title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Monsters Under The House and Messengers of Spring

Today's high temperature was: 62 degrees
Sunny all weekend
===============================

I heard a weird sound that woke me up Saturday morning.  I couldn't figure it out for a minute.  I got up and went into the bathroom--where the noise was coming from.  Something inside the cupboard under the sink.

Maggie likes to claw that door open and go in there.  GEEZ!! 

Just as I was about to open the door and let her out, she and Buddy walked into the bathroom.  

WHAT?

If Maggie isn't in the cupboard--what in the heck is?

I closed the bathroom door and told the kids, "You kids, get ready for whatever comes out!"  I figured if it was a squirrel, chipmunk or mouse the kids would get it and I could bash it on the head.  I had the toilet plunger ready!

The Kids were waiting--they had heard the noise too.  It sounded like a really big animal....I stepped over to the side of the cupboard, reached down and opened the door real quick.

Nothing.

Maggie ran into the cupboard, Buddy stayed way over by the door.

Nothing.

The digging and gnawing sound started up again.  

Remember when I had the frozen pipe this winter?  The plumber told me that something had dug between the skirting and the foundation and left a hole for the bitter cold wind to go under the house and freeze up the pipe.  He said he packed the hole really good with snow so nothing could get in there.  Well, my Friends, the snow is gone and...something got in there.

8:30 a.m.--33 degrees--I pulled on my jeans and sweatshirt and went out and around the house.  I pulled back the sticks and leaves that were piled up there and saw the hole very clearly.  Not big enough for a Wood Chuck or a Skunk (thank you God), but big enough for a small animal.  

I opened it up as wide as I could get it, then came back inside and when the noise started up again, I picked up an aerosol can of room spray and started pounding on the floor of the cupboard.  Pounded and pounded and yelled and pounded some more.  The noise stopped and I figured the critter had left.

Got in the car, ran up to the Mid-Town Market and got two big boxes of D-Con , 6 chocolate covered cherries and came back home.  

I pounded some more and then went out and opened both boxes of D-Con and slipped them under and onto the cement slab.  Then I filled the hole with rocks and broken pieces of cement and lastly, a long 2 x 2 piece of timber (like used for raised garden beds) and covered it all with dirt.

Then, I came inside and ate 3 of the chocolate covered cherries.

So far, so good.
=============================
Then I checked out my gardens.  They need the leaves raked off, but I think it is too soon.  We have to wait until there is no chance of snow.  I have a lot of Tulips and Daffodils coming up and...these little messengers of spring.
Crocus

I honestly don't know where these Crocus bulbs
came from.  I didn't plant them.  I would never
just plant 2 Crocus.


 The Gold Finch are turning bright yellow really quickly
Two weeks ago, they were a greenish color

I watched the Final Four last night--end of the NCAA Basketball tournament.  I was rooting for Wisconsin to win--they were ahead and then--DANGGIT--they lost in the last few seconds.  Tomorrow night Kentucky and Connecticut play for the Championship--I don't care who wins, but it will be a good game.

Then, when I was brushing my teeth before bed--half a back tooth fell out!!!

Number 18 tooth--farthest back left, bottom molar.  That filling has held for a year, which is some kind of record.  This is the one my dentist has repaired for me FREE for the last five years and we talked that "next time it falls out, you should get a crown, before all the tooth breaks away."

Oh Goody!!!
============================
By Gosh--I actually woke up before the alarm this morning so I made it to church.  As I was driving in and thinking to myself about how I've had 3 costly things I have had to contend with since February and now--an $800.00 crown?  "God, I know you will get me through all of this, but...could you throw down some money to help?"  and then I laughed.

Parked the car and got out to walk into church and there, laying on the cement driveway, was a penny.  I bent down and picked it up--it was heads facing up--looked skyward and said, "Thanks God--it's a start."

Today's sermon was about Angels.  How the Angel of God came to Gethsemane to be with Jesus and how we have Angels watching over us.  Now--I've never been too much into Angels.  Sure, Angels were out when Jesus was born and after He rose and before that with Daniel and Jacob and others, but...I never figured Angels would care much about a measly human like me.  

We sang mostly songs about Angels this morning and then at the end of the sermon, the pastor had us sing, "All Night, All Day, Angels Watching Over Me Oh Lord."  Then, he'd put in a verse and we'd sing that chorus.  I just about cracked up when he sang, "My car is broke and left me in the lurch," (Angels watching over me Oh Lord)  "I guess I'll have to walk to church," (Angles watching over me.)

So, when I got to him in the "hand shake" line, I had to tell him my tale of woe and also finding the penny,"

"See...God does answer prayer," he said.  "You just need to be more specific on the amount you need,"

===================
Wanted to buy gas on the way home--I am down to 1/4 tank, but it is back up in price...again!

I took my first walk this afternoon.  I walked quite briskly for 100 steps and my back was hurting like crazy.  So I walked another 50 steps and then pushed myself for another 50--I have to at least get down to the Heart Tree--200 steps.  I made it, but on the way back, I stopped in at Merle and Pearl's, to give them the bulletin from church and to rest--my hips were burning!!!  

So--I will keep it up, each day it is nice, and eventually make it down to the lake--400 steps.  I wish I could walk farther and enjoy it---maybe if I didn't walk so fast, I could?  I know I could with my Walker, because I can walk all over the store with a cart to sort of lean on, BUT--I am too proud to get the walker out of the shed and use it.  

This is the tree Fred told me about.  
He said it always reminded him of me.
So I call it my Heart Tree

I so love this weather!!!!  Love these spring days.  Not hot and humid--not chilly--just perfect!!!

Tonight, when I go to bed and pray for all my family and friends and thank God for all He has given me, I will have a"talk" with God, I will be more specific.    "Thank you for the penny and the help from the State, God.  Now, could you perhaps drop about ten grand on me so I can become debt free?  Thank you, God."

I can hear the chuckle now..."Not just yet.  We need to keep you humble."

We'll see what tomorrow brings.  Okay?

6 comments:

  1. I've got to start walking again, too. Not one of my favorite activities. We still have a little snow left but it's going fast so I have no excuses left.

    I love your heart tree.

    I have a billfold that needs replacing and it bleeds coins all over the place. I guess that makes me a foot soldier for God, leaving coins for people who are looking for signs to find and enjoy. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have two crowns to put in next week! Proposed treatment plan says $1742.00 ~ I'll do my walking in the chicken houses to pay for that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, you know how I hate going to the dentist. They hurt you and then bill you for it. Well, look how cheerful I am.

    H got the leaves off our flower beds yesterday. He's ready to put mulch down, but it's cold again today and raining. That's okay. It will be back in the seventies in a couple of days. Spring is coming, no matter what.

    I loved your varmint story. We laughed out loud. I can see you standing there with your two kitties and at the ready with the plunger. LOL That was a clever fix, though, and I hope it works.

    I hope you get the answer to your prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I wonder who has been making all that noise under your house!! The visual of Maggy and Buddy lined up to help you is just too funny. M brother and his wife had squirrels in their ceilings for quite a while and their cats went crazy.
    Loved the photos of Spring....we have yet to see and little flowers although when we raked yesterday we found some little green shoots.
    Great that you are back to walking and I love the way you are counting your steps and then building up to where youw ant to be. Such a great plan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did rake out the flower beds - I couldn't stand it another minute! Love the crocus. Can't wait to see something blooming here.
    Now miss, about your $$. Have you ever thought about why we ask in the Lord's Prayer for "our daily bread?" He doesn't teach us to ask for our weekly bread, or our monthly bread. We ask for daily bread. Enough to get us through the day...that's how I like to think about $$. Having never had an abundance of it, just enough and that's enough. Do I wish I had a whole bunch sitting around that I could use for greater good, yes. But I don't so and what I do have is proof in the past and faith that God does provide just what I need....Unfortunately, that's not always what I want. It is enough. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, yes I did chuckle there, Judy. :)

    I love your heart tree, and good for you on the walking.

    You mentioned the state; did you get approved for help? I hope so,
    you're so deserving.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete