pretty much decided to stop eating eggs. I can hardly stomach them anymore for some reason. I will occasionally eat egg salad though because I still like that! Your great granddaughter is soooo cute! I can't wait for Maxwell to get a little more aware and be able to interact with us a little!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lay him on your lap--so all he has to look at is you. Then talk to him or coo, or click your tongue. That will get him centered on Grandma. :-)

      Delete
  9. Oh my, that baby is a beauty.
    I always buy those rolls when family visits
    Also, tomorrow I am making salmon patties, enough for me
    for 2 days with small can :)
    I want to make a book out of my blog posts
    as may not keep writing. Want for grandchildren - any ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can get a blog-book printed from blogspot, but I don't know how. Let me check around and find out.

      Delete
  10. It strange how different food pantry, food Cabinet, or food bank works.
    At our local one we can go in weekly and pick up different items. One never know what one offers sometime there a wide variety of foods.
    But 3 times a year one can pick up a food box...depending on size of your family is what size of box on will get.

    Beef is horrible pricey here. Had chicken tonight for dinner. It on sale for sixty eight cent a pound.

    One thing nice here is the food truck that comes four times a year. And they give out quite a bit of good food.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go once a month. The food comes from the local big grocery stores. The meats are frozen because they are given to the food bank on the "sell by" date. There are always lots of canned goods provided by the government surplus program. Iam allowed 2 meats, 2 canned meats, the rest is unrestricted. It goes by weight. It has been a true blessing to me.

      Delete
  11. "Whatever" is a good title for a blog post! Salmon Patties -- love 'em! Always a treat, beginning when I was young and my Mom made them. I gradually got away from eating red meat years ago and rarely have any now! Coincidentally, my son who lived far away, was doing the same thing. When we compared reactions, we noted we both had felt a significant lightness internally, for lack of a better way to describe it. Get all my protein from other foods -- lots of chicken I've enjoyed all my life, fish 2 or 3 times a week, lentils, beans, various egg stuff keeps me going.

    About those genealogy books -- they're great! I know they're going to be treasured by family members in the future. The ones who have them now truly appreciate them. You really do an exceptional job researching all this information and make a most attractive, readable book. Quote me if you need a testimonial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eggs are hard for me to "get down". I think it comes from having the chore of gathering the eggs daily, from under peckish hens, then having to clean the chicken poop off them and get them ready for the egg man to pick up. YUCK!! I feel the same way about chicken--I can barely eat it. Can't abide fish either, unless it is tuna in a salad or salmon in the patties. Never eat Pork unless it is ham or sausage/bacon, but I do like beef. Just don't eat it very much anymore because of the price. I could live on salads and fruit however.

      Delete
    2. Interesting our different reactions to chicken and eggs since, I, too, had a number of years when young where we raised chickens, cleaned and sold pullets and hens, gathered their eggs and sold them. Sunday was always chicken and the way Mom cooked it, the meat just fell off the bone -- none of the batter coating I still don't care for. Deviled eggs a delight still. Those years -- our fish were fresh water that Pop and I caught. Canned salmon/tuna was the treat and I still like both of them.

      Delete
    3. Interesting our different reactions to chicken and eggs since, I, too, had a number of years when young where we raised chickens, cleaned and sold pullets and hens, gathered their eggs and sold them. Sunday was always chicken and the way Mom cooked it, the meat just fell off the bone -- none of the batter coating I still don't care for. Deviled eggs a delight still. Those years -- our fish were fresh water that Pop and I caught. Canned salmon/tuna was the treat and I still like both of them.

      Delete
  12. i LOVE egg salad with bacon, have you ever tried that?? or deviled eggs with bacon?? both are favorites around here. we also like french toast, there is a french toast in a mug recipe on pinterest you might like!!!

    your great granddaughter is adorable, she really is cute (sometimes you just have to say that but she really is) i think she is interested in traveling to south america!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. She's positively darling!! I love her cheeks! I'm so glad you can utilize the food pantry. You worked for most of your adult life. Use all the resources available to you. That is why they are there.

    ReplyDelete