title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Thursday, May 5, 2016

Poohey Phooey On This Weather

As I was drifting off to sleep last night, God whispered in my ear, "Remember?  You've wanted to paint the ceiling in your living room for years?"

No, actually I had forgotten.  Which is so stupid because I have wanted to paint the popcorn ceiling in my living room, kitchen and hallway for about 7 years!!!  At the time when I painted all the walls in this place.  But I didn't have a tall enough ladder and I was told, that kind of finish is difficult to paint.  Get it too wet and it starts falling off in sheets!

The minute I woke up this morning, I knew.  "Carpeting is off the table right now.  Get this place painted!"  Seeing as how I can no longer (comfortably) do it myself, I am going to hire it done!!
=====================
I had an odd experience this afternoon.  On my way to Walmart to get groceries, I stopped in at the local carpet place to return the samples from Monday.  The owner was there.  I asked, "Do you carry Stain Master flooring?"

He said, "It's in a lot of carpets. I 'd have to know which brand."

"Stain Master carpet."

"Well, they use that in Shaw, Mohawk.  What color do you want."

No.  Stain Master is a stand alone carpet brand."

"I've never heard of it," he said.

I retreated to my car and thought, "Either I am going nuts or that guy mis-understood and thinks I was talking about a stain resistant product they put on carpets!"

Considering the fact that he has owned that business since 1974, I figured it was me.

So, I went back to Lowe's, which is next door to Walmart and talked to the guy I talked to yesterday.

"Is Stain Master a carpet brand?"

"Yes.  We have four rows of samples.  That's what you looked at yesterday."  and he looked at me like I had lost my mind.  So I had to explain my encounter with the carpet store owner.

"Oh.  That business only carries the very top brands of flooring.  He probably doesn't even know Stain Master exists."

That also explains why, on Monday when I was at the carpet store, when I told the guy what I wanted, he showed me two "perfect" colors, one beige and one gray, and these are only $6.95 a square foot.
With padding and installation, we can get you set up for around thirteen hundred dollars."

I think he was trying to push his beige and/or gray carpeting!!!  I don't like either color.
===================
So--then I drove on over to the Walmart parking lot and found a handicap parking spot right in front of the "Home" door.  Hung my tag on the mirror and off I went.  The sun wasn't shining, but it was a nice day.

I started down at the cat food end of the store and worked my way, across the back of the store to the grocery section.

There I was just a walking down the aisles, singing Doo Wah Diddy, Diddy Dum, Diddy Dee, snapping my fingers and shuffling my feet and having a great time.  I checked out, over full cart, walked back down to the exit and stepped out into a torrential, cold rain!!  By the time I got my "seventy-eleven" bags loaded in the trunk and back seat, I was chilled to the bone!

I got home and it was still pouring so I backed my car in, near the porch, came inside and got warmed up and just sat, watched TV and waited for the rain to stop.  Time?  3:41

At 5:00, I went out to unload.  After seventy-eleven trips in and out, I was just about to shut my trunk when John drove by, stopped, backed up and asked, "Would you like help?"

"Oh heck no!  I so enjoy carrying in 10 bags of Diet Pepsi liters, 15# of cat litter and all sorts of heavy stuff in the dang cold rain!"

Instead I said, "No.  I got it.  Thanks.

I got everything put away in the next few hours...except...10 bags of heavy Diet Pepsi liters that are still sitting by the front door.

Fiddle Dee Dee.  I'll worry about it tomorrow!



8 comments:

  1. I hate grocery shopping and laundry....47 yrs of it...tired.
    Kids today just are Not in the know!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe someone in the carpet business doesn't know about Stain Master brand. I think he did and didn't want to lose a sale.

    I was grocery shopping in the rain too. It was awful.

    Good luck finding someone to paint. This time of the year the good ones are busy with the building trade. I should paint and carpet, too, but the hassle of it turns me off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. popcorn ceilings can be painted, i know that because my home is filled with them. i don't hate them as much as other people do and we have painted ours twice with no problem. i'm sure a painter will tell you the same. our painter did not want to remove ours, did 2 coats and i have to tell you they look fine. i have very high ceilings in all the rooms, so they are not much of a focal point!!!

    we have had rain everyday this week, and it is suppose to rain everyday until and on sunday!!! seems we are getting april showers in may. my garage is attached to my house, a nice feature for carrying in groceries!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes--he said two coats on the ceilings, one coat on the walls because they aren't in bad shape. :-)

      Delete
  4. Doesn't it seem like EVERY thing takes longer than it used to? But probably because I'm watching TV while doing dishes or folding laundry, and I work at a normal pace only during commercials!!!

    And I have to ask them to pack my backs very light. Then I can take two at a time. But the soda would really build up my muscles!!!

    I love that we are helping you redecorate!! Lots of photos, please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. See? You're not crazy. Stain Master is a brand. This weather is weird and cold. I like that a plan came together, and I like that you're happy. Paint now. Carpet later. HIRE someone. Leave the darn bags until you get that second wind. See? Wisdom comes with age.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boy, that's a lot of heavy stuff. Our weather has been cool and rainy, too. Well, you're all stocked up on Pepsi again. I found ginger for 88 cents a bottle today. You need to drive by John's house a honk when you need him. I think he likes to help you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, John does seem to like helping you, Judy. It's too bad, though, he didn't come by sooner. I worry about you getting chilled by that cold rain! And, walking out to the parking lot while it's pouring. I didn't know you have a handicapped sticker; I hope that helps you a lot.

    I also hope you can find someone reasonable to do the painting. It was only a few years ago that I would have attempted doing things like that. It seems I'm getting slower, imagine that. LOL

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete