title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Friday, April 18, 2014

Review of Movie

Today's high temperature was:  65 degrees
Cloudy and spotty sprinkles
===============================

Pearl and I went to the 10:30 showing of "Heaven Is For Real" this morning.  

On the short ride in, Pearl made a comment, "Is this movie going to make us cry?"

"I don't think so," I said.

"I find the older I get, the less I cry," she replied.

"That's odd isn't it?  Usually the older a person gets, the more more emotional they get, the more they cry.  Especially if they have medical problems.  I know people that have had a stroke, cry quite a bit.  There's a name for it, but I can't remember."

"Well--I don't expect to cry a bit," she said.

"I have my hanky, just in case," I said.

During the last of the movie, I see her dabbing her eyes.  I just sat and smiled through the whole thing.  Isn't it strange that watching the same movie, two people, much alike in their beliefs, would get different reactions.

I had read the book a few weeks after Fred died and it made me very happy.  I felt the same way with this movie.  It follows the book exactly.  The little boy who plays the main part, acts so natural--like someone is following him around with a video camera and just shooting his actions and words.  He doesn't "act" like an actor.

It is based on a real life happening.  There is absolutely no way the little boy could have known the things he told his parents about, unless, he had actually been in Heaven.  I found it humorous that his father, a minister and his mother didn't believe him at first.  Even the psychiatrist that explained all the scientific reasons why the boy had these "hallucinations", at the end of the movie believed him.  There can be no other explanation.

What is the neatest thing is the actress, Margo Martindale, when first asked to be in the movie, didn't believe in the whole story at all--didn't really believe in Heaven being real--just a "maybe" in our lives.  After she read the book and met with the family, she is now a woman of true faith.  THAT is what I find the most amazing.

If you are not a person who believes in that sort of thing--this movie might give you a reason to think--perhaps.  If you are a person of faith--this movie just reinforces your beliefs.

It is a beautiful movie and I felt very peaceful and happy while I was watching it and---for the rest of today.

===========================
I have had a fear of death--I think most of us do.  For some reason, and I cannot tell you why, when Fred died, I lost that fear.  It was as if I couldn't quit smiling all the time.  People thought I was in shock or acted rather weird, but for some reason, I just felt so happy that he was in Heaven and never having to have pain or struggles anymore.  I still feel that same way and look forward to that day.  I so want to see my Mother--I know for sure she is there.  

I still have a fear of dying.  That is much different.  The process of dying.  The pain.  The look on my family's faces when they realize I am dying.  We all want to go in our sleep--most of us won't.  Or, like Bethie's son--just take a breath and pass.  I might just change my mind about Hospice and how they over medicate dying people, sending them into a sort of coma state with the Morphine.  Perhaps that is the way to go?

I love the way Fred died.  Sitting up, laughing, talking, kissing me, saying, I love you, with a smile on his face and gone in a few minutes.  He wasn't scared a bit.  He was just going to have a minor procedure and.....I often wonder what his reaction was.  

"WOW!  How did I get here?  This is beautiful!"

12 comments:

  1. Judy,
    I haven't read the book or seen the movie. Glad you and Pearl enjoyed it. As for fearing death, like you, I don't fear the end but the process. Dad was oxygen-starved at the end, and he was also starving because he couldn't swallow. We did have Hospice, and I was so glad I didn't have to watch him continue to struggle for those last few days. I don't know if you will change your mind in the end, but whatever happens, I hope your wishes are honored. Fred had the right idea, though, didn't he? Sweet and vibrant right up until the end. You're right, most of us won't go that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd like it, Bella. The book is a quick read if you want to try that first.

      Delete
  2. I also fear the way I might die, not so much what happens after that. I don't want to die in a car accident, fire or be a crime victim.

    I haven't seen the movie or read the book but the fact that the little boy's father is a minister makes me pretty sure he had a clear image of what heaven is like before his near-death experience just by absorbing his father's sermons and conversations with members of his congregation. I'm glad the movie effects people in a positive way, though. We don't have enough feel-good things out in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was only 4. He didn't die and then come back--his experience happened while he was "near" death in the hospital. Months later he told his Dad that he had seen Pop--his Dad grandfather--a person he had never met or even heard of. Then he told his Mom about the little girl he met who kept hugging him and was his sister--this was a child that had been still born to them before he was born--and he had never heard a word about it. Quite incredible for the child to "know" these others, and what they looked like, when he had no previous knowledge of them

      Delete
    2. Well, now I really want to see it! Thank you, Judy!
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. I have not seen the movie but I have the book and believe it. Hope you have a wonderful Easter. Vickie Okc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You gotta go see it Vickie--you will love it and walk away with a very calm, peaceful feeling.

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you liked the movie. Actually, I haven't been to one in years, but this one I might. As for hospice, when Mom was there they sure didn't over medicate her. In fact, she was in so much pain and I mentioned that to the dr. That night they gave her morphine, and she passed early the next morning. At first, my thoughts were that maybe I shouldn't have asked the dr but later I realized, it was the right thing. When I got there that morning and saw her my first reaction was how beautiful she looked, no strain, no wrinkles, no more worry.

    Happy Easter, Judy. I hope you have a wonderful day.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blessings on you and your family, Ms. Sally

      Delete
  5. I think my favorite part was when his Dad was showing him pictures of Jesus and the boy kept saying, "No, that's not him," then when he saw the picture the girl from Lithuania had painted years before and the boy said, "That's him." I have that picture of Jesus in my computer room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree - I have a fear of pain being a part of death. Really though - it just makes me an angry that I won't be around to see what happens later - like what my grandchildren do in life, their children, and on and on!!! Selfish I guess. And nosey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way. I want to see ALL my GREAT grand children born and grow up. Maybe we can? That would be cool!

      Delete