title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

HELP!!!

I am not a home decorator by any means!  I have a sort of Emerald Green carpeting in my living room, den and bedroom.  It look(ed) great, but at 18 years old, the carpeting in the living room is awful now.  

There are many places where it is worn through to the jute!  It feels crunchy under foot.  The last time I had it shampooed, the carpet cleaner guy said, "This really isn't going to help too much."

I only need a 14 x 14' piece, 196 square feet.so I am hoping to get a remnant or end of roll, or whatever they call it.  Yesterday, I went looking, just for the heck of it.  YOWZA!

I certainly can't afford a new couch and chair, so the blue has to stay, with the cranberry accents.







I have NO idea what color to get!

I brought home a hanger of small samples.  How I am suppose to tell how those small pieces will look on the larger area, is beyond me!

Remember when Berber was so popular?  Well, now it isn't and it is dirt cheap!  There was a sample of the Berber, kind of a light off white/beige, with a teeny fleck of cranberry and blue in it.  But ya know, that would be so impractical, because my outside door opens right into the living room.  Plus, Berber doesn't feel exactly soft and comfy under bare feet, which it my mode of foot covering while in the house.

I know I am not suppose to buy carpeting to match furniture, but I have no choice.  So--if any of you still have carpeting in your home, help me out here?

Gray?  Beige?  Try and match what is already there?

13 comments:

  1. Choose any neutral shade you feel comfortable with. It will match anything. Neutrals are always "in vogue."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Choose any neutral shade you feel comfortable with. It will match anything. Neutrals are always "in vogue."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that sample in your photo. To me it's perfect with your walls, woodwork, and couch. Berber might not be soft under bare feet BUT it's the safest/best carpeting you can get for aging in place. For one thing you can move a wheelchair or walker over it easily and you can't with nap. If you get to a point where you're shuffle walking it's better than nap which can be a trip a hazard. I have a light color Berber and have had it for over a decade. I have two doorways leading outside and it doesn't show dirt. I use Scotch Guard after it's cleaned yearly for an extra $15. I have good throw rugs to wipe your feet outside and in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Jean, but since Berber isn't comfortable under the feet, what about a darker pile rug, a darker blue than you have now? That wouldn't show dirt quickly and would look yummy under the couch. I myself have a warmer toned Berber plus a runner in my heavily trafficked area, not my living space. The practical runner on top of the Berber tends to creep sideways, always in need of re-adjustment. Don't know if that happens with a pile rug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember what color Judy's cats are but I THINK one of them is light colored and if so, the hair would show up badly on dark blue carpeting. Just saying...

      Delete
  5. Agree with Jean. I love the sample, and think it would gorgeous in your home.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm voting no to berber. Kitties might get a claw stuck in a loop ... I go for COMFORT on your toes! Whatever color makes you feel happy. Once it's in, you will only notice the foot feel. Like a frame on art ... rarely do people remember the frame ... just what's in it! If you change your walls or furniture ... bring it together with pillows and throws.

    Another humble opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes cats always seem to get their claws twisted up in looped carpeting. Is the pictures above looped? It looks like it. A neutral colour would look nice in whatever you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the berber is a good choice and although it may be out of style, I don't think that is really important to you. It is fairly neutral, very durable and will go/match well if at some point you do buy new furniture!! Some pretty light colored pillows would look good on your couch!! This was fun for me as I really like decorating!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The sample you have in your photo is almose what I have in my family room. The walls are paneled (hate them!) and my furniture is cranberry colored. It looks really nice together! I lover berber carpet but its true, I am always afraid of what the kittie claws could do with the loops!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would go very neutral, something soft on the feet BUT I would also install something like ceramic tile or laminate or whatever in a small area right inside the front door where people can wipe (or better yet remove) their shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh girl I despise carpet although I do have it in my house. I would go with as neutral a color as possible, but maybe a bit on the darker side so as to hide dirt. Good luck xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have beige in the bedrooms then tile in the hall dining room and kitchen and wood in the living room...
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete