title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Fixes and Fakes


The repair guy was here at 11:30 to fix the leak in the back of my refrigerator.  It was a loose connection where the water line goes into the fridge and feeds up into the ice maker.  I have the incoming water turned off, so why was it leaking?

"So much lime and rust that you can't get the intake handle turned all the way off!"

So, if and when I get my new FREE fridge, I will let the installers worry about shutting off the water completely.  My new fridge will not have an ice maker, which is okay with me.  Our water here is so bad that I prefer making ice cubes out of bottled water anyway.
=================
So--there I was, climbing my way up another family tree.  Doing really well, branch after branch, with all data looking correct.  Up around the 10th branch, I was hunting for Matthew's parents names and I thought I had them.

To make sure, I clicked on another website, the one from the Mormon Church in Utah, which is supposed to have the best records and this is what I found:


"When Matthew XXXXX was born August 29, 1576, his father John was 6 and his mother Mary Alice was 5."

WHOA!  We have a miracle birth here!  His father was 6 and his mother 5?  YOWZA!
=========================
I run into this kind of thing all the time!  Once, I had written down six children, filled in all their data, only to discover that four of them were born after their "supposed" father had died!

How does this happen?

People doing their own genealogical searching see a person designated as anothers' father or child and throw in the dates and "assume" all is well.  Most of the time they don't check the data deeply enough to see the errors.  Then they upload it to the Internet genealogy search sites and................it becomes "carved in stone."
===================
Our weather here is still in the 30's at night.  I am not even considering spending money and planting my planter pots with annuals until Memorial Day.  I have always planted on May 15th, but not this year.  The soil is still too cold to plant seeds.  The soil is still too wet to even get out and work up the garden.  It's weird and maddening!!!

But life is very good--so I don't worry about insignificant things like planting on May 15th or May 30th. :-)

11 comments:

  1. You sure are a super sleuth with this genealogy stuff! You really could make pretty good money doing it. Friends and family discount, of course. Referrals? Much more! Might be good pocket money.

    In Oregon, we rarely planted until Memorial Day. Usually after. Maui? All year round. Common Michigan "indoor" plants thrive outdoors. Poinsettias grow outdoors. We have palm trees, evergreen, deciduous, eucalyptus, cactus. Just perfect for old ladies who like to putter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I get so high up in the branches of a family tree--I get a headache. LOL

      Delete
  2. I've never had an ice maker in a refrigerator. They seem like more trouble than they're worth and with a dog, well...many dogs learn how to get their own ice and that's not a good thing if they make an afternoon game of it and it melts all over the floor.

    Where is your favorite place to do genealogy research? I mostly used Ancestry but have been to Mormon Church and of course Grave Finder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ice maker is way up high in the freezer. It would have to be quite a smart dog to get up there, open the freezer door and pull out ice cubes. HAH! Yes I use Ancestry (lots of mistakes in there) and Find a Grave. When I clicked on Matthew's "leaf" it took me to the LDS site. I use Family Tree Maker to add all the info, then I can print out family group sheets, pedigrees, things like that. Then I compile all the info, print out and put into a book, with whatever photos, clippings, stories about that family member, so it makes more sense than just names and dates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing more boring or hard to understand than just a pedigree, with just names and dates. I also make my own pedigree chart in Excel, so I can print that out for each family group. I have it copied on 8.5 x 11 paper and fold it up so it can be unfolded, no matter how long it is, and looked at.

      Delete
    2. My dog could reach the ice makers in the door. My sister-in-laws dog taught himself how to get ice cubes by bouncing on the lever where you put your glass.

      Delete
    3. I saw that on a Face Book video today. 4 dogs getting ice cubes out of the door of a side-by-side.

      Delete
  4. LOL His father was 6 and his mother was 5. Hey, maybe in the 1500's...

    Have great fun searching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are such a worker bee on this genealogy stuff. How lucky are the people you do this for. Hope you do get the free fridge. Ice makers can be a pain anyway. When there's a problem with a fridge, it's often the ice make. They can make a lot of trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haaahaha, I've made such assumptions in cemeteries too, momentarily, then "done the math" and had to start all over again. What fun. It's cool here too; we are enjoying it so much but I will also like it when it's warm enough to use the pool. xoxo

    ReplyDelete