title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Weekend Catch Up

Saturday's high temperature was:  57 degrees--sunny afternoon
Sunday's high temperature was: 56--sunny afternoon
===========================================
Saturday

I painted the top of the railing on the porch and the hand-rails.  I didn't stain them---I painted them--like I wanted to last fall and the guy at Lowe's told me a stain would be better.  HAH--once again, I listened to a man, thinking he would know the best.  When will I learn?  Anyway, the stain did not stand up very well during the winter.  I had bird scratches and squirrel scratches all over the top of the railing and I couldn't wash it off.  

I hadn't liked the way the hand railings felt either--sort of rough.  So---I bought a small can of heavy-duty paint and I gave them both a double coat.  The hand railing feels as smooth as a baby's behind and the top of the railing on the porch will be so much easier to clean off now.  I can wash it just as I would a door or window frame.

As I was painting, these two came walking down between my place and the neighbors.  By the time I got in the house and grabbed my camera, they were over in Jackie's lawn and driveway.  I walked over, quite close to them and they weren't even afraid.  They walked on down the road--headed to the lake, I presume.





I am really worried about Pearl.  I know that her memory is failing--really failing, but today she was belligerent--kind of.  

She opened up my front door and said, "Why would you have your door closed?  It's hot outside." and she sort of slammed it open.
<the temperature was 54>

We got to talking about the "new" Mega church down the way, the 2/42 church.

I said, "How did they come up with that name?"

"It's some scripture.  Found in the Old Testament.  The book of Ares."

"There is no book called Ares in the Bible.  Ares is the Greek God of war."

"Where did you come up with that!? Read me the names of the books of the Bible."

<so I did>

I said, "Perhaps it is in Acts?  In the New Testament.  The Old Testament is all about the Jewish religion, maybe a new church would be founded with New Testament ways?  About Jesus?

"No--that doesn't sound right."

<so I just dropped it>

Later found it in Act 2:42-47  It is called the Fellowship of Believers.
==============
Then, she started in about her dermatologist, Doctor Piro--the same one Dar goes to and I went to once.

Pearl has been going to him for years and most recently, twice a month for the last 5 months.  She has to go back this Tuesday--last week she told me she had no appointments this week and we were going on our adventure, this Tuesday.  Apparently she had forgotten? 
<I didn't bring it up>

"I don't really like him, " she said.  "He has no bedside manner at all.  He is very curt, but he is good."

"Does he still have his office up by the hospital?  Doctor Piro?"

"How did you say his name?"

"Peer Oh."

"No that's not it.  It's pronounced Pee Roh.  Gary Pee Roh."

"How is it spelled?"

"P Y R O."

"Oh, I thought it was P I R O.  Pyro would be pronounced pyro--like a pyromaniac."

"Well, I oughta know how it's spelled.  I have a lot of his name cards at home!"

"Oh.  Okay."

Then she got up to leave and I walked out onto the porch with her to show her my paint job.

"How am I going to get down these steps with wet paint on the rails?"

"It isn't wet anymore.  I painted them three hours ago and it is fast drying paint."

"No paint is that fast drying!!"

<so I swiped my hand down the railing to show her>

"Feels dry to me.  Did you get paint on your hands when you came up the steps?"

"No.  But--well, you just can never tell!"

"I'll walk down with you.  I've got to get my mail."

"What does that have to do with wet railings?"

"Ah--nothing.  I just need to get my mail."

"Boy...these treads on your steps sure collected dirt and leaves."

"Yeah.  I haven't swept them yet this year."

"What are all these red things all over your drive and your car?"

"Those are buds that fall of the Maple trees."

"No--must be something else.  Maple trees don't lose their buds like that.  What a mess you have!"
<Geez Louise--gripe, gripe, gripe>

I walk down the driveway and across the street with her.  She toddles off down the street, stops for a minute and yells back, "When I get home I will call you and tell you how doctor Pee Roh spells his name!"

"Okay."  I got my mail and came back in.

What is happening to my Friend?  I have never had any contact with people with memory problems or senility and I don't quite know what to do.  I thought I was helping her remember stuff, but I don't think she likes for me to correct her or try and explain anything.  Perhaps I just need to agree with everything she says?  By the way--she didn't call back.  I Googled Doctor Pee Roh and found him.  Doctor Gregory Piro--Not Gary Pyro.

============
Sunday--

It was only 45 degrees when I got up.  I went to church and...there was no heat in the sanctuary...and I hadn't taken my coat.  By the time I got home, I felt chilled clear through to my bones.

Merle and Pearl came done this later afternoon.  He cut two inches off the legs of the table that goes by my chair.  I have hated that table ever since Fred brought it into this house.  It was so much higher than my chair that, every time I reached for my Diet Pepsi, I'd bang my wrist on the table edge and end up with a blood bruise.

I also had my recliner back off, tightening up the screws to keep the back straighter and Merle helped me put it back together.

Pearl was just fine today.  Maybe her sugar was off yesterday or something, because today, she seemed quite sharp.
======================
I  hope you are all safe from the severe storms that are rolling through off and on all this week!  GEEZ!!




7 comments:

  1. It's so hard to watch friends and family have bad days like Pearl did. Any number of things can feed into failing memory and bad moods and people do get defensive when they feel themselves slipping. It's scary to think it can happen to us as well and we might not even know it's happening. Pleasant thought to start out the week. LOL

    Clothing stores are probably going nuts because no one is buying or wearing summer clothing yet around here. Going to be some good sales later on. Stay dry and warm this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully, Pearl was just having an "off " day. But, Judy after seeing my dad begin to struggle, my advice would be to just let her be without trying to correct her. I found that it only exacerbates the problem leaving the person even more confused. Does that make sense?

    I'm praying also for the folks in that horrific tornado struck area(s).

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad died from dementia. I had to put him in an assisted living facility, so I observed many folks there with him. Some really get mean. They are difficult to deal with. Some become "sexual" and I won't go into that detail. It is very difficult to deal with someone you love who is no longer themselves. Their brain no longer has the "stops" we have learned are appropriate for our civilized behavioirs. My heart goes out to Pearl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom had Alzheimer's Disease and we took care of her for 10 yrs. (most of the care fell on my dad) When she was in the Alz. unit...the nurses told us not to correct her...it only adds to her agitation. We want loved ones to be the same and know the answers, but that just can't be anymore. So, we just do the best we can and enjoy the visits and try to change the subject when we can.
    Hang in there....Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Pearl, it must be awful to feel like nothing makes sense anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry Pearl is struggling. It is so hard to watch. It does sound like the beginnings of dementia or something. When my grandma and great aunt began those types of comments, I just said okay. Yep, I know. that seemed to be the best way and they didn't get upset with me like they did with those who wanted to correct them. If it's not somthing that's going to harm her or another, I say it's not that big of a deal. Like Sally said and I think someone else above - it helps them not be even more agitated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sad about Pearl. I've kind of guessed over the past year as you've mentioned other instances. Still, it must be hard to see her slipping. We all hope it won't be us. She's lucky to have a good friend like you, Judy.

    ReplyDelete