title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Friday, May 27, 2016

Treasures, Traffic, Tolerance

One of the things I snagged from the estate sale, was a Castor Cruet set.  My sister had two.  One with colored glass--pink, light blue, green, red & cobalt blue cruets and this one, which is just pressed glass.  She didn't want this one, so I took it.

I remember this one sat on my great grandparents dining table every day.  The pretty one sat on the side bar/buffet purely for decoration.

Pewter frame with salt & pepper shakers, oil & vinegar cruets and mustard pot with little spoon.







I had good intentions to drain the water heater today, but it is still hot and humid outside and I didn't want to have the back door slightly open for the hose to go outside.  Instead, I stayed mostly inside, with the A/C and vacuumed and cleaned and worked on genealogy.

I spent a few hours, chasing ghosts!  My client had mentioned that she wondered if a certain ancestor had come from Scotland.  The surname certainly was the same, but absolutely no relationship to her family from Ireland.  Then I went on a deeper search and, amazingly, I found a "letter" written by one of the modern day kin, some 11th, fourth cousin, on her mothers side, who just happened to be searching for the same ancestor!!  He had actually been to Scotland, thinking he was hunting dead ancestor's and in  his quest, found they were not related in any way shape or form to the Ireland ancestor's.

How can this be?  Doesn't a surname start out in some ancient generation and remain the same with the spreading out of descendants after descendants?  

 I don't know.  It is another mystery.  I suppose if we hired a professional genealogist, which can run into the thousands and thousands of dollars for his traveling and searching, we might be able to find a record of the very first   man with our surname.  If records had been better kept and some of those files weren't marked "Private" like some I have run into.

It is exasperating.  I want to do the best I can for my clients.  Sometimes I CAN get back 25 or more generations.  Sometimes, there seem to be more Dead Ends after a few generations.
===================
I got a call from Walmart.  My prescription was ready.  I am all out of the pills, so I had to traverse up there and pick it up.  There was so much traffic on the road in front of my park that it took me a long time to get out, cross three lanes and get into the one headed West.

I wondered why there were semi-trucks on the road. Motor homes.  Fifth wheel campers,

I took me 30 minutes to travel 2.5 miles.  Apparently a semi had caught fire on the expressway that comes from Detroit and goes west across our state.  Two other accidents.  So bad, the Police detoured traffic from 3 miles east of Brighton, passed my park and on 2.6 miles to the next interchange, just past the Walmart store.

Coming home was a piece of cake, but at some places on the west bound side, traffic was backed up and sitting still for more than a mile.

Happy Memorial Day Weekend traffic!
=======================
Dar stopped in this evening--at my supper time, of course.  She is rattled more than I've ever seen her.  Still not recovered from a simple fender-bender she had, so she can't work and has to stay in her house with her son and grand kids.  She signed up for Disability Insurance through her work, but it doesn't cover car accidents, so she is getting no money!  Her car Insurance just went up $80.00 even though she wasn't at fault in the accident.  They do that in a "No Fault" State.  She filed a claim to repair her car--thus HER insurance went up.

Her arms are numb from her neck down so she has to have an EMG.  She asked if I had ever had one and I said "yes."

"What's it like?" she asked.

"They put needles. connected with wires to a machine, in different parts of your arm and by your neck, then put electric pulses through the needles to see which of your nerves is causing the numbness."

"WHAT?"

"They have to see which nerves are damaged before they can treat that area."

"Doesn't it hurt?"

"You always tell me you have a high tolerance to pain....so...you should be okay."

I DID NOT tell her it was probably the most painful test I have ever had--short of a spinal tap, which I have never had!  I DID NOT tell her that when I had my EMG, the lady leaving the office just before me was crying from the pain.

You know how hysterical she gets--for any test?  She is just going to love an EMG.  June 2nd.  
==================


Have fun this weekend.  Be careful.  Be safe.  Remember our fallen Vets.  




12 comments:

  1. I lusted after a press glass cruet set like yours for several decades but could never find one with the the parts. My sister-in-law had one that was passed down through the family and I had it re-silvered for her one year. There must be a lot of memories tied in with something that sat on your greast-grandparent's table.

    I've had an EMG test and didn't think it was so bad...not pleasant but bearable. I can't believe Dar signed up for disability insurance already and she doesn't even know what's wrong yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her disability insurance was insurance through Meijer's. In case something happened and she couldn't work, she'd get 70% of her pay each week. Unfortunately, it doesn't cover car accidents. Also, she won't get sick pay because she didn't get hurt at work. Right now, her son is handling all the house expenses--and yet, she wants him gone and gone NOW!

      Delete
  2. Your clients must feel satisfied that you have turned over every rock. If an ancestor is to be found, you would have found him, short of time-travel.

    What a beautiful cruet set. It looks like all the pieces sat deep in the glass housing. Never seen that before. I wonder what your great grandparents would make of our throw away culture.

    I had one of those nerve tests for carpal tunnel syndrome. Awfully painful, but it's over quickly. I'm glad you didn't make a big deal of it for Dar. That's ALL she'd need to hear.

    Have a great Memorial Day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It appears my ancestor's didn't throw a thing away. In the sale, there were many trunks of our great grandparents clothes! From the late 1800's, in great condition and were bought up quickly. It seems when they bought something, they bought the best and repaired it if it wore out.

      Delete
  3. the glass is beautiful...lot's of pretty details!!!

    i have had several EMG's, not so bad but i did not enjoy them!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have decided that one was enough for me, Debbie. :-) Plus, the doc that tested me, never smiled, never spoke, and was a bit rough when he inserted all the needles.

      Delete
  4. Not sure what they did to my legs, but it sounds like the same; needles. That's when they told me I had neuropathy. Luckily, it doesn't bother me too bad but boy howdy last night my legs were jumpin' all over. I'd run out of my meds but get the refill today.

    I think it's wonderful the help you're giving others in finding their ancestors, Judy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sal, I just think it is so important for people to know the blood and DNA they carry and where it all began. Especially enjoy doing a genealogy for someone that doesn't know much about their ancestors. There usually is an ancestor somewhere that did great things. Or, in my case, simple farmers who took care of the land God gave them, and a Grandpa that was a minister and Chaplain of the local KKK. HAH!

      Delete
    2. HAHAHA
      I think one of my uncles belonged to that "club". :)

      Delete
  5. LOVE the cruet set! SO darn pretty!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that beautiful set! What a treasure! I have Carpal Tunnel in my right hand. So far I keep it pretty stable by wearing a brace every night so I hope I never have to have an EMG!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your antique table set is gorgeous, Judy. I saw many tables set with those in the "Old Kentucky Home" boarding house run by the mother of American author Thomas Wolfe, in Asheville, North Carolina. Also I've never had an EMG but don't like any medical tests. I just grin (or grimace, as the case may be) and bear them. xoxo

    ReplyDelete