title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Mother Nature

It "appears" that Mother Nature has decided to finally give up May weather.  Of course, it's nearly June, but................................Mother Nature is a crazy old, starts with a B--itchy woman for sure!

I can't really get into the mood to weed gardens, plant flowers or paint my porch when the weather is cloudy, cold and rainy.  Perhaps it is just a state of mind, but I have always been affected by the weather.  When it is sunny and nice, I get energetic and crave to be outside.  When it is cloudy--I don't care if it's 70 degrees outside, I just don't have the fortitude or mood to do anything outside.
=====================
Today--I finally got the laundry done that I started Monday.  EGADS!!  However, I haven't taken a walk up to the lake since last fall--which I promised myself I would do every day.  I haven't re-made the dental appointment I canceled in March and, it's almost time for my six months check in with the doctor--blood draw included.

The time goes so fast, but when I look back, I haven't done a dang thing of any importance.  I think things are going to pick up however.

My sister and brother-in-law are FINALLY having the estate sale to get rid of the Great greats, Greats, Grands and father's stuff.  My ancestor's on my Dad's side never threw away a thing!  There are boxes and old farm equipment from the mid 1800's.  As well as clothes our great, great grandparents wore.  Plus dishes, an old, beautiful with nickle trim and dragon heads, wood cook stove as well as a wood/coal burning stove, looks similar to the cook stove, with ising glass front and sterling trim, that sat in the middle of the living room when I was a teeny little kid.

They have horsehair furniture, an old Victrola, a Wilton velvet carpet.  This is a treasure trove of antiques--for people that like that kind of thing.

The sale starts Thursday, with mostly antique buyers coming in early.  The Estate Sale planners have notified all the people they deal with.  They have also arranged and priced all the stuff.  It is not an auction and not a garage sale.  My sister and BIL, either leave for the day, or stay in the house.  They do not mingle.

Here's the link if you want to look at the stuff.

https://www.estatesales.net/MI/Byron/48418/1163664

I am a bit peeved that I see an old Fenton Stag and Ivy bowl that belonged to our Great Grandma and I had for 40 years but only returned it to her last year because I didn't use it very often and thought it should go back where it used to live, for sale.  If I had known it was going to leave the family, I would have kept the damn thing or given it to one of my girls!  I suppose I could sneak out tonight and steal it out of the garage?

I have realized later this afternoon that I mustn't look at any more of the photos.  I am old enough to remember visiting the Great Grand Parents and seeing or using most of the stuff.  There goes my heritage and it breaks my heart.....but I need to be practical--right?

16 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! The farmer would love this sale! Really, it must be very sad to see it all go. Although we have nothing of importance to part with, (except tractors, lol) I dread the day when strangers come to take away what we've worked for all our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That will be a great, quality sale! Don and I would have loved going to it. You should copy all the photos so you can still "keep" the memories they trigger. I'll bet your sister would pull that Fenton Stag and Ivy bowl out of the sale for you if you called her. Love all the buttons and that bath tub.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree with Jean, Judy. I'm sure if your sister knew you wanted it back, she would gladly agree.

      Delete
  3. I remember you giving that treasured piece of your history to her! I remember wondering if I could be that generous!Being practical is one thing but knowing that part of your past will be gone and feeling sad about it is another matter. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Jean R. You have a great relationship with Susan, can't you ask for a piece or two or ten??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Over the past four years, Susan has invited all my kids and grand girls out to the farm and had them pick out anything they might want from the "old Folks" stuff. She gave each girl a quilt our Great Grand Mother had made--there were 10 of them to choose from. Pammie got an old horse drawn plow that she has in her yard in the midst of a flower garden, plus an old milk can. I have a few feed sacks with my Great Grand Fathers name stenciled on that I use as a throw pillow case. I still have pieces of glassware that belong to G. Grandma. We all had a chance to pick out a crock, I got one that I use on my porch each summer that I put a plant in. Really, I have enough "stuff", and don't need anymore. I am trying to downsize stuff right now myself. It just felt strange to see some things that I remember so well and grew up with in the sale. Being 13 years older than my sister, I remember the Great Grand Parents and spent time with them. She didn't have that privilege. I was raised entirely different than she was. I was always out in the barns and the fields with the men, helping do farm chores, hearing them talk about how important the land was to our family, that sort of thing. They were dead by the time she arrived and she was more a home maker kind of girl. She didn't like the smell of the barn/cows/sheep/chickens. She does not have the attachment to the stuff or the land like I do. Someday, all 600 acres of the three farms will be out of the family. My son, who lives where I was born, has no children. My daughter Pam, who lives where I raised my family on my Grand Parents farm, has no children. Susan's son has no interest in moving "out in the sticks", plus when she and Chuck get really old, they will probably sell the Ancestor's Homestead and move closer to her son. SO--------- I hope I die before any of this happens. :-) Plus--there is a "maybe" I haven't told any of you as yet. This sale could turn into a real blessing for me. I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I sure hope so, Judy! You're deserving of whatever it is. :)

      Delete
  6. Ooo I'm intrigued now and can't wait to hear about your blessing! I'm imagining all sorts of wonderful things!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is sure some neat stuff there. It must be very hard to watch it go.

    I hope whatever the 'maybe' is turns into a definitely. Can't wait to hear what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is good news and bad news. So much history leaving the family. But finding homes where they will be lovingly appreciated. TAKE PHOTOS of everything you want to remember! Downsizing is a tough thing. I know it affects you more than any of your family ... because you have the genealogy gene. Can't wait to hear the news!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my
    in past years this would have interested me
    but now
    down scaled.
    So many wonderful items
    in a way
    sad to go outside family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow girl, looking at some of those pics took me down memory lane. Holy cow, that's a lot of stuff. That stove? I believe my grandmother had one very similar. You know, I wish I could sit for even a few hours in her old house. I still can't look over at the corner where her house was. So many, many memories like you, my friend.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm replying to myself - Actually, I'm not all that enthused about going back over to W. FL but Hunter wants to go; she Britt and I went to the last family reunion when Hunt was about four I think. I need to look for the picture I took of her sitting at a kitchen table with three cousins; she was enthralled. :)

      Delete
  11. I think the older we get the more some of these memories mean to us? I am too sentimental for my own good. One day, I took a trip around this area to visit ALL the houses I had lived in, even for a short time. A lot of those places carried bad memories, but I just wanted to see if they were still there. I can't go back up to Saginaw to see the adorable house I lived in for 12 years. Those years were good and I thought they'd last forever. I put a lot of heart/soul and work into that house and had to leave it--not by choice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What blessing might have come of it? Do tell! Now that special stuff is in somebody else's hands and in your memories. Have you made peace with it all?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely things. I looked at all the photos. But Judy, it's just stuff. The memories are in your heart, never to be bought or sold. xoxo

    ReplyDelete